PDA

View Full Version : Odd Box Questio

audiom3
05-02-2008, 02:42 PM
I need to make my box bigger but I have a bar that goes across the front of the trunk causing me to lose 5 or 6 inches of height so my question is can I build a box that looks like an uppercase L so the height of the rear of the box would be higher than the front. The sub would be mounted to the front. Also how will this affect tuning frequency?

psych0ticnemes1
05-02-2008, 02:51 PM
The first thing I would suggest is to build a new box altogether. Changing an enclosure is much more difficult than starting fresh. Secondly, tuning depends on volume, not necessarily the shape of the box. If you add volume without changing the port length, tuning will drop depending on how much volume you add. If you want to gain some volume by building your box around the bar, the only thing you have to be sure to do is to account for the extra volume when determining port length.

audiom3
05-02-2008, 03:20 PM
It is a new box sorry for the confusion I was just adding the area to my original box plans and do you know the relation to volume vs tuning frequency. ex the frequency will drop x hz per cubic foot. A good estimate would be fine if you ahve any idea of the answer to that.

psych0ticnemes1
05-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Use this calculator and play around with the numbers. It will give you a good idea of what the tuning will be after you play with the volume.

http://www.carstereo.com/help2/Articles.cfm?id=31