PDA

View Full Version : My tweaters are out?!?!

miker
05-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Yeah.. I have Phoenix gold RSD comps, and the tweeters just completely stopped working on BOTH sides.

Like they aren't blow, they just get absolutely no power.. unless thats what tweeters are like when they're blown? I don't know, all I know is that they don't make any noise at all.

My mids are working fine, if that makes a difference.

RidnClean
05-04-2008, 05:01 PM
have you checked your wires?

grimreper912003
05-04-2008, 05:01 PM
blown X-over? If you have a DMM see if the wire has any powerand try to metter the tweet.

tcguy85
05-04-2008, 07:42 PM
wow. another trashed set of rsd tweets, huh.

king ranch
05-04-2008, 07:46 PM
wow not sure i wanna buy some after hearing people starting to have problems with these

why are the tweeters messing up

tcguy85
05-04-2008, 07:47 PM
wow not sure i wanna buy some after hearing people starting to have problems with these

why are the tweeters messing up

operator error. ;)

miker
05-04-2008, 08:45 PM
operator error. ;)

I am running <100w... ehh..

I don't know :) haha..

Since they are making no noise... shoudl I see if I'm getting a voltage out of the cross over?

Innovative:Cory
05-04-2008, 08:50 PM
I would measure impedeance of the tweeters to see if there is still a value there..i.e. 4ohm...if no impedeance scrap them.. if there is impedeance next check the crossovers themselves...its not uncommon for a crossover to have a for lack of better words..light bulb.. installed in the crossover to dissipate heat from the tweet...if that has blown you would get no signal to the tweet...but im not familiar with the design of the crossovers of this particular brand, set.

let us know please

tcguy85
05-04-2008, 08:56 PM
I am running <100w... ehh..

I don't know :) haha..

Since they are making no noise... shoudl I see if I'm getting a voltage out of the cross over?

how much power are you running?

miker
05-04-2008, 09:41 PM
how much power are you running?

Haha, umm not sure? I'm using a "DUAL" amp :laugh:

supposedly 100x2 @4ohm, and the gain is at about 3/4..

tcguy85
05-04-2008, 09:43 PM
Haha, umm not sure? I'm using a "DUAL" amp :laugh:

supposedly 100x2 @4ohm, and the gain is at about 3/4..

ok so you clipped the signal. thats why they blew (if they blew, which is probably the case).

so sorry.... but operator error.

king ranch
05-04-2008, 10:06 PM
yep if you didnt set gains with dmm thats why they blew

tcguy85
05-04-2008, 10:08 PM
yep if you didnt set gains with dmm thats why they blew

nah. the dmm method is flawed.

i didn't set any of my 3 gain knobs with a DMM and my **** aint gonna blow. i just simply figured out what number on my hu i wanted what volume and then level matched from there.

king ranch
05-04-2008, 10:09 PM
plz explain i am intersted in what you are saying

tcguy85
05-04-2008, 10:10 PM
plz explain i am intersted in what you are saying

it's just not an effective way of setting the gain. that simple.

for noobs its a good way to play it safe but thats it.

king ranch
05-04-2008, 10:12 PM
well how would you set it and make sure you arent sending a clipped signal

i can set my subs by ear and tell when they are getting too much power by just the change in the sound of the subs

miker
05-04-2008, 10:13 PM
you guys.. setting the gains with a DMM is complete bullshit.. Just so you know..

I mean.. With my Power Acoustik amp.. with my gain 100&#37; up, I get a signal of exactly what the amps RMS rated power is.. So IF DMM settings are correct, then My Power Acoustik amp does rated power??? I don't believe it does rated power..

How do you know if you are clipping the signal? I got no audible distortion.. So I don't know??

I'm not denying the fact that it could be opporator error, but.. It doesn't really make sense to me..

EDIT: Alright, That was for KingRanch mainly, not "you guys"

tcguy85
05-04-2008, 10:14 PM
well how would you set it and make sure you arent sending a clipped signal

i can set my subs by ear and tell when they are getting too much power by just the change in the sound of the subs

read here please... http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30208&highlight=setting+gains+dmm

tcguy85
05-04-2008, 10:17 PM
you guys.. setting the gains with a DMM is complete bullshit.. Just so you know..

I mean.. With my Power Acoustik amp.. with my gain 100% up, I get a signal of exactly what the amps RMS rated power is.. So IF DMM settings are correct, then My Power Acoustik amp does rated power??? I don't believe it does rated power..

How do you know if you are clipping the signal? I got no audible distortion.. So I don't know??

I'm not denying the fact that it could be opporator error, but.. It doesn't really make sense to me..

i wasn't trying to be a douche with the operator error comment, so sorry if you took that as me being a ****. :)

but i have way more power on tap than you and have the tweets crossed pretty **** low and mine are fine. they show now signs off stress. so the only thing i can come up with is that you clipped the signal and the tweeters didn't like it.

high volume requires high power.

miker
05-04-2008, 10:20 PM
i wasn't trying to be a douche with the operator error comment, so sorry if you took that as me being a ****. :)

but i have way more power on tap than you and have the tweets crossed pretty **** low and mine are fine. they show now signs off stress. so the only thing i can come up with is that you clipped the signal and the tweeters didn't like it.

high volume requires high power.

Haha.. well kinda.. kinda not :) haha. I was just saying my side haha I just wanted to try and make myself look a little better.

So yeah.. I guess playing it to loud.. ****.. this *****.. I don't really have any money..

king ranch
05-04-2008, 10:21 PM
so the best way is to use a o-scope right since it shows the clipping and you can set the amp at the most it can do before clipping

hairbandlover
05-04-2008, 10:22 PM
WHAT WHAT...... say it isnt so!! Another set of RSD's with trouble. I rest my case they are a BUDGET speaker. Check the crossovers and make sure they didnt melt they are known to do that. I will personally be glad to see the RSD HARD ON die out on here!

HU- Alpine CDA-9831
Sub-RE Audio-SR12
Amps- Alpine MRV-F450 & MRD-M301
Speakers- CDT CL-62, 2 way comp. & CL-6 Midrange
Vehicle- 2004 Toyota Rav 4

miker
05-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Oh.. so thanks guys. haha, I might test the impedance on the tweets, and see if I get power through the crossover and stuff.. Just to see what exactly it is..

tcguy85
05-04-2008, 10:26 PM
WHAT WHAT...... say it isnt so!! Another set of RSD's with trouble. I rest my case they are a BUDGET speaker. Check the crossovers and make sure they didnt melt they are known to do that. I will personally be glad to see the RSD HARD ON die out on here!

HU- Alpine CDA-9831
Sub-RE Audio-SR12
Amps- Alpine MRV-F450 & MRD-M301
Speakers- CDT CL-62, 2 way comp. & CL-6 Midrange
Vehicle- 2004 Toyota Rav 4

yea, they are a "budget priced" set.... whats your point?

tcguy85
05-04-2008, 10:28 PM
so the best way is to use a o-scope right since it shows the clipping and you can set the amp at the most it can do before clipping

yes, an o-scope is a good tool to use, but still not needed at all. if you have plenty of power there is no need to worry about clipping.

king ranch
05-04-2008, 10:39 PM
ok so should i worry about clipping on a zx850.4 using front 2 channels for polk momo comp set rated at 120rms and amp is rated at 175rms per channel

hairbandlover
05-04-2008, 10:40 PM
My point was alot of people on here put them on a pedestal rating them above BETTER speakers. For example CDT, I have heard and seen both and CDT is a far superior speaker. They are made so much more solid and handle more and soud better. The RSD is not a bad speaker its just "NOT ALL THAT" as described on here. I have been unable to go back and find a post that a CDT failed other than my low end TW-19 3/4" tweets after 5 yrs of pounding them. For $50 to $75 more they are well worth it. Reffering to the CL series that now come with the TW-25 1" tweet.

tcguy85
05-04-2008, 10:49 PM
My point was alot of people on here put them on a pedestal rating them above BETTER speakers. For example CDT, I have heard and seen both and CDT is a far superior speaker. They are made so much more solid and handle more and soud better. The RSD is not a bad speaker its just "NOT ALL THAT" as described on here. I have been unable to go back and find a post that a CDT failed other than my low end TW-19 3/4" tweets after 5 yrs of pounding them. For $50 to $75 more they are well worth it. Reffering to the CL series that now come with the TW-25 1" tweet.

nothing is "best". the rsd's are good... very good for the money. they can sound very good and will take quite a bit of CLEAN power.

the reason we are seeing so many people blowing these is because they are not properly powering them for the level of output they are trying to achieve.

and the reason we see more people talk about blown rsd's compared to blown cdts is because the rsd's seem to be more popular on here so obviously you'll hear about them more because there are more using them.

the rsd's also seem to be getting bought by beginners simply because of the low price. the cdts, being more expensive, are going to be usually bought by more experienced users.

tcguy85
05-04-2008, 10:50 PM
ok so should i worry about clipping on a zx850.4 using front 2 channels for polk momo comp set rated at 120rms and amp is rated at 175rms per channel

all depends on the volume you listen at but 175 watts should get them pretty loud. i had them passive off 200 a side and they were fine.

king ranch
05-04-2008, 11:16 PM

how are the cdt 62's with the tw-25 tweet looking into getting a pair the ones that handle 150rms

how is their midbass and the tweets on them i heard the midbass lacks

tv559
05-04-2008, 11:30 PM
I'm lucky my eq lets me know when I get a clipping signal so I dont fock my **** up.

tcguy85
05-04-2008, 11:35 PM
I'm lucky my eq lets me know when I get a clipping signal so I dont fock my **** up.

yup, i hear ya. my amps both have clip indicators. makes it fool proof.

PaulD
05-05-2008, 02:06 PM
RC used to teach a method of setting gains using a handheld amp/speaker combo from radio shack (< $15) and a cd with a full sine wave signal "all 1's". Then he said to give it a healthy twist (like an extra 1/4 turn).

01 S 10
05-05-2008, 09:05 PM
I think I had the first "blown RSD tweeter" thread.. but I overcame it, I am still looking for a good replacement for them. I have them still passive off my 100.4, only on 2 channels. My crossovers did "melt" some, this is the first i have heard of this other than seeing mine.

For under $100, it is still very tough to beat this set of components. I only wish I had this SAX 100.4 this whole time, then I would not of SENT A CLIPPED SIGNAL. So far, the only issue I see with this set of comps (as far as performance, not melting stuff...) is blowing the tweeter from a clipped signal. This can happen to anyone!

Most people that have $200 plus components have better amps... think about it. They are not using these Boss amps that are killing their tweeters.

I will still run my set all day, I know I got my moneys worth for $87.. IMO

miker
05-09-2008, 06:02 PM
I know it's been a couple days, but I finally got around to testing them..

Well the tweeter channel on my Xover gives me no reading on the DMM

While the woofer channel does.

SO, blown tweeters? or crossover.

PaulD
05-09-2008, 06:29 PM
did you set the DMM to AC volts ?

If there is no output from the xover, then the xover is blown. Try swapping the tweeters to opposite sides

miker
05-09-2008, 06:32 PM
BOTH sides are out.. So, I'm not sure what that would do...

The thing is the DMM was not getting any reading on any voltage settings, so I set it to measure impedance, and I got a reading.

Got the reading only on the woofer channel, not the tweeter channel.

tcguy85
05-09-2008, 07:53 PM
sounds like blown or burnt up crossovers, which also happens from clipping. at least the crossovers protected the tweeters.

did you disconnect a tweeter and try to get a reading on a tweeter by itself? should read just under 4ohms.

miker
05-09-2008, 10:19 PM
sounds like blown or burnt up crossovers, which also happens from clipping. at least the crossovers protected the tweeters.

did you disconnect a tweeter and try to get a reading on a tweeter by itself? should read just under 4ohms.

Hmm maybe I should try that..

So.. New crossovers.. Can I buy them alone? anywhere.. Doesn't have to be PG ones, just any decent one will do.

tcguy85
05-09-2008, 10:45 PM
Hmm maybe I should try that..

So.. New crossovers.. Can I buy them alone? anywhere.. Doesn't have to be PG ones, just any decent one will do.

check the tweeters themselves with a dmm and see what resistance they read before doing anything. if they are fine and you just need crossovers i have a set of the rsd crossovers not being used.

bigbangtheory
05-10-2008, 11:05 AM
Man this *****! Good thing I only have 50rms at 4ohms x4 and 75rms x4 at 2ohms at hand.

I usually only turn my amp up half way, if that.

miker
05-10-2008, 04:12 PM
check the tweeters themselves with a dmm and see what resistance they read before doing anything. if they are fine and you just need crossovers i have a set of the rsd crossovers not being used.

That would be great if I could buy those off of you :D

Well once I make sure of what my problem is.. But it's raining out now, and the garage is full

tcguy85
05-11-2008, 12:43 AM
Man this *****! Good thing I only have 50rms at 4ohms x4 and 75rms x4 at 2ohms at hand.

I usually only turn my amp up half way, if that.

what are you talking about?

bigbangtheory
05-11-2008, 08:08 AM
what are you talking about?

That I won't have a **** ton of power going to them.

Nor do I turn up my amps to high to send a clipped signal.

I was actually thinking of getting another amp to get more watts to my Rsd's, but after reading these bad reviews, I am thinking of keeping my amp I have now and just see how I like it. If anything, I can run the rears of HU power and then bridge my amp to send out 150rms to each side.

Isn't that what you are running with no problems? I do believe you are running active though, which you have more control with your settings through the deck, correct? You also have a 880 like I do. I still get lost just running passive, lol!

tcguy85
05-11-2008, 11:14 AM
That I won't have a **** ton of power going to them.

Nor do I turn up my amps to high to send a clipped signal.

I was actually thinking of getting another amp to get more watts to my Rsd's, but after reading these bad reviews, I am thinking of keeping my amp I have now and just see how I like it. If anything, I can run the rears of HU power and then bridge my amp to send out 150rms to each side.

Isn't that what you are running with no problems? I do believe you are running active though, which you have more control with your settings through the deck, correct? You also have a 880 like I do. I still get lost just running passive, lol!

if anything this thread has talked about him not having enough power. you are less likely to drive the amp into clipping if it is a bigger amp. i am running active with 200 watts rms per mid and 100 watts rms per tweeter. so it's not a matter of to much power. it's a matter of to little clean power. this set sounds ridiculous off a ton of power, believe me. and i have never heard any signs of them being over driven.

bigbangtheory
05-11-2008, 01:15 PM
if anything this thread has talked about him not having enough power. you are less likely to drive the amp into clipping if it is a bigger amp. i am running active with 200 watts rms per mid and 100 watts rms per tweeter. so it's not a matter of to much power. it's a matter of to little clean power. this set sounds ridiculous off a ton of power, believe me. and i have never heard any signs of them being over driven.

I hear you, but he mentioned he had his gain 3/4 the way up, which in most cases is a little extreme. That is why I mentioned where I usually set mine.

So you think I should bridge my Clarion amp to put out more RMS and use the HU to power the rear speakers?

tcguy85
05-11-2008, 08:19 PM
I hear you, but he mentioned he had his gain 3/4 the way up, which in most cases is a little extreme. That is why I mentioned where I usually set mine.

So you think I should bridge my Clarion amp to put out more RMS and use the HU to power the rear speakers?

the gain isn't a volume knob. 3/4 of the way up might be right depending on the hu and amp itself. the gain knob is to level match things. if you know what you are doing then go for it. but be careful and watch or listen rather for signs of stress.

jaredcroop
05-11-2008, 08:31 PM
you can buy mine... =P pm if u want

req
05-11-2008, 08:33 PM
My tweaters are out?!?!

well put them back in... :wow:

bigbangtheory
05-11-2008, 09:35 PM
the gain isn't a volume knob. 3/4 of the way up might be right depending on the hu and amp itself. the gain knob is to level match things. if you know what you are doing then go for it. but be careful and watch or listen rather for signs of stress.

When did I ever say it was a volume knob? I adjust my stuff to ear to be honest. I can tell whether I am giving it too much juice or not. I just generally go half way up with most of my installs.

Not to mention, you kinda made a gesture to the OP when he mentioned he went 3/4 the way up as well.

tcguy85
05-11-2008, 09:46 PM
Not to mention, you kinda made a gesture to the OP when he mentioned he went 3/4 the way up as well.

when and where did i say anything about his gain setting?

the gain setting alone means nothing. anybody can crank their gain to the max and still not blow a speaker. you just won't be able to turn the volume knob up very high, thats all. my point is you won't ever see me comment on somebodies gain setting.

bigbangtheory
05-11-2008, 09:48 PM
when and where did i say anything about his gain setting?

the gain setting alone means nothing. anybody can crank their gain to the max and still not blow a speaker. you just won't be able to turn the volume knob up very high, thats all. my point is you won't ever see me comment on somebodies gain setting.

I thought you did, my bad.

tcguy85
05-11-2008, 09:55 PM
I thought you did, my bad.

nah, i just simply said "operator error" lol.

its all good though.

as you seem to know, sometimes depending on the amp and HU, 3/4 or higher on the gain might be needed. mine are at half as well, thats just where they need to be so i can use most of the volume control on my 880. i pretty much said on most music i want 48-52 to be the highest i turn the knob on the HU. so i messed with the gains till i got the output i wanted at that spot on the volume knob. then from there i level matched the mids, tweets and sub.

bigbangtheory
05-11-2008, 09:58 PM
nah, i just simply said "operator error" lol.

its all good though.

as you seem to know, sometimes depending on the amp and HU, 3/4 or higher on the gain might be needed. mine are at half as well, thats just where they need to be so i can use most of the volume control on my 880. i pretty much said on most music i want 48-52 to be the highest i turn the knob on the HU. so i messed with the gains till i got the output i wanted at that spot on the volume knob. then from there i level matched the mids, tweets and sub.

Yeah I did mine at 45 and seems like a good spot for me and then adjusted the amps to that.

I was under the impression, when he said he had a dual amp and was doing 100x2 at 4ohms and his amp was at 3/4 and you said operator error right after that gave me the impression, he shouldn't have went that high. But I understand what you are saying. I just read into it too much.

miker
05-11-2008, 10:01 PM
Yeah.. The gain has to be turned up with my HU.. It's a Sony with "2v" preamps' out.. So, pretty much low voltage..

tcguy85
05-11-2008, 10:07 PM
Yeah.. The gain has to be turned up with my HU.. It's a Sony with "2v" preamps' out.. So, pretty much low voltage..

did you ever test the tweeters?

miker
05-11-2008, 11:33 PM
did you ever test the tweeters?

Tomorrow I'm doing that.

Raining Saturday, and mothers day/ work today...:crap:

tcguy85
05-12-2008, 12:02 AM
Tomorrow I'm doing that.

Raining Saturday, and mothers day/ work today...:crap:

ok, let us know whats up.

miker
05-12-2008, 05:59 PM
UGH..

No reading from the tweets.. I tested the mids just to be sure the DMM wasn't ****ed up (this wasn't my good one) and I got a reading on them..

So.. Tweets = ****ed? and crossover channel?? Or just the tweeters?