PDA

View Full Version : USB Head Unit Question

powder21
05-07-2008, 02:20 AM
OK...new question. I haven't shopped for a new deck since the days of cd-changers, so please forgive me for asking what may seem like stupid questions.

Something that I'm just starting to realize is that alot of these new decks that come with a USB port, while saying they're compatible with iPods, they also say "any USB memory device". If I were to get one of these decks, does that mean I can simply plug in a thumb drive with my music on it and the deck will play it?

The whole reason I was going to get an mp3 player was for my car and only my car since my portable music is on my cell phone. If I can just plug in my database on a thumb drive and use the deck as the actual mp3 player it will eliminate a good deal of cost.

Please let me know. Thanks.

tez4life
05-07-2008, 02:25 AM
You pretty much hit the nail on the head. All the usb heads can handle a thumb or jump drive loaded with mp3s. I have a Pioneer 6000UB and it handles my Kingston 1g thumb drive with ease.

powder21
05-07-2008, 02:35 AM
Awesome! Thanks man...this is gonna save me some cash!

:veryhapp:

tez4life
05-07-2008, 02:43 AM
Cool, the way gas is now a days, thats a plus for anyone, have fun. :)

Kai Winters
05-07-2008, 11:03 AM
tez4life is correct and it makes song searching so much easier.
Couple things to keep in mind. Older usb drives came with a program called "uE" installed. It is for computers and if installed on the usb drive makes it unreadable by auto hu's. There is a program available at uE.com to remove it...it is easy and takes seconds but can be a pain in the *** if you are not aware of it.
Also the newest usb drives...specifically the PNY Optima Pro...may not work in all hu's. My JVC KD-AR770...2006 model...could not run it but ran all my older usb drives...while my Alpine iDA-x001 runs it flawlessly. I am not sure why this is so. Possibly the new PNY is much higher speed than the old drives.

Today, at Staples, you can get a 4gb PNY drive for $20 and a 8gb PNY for $30. This is a great price for a lot of music storage.
Make sure the hu will run the usb/hdd drive you want before purchasing so no unhappy surprises. Most of todays hu's that offer usb/ipod connectivity also use "full speed" accessing which is much better than old units offerings.

Good luck and keep us informed.

MrMckie
05-07-2008, 12:43 PM
You pretty much hit the nail on the head. All the usb heads can handle a thumb or jump drive loaded with mp3s. I have a Pioneer 6000UB and it handles my Kingston 1g thumb drive with ease.

x2..i have a 4gb thumb pluged in at all times...if you have music on your phone you can get the 7000 and use the bluetoothto play the music ...:cool: