PDA

View Full Version : Component Direction

mil81
05-02-2008, 01:28 PM
I run a 2006 Dodge 3500. Currently I just replaced the stock 6x9's with Bostons. I want to get a set of 6.5" Components, but am unsure exactly what to do with them. I know I want to keep the stock door location, so everything looks stock. I would like to change the direction of the speakers so it sounds better, but am unsure how I should situate the 6.5's.

So I try to get them to point at my head? That will be a very sharp angle for the speaker in my driver's door. Could I point them at the center of the truck and use the Alpine time delay to make it sound a little better?

Also, is it a good idea to mount the woofer in a sealed pod, or do they run better with a lot of air space?

Thanks for your input guys. Can't wait to hear from you.

Murray

tez4life
05-02-2008, 01:40 PM
I know you mention about putting them in your doors, but have you consider kick panels?

It would allow the speaker to be on axis and have a much better left/right seperation. It maybe the ticket your looking for.

mil81
05-02-2008, 02:08 PM
I have heard since there is so much air space in these trucks, and the kick pannels would be under the dash, that they always sound like garbage. Otherwise I would concider it.

Does that mean that they should be pointed at my head?

tez4life
05-02-2008, 05:29 PM
I dont think so, I think you can mount the speakers in you stock location and still get a good sound. Its going to be important where you mount the tweeters, because of the effect they give the overall sound.

mil81
05-04-2008, 07:34 PM
Ok. So what you're saying is I can mount a 6.5" woofer in the stock location, facing straight across, a little below knee level, and as long as I have a good tweeter location, the sound will still sound nice and directed.

Should the tweets be close to face level then? Should they be angled towards the middle of the truck?

Thanks, that helps alot.
Murray

tez4life
05-04-2008, 07:43 PM
Ok. So what you're saying is I can mount a 6.5" woofer in the stock location, facing straight across, a little below knee level, and as long as I have a good tweeter location, the sound will still sound nice and directed.

Should the tweets be close to face level then? Should they be angled towards the middle of the truck?

Thanks, that helps alot.
Murray

Sure man, no problem

Pretty much, the tweeter location should be expermental. Take some double sided tape and positon the tweeters in various locations inside the cabin. Some comp sets sound better with the tweeter near the midrange, other with some distance between them.

Its also going to depend on your listening preference. Some people like tweeters up high near the dashboard/winshield, others pefer down low next to the midrange/midbass driver, other on axis,etc....

Just play around with it until you find the sound your looking for.

bterz
05-04-2008, 08:37 PM
Good answering tez4life I'm putting in my components/tweeters tomorrow and had the same questions as the OP :D

so, good questions too, op. :D

rockmo
05-04-2008, 08:53 PM
yes, good thread. i just started the pod for my driver side door, and i could not turn the speaker enough to point it at the head rest, so it is toward center of seats. my tweets will go up at the top of the door near the a pillar. pointed back at the head rest on each side. hope she sounds good.....

mil81
05-05-2008, 12:38 AM
That's awesome guys. I'm getting excited now. The front end already sounds descent, but when I get a nice set of components I won`t be able to tell the difference between that and Kenny Chesney himself. That`s right, I`m a country boy. What can you do.

I have another question for you guys. Do most mod range speakers sound better in sealed pods, or in open doors

Oh boys you got me pumped for the system now. I`m going to start glassing the box for the Boston`s this week!!!