PDA

View Full Version : Want to go active, what tweets?

bigbirney420
05-08-2008, 02:02 PM
I love my DLS, but I want to try active. I want to do 2 way and I have a great set of Morel HU 621 mids. I need a set of good tweets. I was looking at the Legatia, but I am worried they might not play low enough for just 6.5 inch mid. I want a soft dome.

alxmlr789
05-08-2008, 02:04 PM
Vifa textile domes on madisound.

They are excellent tweets, VERY laid back (which is my type of tweet). They are 6 ohm though, only downfall. But, they only need 25-40w to get "loud"

dragnix
Vifa xt tweeters are pretty popular for running active. Never had a chance to hear one though :(

dragnix
Vifa textile domes on madisound.

They are excellent tweets, VERY laid back (which is my type of tweet). They are 6 ohm though, only downfall. But, they only need 25-40w to get "loud"

what's wrong with 6ohm?

I want SExxx
05-08-2008, 02:06 PM
yea the xt 25s are nice. I just picked up some of the tangbands that PE has for 14 bucks on sale and those sound amazing for the money. Just look through madisound and PE you can search hundreds of tweeters.

alxmlr789
05-08-2008, 02:08 PM
what's wrong with 6ohm?

Nothin wrong with it, just wont see as much power. I like them bc it allows my amp to run cooler, and more efficiant. Higher impedence speakers tend to shun people due to the fact that the speakers wont see as much power. I didnt like the higher impedance drivers until i read the thread over on DIY, completely changed my mind.

djman37
05-08-2008, 02:11 PM
I had good luck when I called Maidsound and talked to a guy. He knew the driver I was using for a mid and we came up with a good solution.
My XT25's are more directional than I would like....meaning they don't like to fire across my windsheild. If you can point them at you, they rock.

dragnix
05-08-2008, 02:12 PM
Nothin wrong with it, just wont see as much power. I like them bc it allows my amp to run cooler, and more efficiant. Higher impedence speakers tend to shun people due to the fact that the speakers wont see as much power. I didnt like the higher impedance drivers until i read the thread over on DIY, completely changed my mind.

reason why i was asking :cool:

alxmlr789
05-08-2008, 02:13 PM
I had good luck when I called Maidsound and talked to a guy. He knew the driver I was using for a mid and we came up with a good solution.
My XT25's are more directional than I would like....meaning they don't like to fire across my windsheild. If you can point them at you, they rock.

Exactly. I loved the sound of the XT 25's when they were pointed DIRECTLY at me, when they were off axis, the sound just wasnt there.

to the OP, are your tweets gonna be on, or off axis?

alxmlr789
05-08-2008, 02:14 PM
reason why i was asking :cool:

I guess i worded it wrong, it's not a downfall in the least.

woops :crap:

bigbirney420
05-08-2008, 02:49 PM
Exactly. I loved the sound of the XT 25's when they were pointed DIRECTLY at me, when they were off axis, the sound just wasnt there.

to the OP, are your tweets gonna be on, or off axis?

Off axis, Mids in bottom of door tweets in pillars or at top of the doors near side view mirror mount

Fast1one
05-08-2008, 04:41 PM
You should look into the Seas 27TFFNCG Fabric. Small foot print, front mount, easily crossed over at 2-2.5khz depending on slope, 31 bucks at madisound...

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45_229_270_324&products_id=1466

bigbirney420
05-08-2008, 04:47 PM
You should look into the Seas 27TFFNCG Fabric. Small foot print, front mount, easily crossed over at 2-2.5khz depending on slope, 31 bucks at madisound...

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45_229_270_324&products_id=1466

Believe it or not I was looking at those

ItalynStylion
05-08-2008, 06:47 PM
Believe it or not I was looking at those

That makes two of us ;) I've been all over that site for the past couple of days. I should be studying for my last final though...

You should get them Birney. That way we can install them and I'll get to hear them before I buy them :D

tcguy85
05-08-2008, 07:29 PM
seas neo's with the aluminum dome... http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45_229_250&products_id=633

ItalynStylion
05-09-2008, 12:50 AM
seas neo's with the aluminum dome... http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45_229_250&products_id=633

Off axis response seems to hold up a little better past 10k on those vs the silks. Other than that, can you say what difference you have heard while owning the Alum domes? Have you heard the silks too? I'm just curious as far as timbre what the difference is between them.

I know on DIYM you said that they were a bit overpowering but you lowered them by 3db and then bolstered the 8k and 12k range and it worked out well for you.

Looking at both response graphs it looks like the silks have a smoother response overall and seem to be a little more efficient.

bigbirney420
05-09-2008, 12:53 AM
I have to have silks, I dont dig metal response, so I think thats what I will go with

RAM_Designs
05-09-2008, 12:57 AM
what I use: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-834

Work pretty good off-axis, and you can cross them as low as 2khz with a 4th order if you don't blare your system to unreasonable levels, but can do a 4th order at 2.5khz and blast as loud as you want.

photocrazy8
05-09-2008, 12:59 AM
xt 25 or xt19 > all

tcguy85
05-09-2008, 09:02 AM
Off axis response seems to hold up a little better past 10k on those vs the silks. Other than that, can you say what difference you have heard while owning the Alum domes? Have you heard the silks too? I'm just curious as far as timbre what the difference is between them.

I know on DIYM you said that they were a bit overpowering but you lowered them by 3db and then bolstered the 8k and 12k range and it worked out well for you.

Looking at both response graphs it looks like the silks have a smoother response overall and seem to be a little more efficient.

i have never actually used these tweets or the silk ones. but the aluminum versions gets nothing but rave reviews. it seems people who have tried both end up preferring the aluminum.

the part with you reading about me cutting 3db and then boosting 8k and 12k and so on must have been about my RSD tweeters. not sure exactly where you read me saying that, but the rsd tweets are the only tweets i have used in the past couple years.

if i end up needing needing new tweeters anytime soon i will definitely be trying these out. they can play down to 2k with ease and are pretty inexpensive.

ItalynStylion
05-09-2008, 09:43 AM
the part with you reading about me cutting 3db and then boosting 8k and 12k and so on must have been about my RSD tweeters. not sure exactly where you read me saying that, but the rsd tweets are the only tweets i have used in the past couple years.

if i end up needing needing new tweeters anytime soon i will definitely be trying these out. they can play down to 2k with ease and are pretty inexpensive.

My bad dude, I think your post on DIYMA was talking about how you remedied the harshness of your RSD's. In the thread most were talking about the Seas Neo Alum's and silks and I thought you were referring to them. :banghead:

stuckinok
05-09-2008, 10:08 AM
I just sold Slammed a set of those Seas Alum tweets. I never had a chance to install them but he might be able to key in if he has used them yet.

tcguy85
05-09-2008, 07:46 PM
I just sold Slammed a set of those Seas Alum tweets. I never had a chance to install them but he might be able to key in if he has used them yet.

just search them on diymobileaudio.com. there are tons and tons and tons and tons of reviews of those tweeters over there. i don't remember reading a single bad comment on them at all. if i was in the hunt for tweeters right now i'd be grabbing a set in a heartbeat. from the reviews they seem like a steal at $31 a piece.

FoxPro5
05-09-2008, 08:54 PM
If anything, you might find the Neo Alum to be too "bright," particularly if you go A pillar or sail without a dash mat. I'm a dashmat believer, regardless of empirical testing...maybe it's psycho, I don't know. If you like more of "robust" sound, you might want to look elsewhere.

IME, Seas Sonotex fabric is nice and "airy" and can crank pretty good and maintain it's composure. Not sure if Seas uses it in the fabric on the Prestige series or not.

Must read for anyone looking at DIY car audio tweeters: www.zaphaudio.com/tweetermishmash

Fast1one
05-09-2008, 11:05 PM
If anything, you might find the Neo Alum to be too "bright," particularly if you go A pillar or sail without a dash mat. I'm a dashmat believer, regardless of empirical testing...maybe it's psycho, I don't know. If you like more of "robust" sound, you might want to look elsewhere.

IME, Seas Sonotex fabric is nice and "airy" and can crank pretty good and maintain it's composure. Not sure if Seas uses it in the fabric on the Prestige series or not.

Must read for anyone looking at DIY car audio tweeters: www.zaphaudio.com/tweetermishmashI tried a towel on the dash and it definitely made a difference to my ears... It could be something that is unmeasurable in a traditional RTA sense...