PDA

View Full Version : Boston Acoustics Pro60 vs. Z6

mk_
05-01-2008, 07:31 PM
I'm possibly interested in these two respective sets of mid-woofers (not the component set).

I need a high power handling midwoofer for my car and these two stuck out to me. I did some quick research on the Pro60 mids and while they are rated @ 125wrms, I understand they can withstand that of 300wrms, which is closer to what I would be running them at.

The z6 mid's are rated 20-400wrms so I am confident they will take the power I am sending them. Looks as if the pro60's are priced better than the z6 but when it comes down to it, should I Just look into the more expensive z6's?

Hopefully some people have used both sets and can offer their opinions!
Thanks
Michael

thevic24
05-01-2008, 08:02 PM
do you have a way to demmo them? i installed a set of the 60's in a coustomer's cars a while back and imo they sounded good. its hard to recomend drivers though because everyones tastes are diffrent.

BukvaMan
05-01-2008, 10:18 PM
did you ever thing about the cdt es07+ series
i use those woofes and im sure they can take a lotta power and they do sound amazing belive it or not. Boston on the other hand i have subs from them The respected G5 so boston is defenitly a top choice for me too..

mk_
05-01-2008, 11:17 PM
Well, I have used CDT before, their lower lines, and i liked it for the most part for the money. I wanted to try Boston Acoustics out because I've never used their equipment and feel it can be considered 'higher end'. Not saying theres anything wrong with CDT, as I said I've used their stuff before and liked it. I shall continue to look around CDT's higher line also.

Any other opinions on the mids in the title?

Thanks
Michael

n0114692
05-02-2008, 04:22 AM
Hi mk,

I started a thread a while back about the SPZ's. I purchased two sets of these, front and rear. Was advised on here, other forums and audio shops that fronts would be more than enough. So i sold one set.

I was left with one set of SPZ's and a JL 300/4v2. They were installed into my vehicle a few weeks ago and oh my they are Amazing.

The amp was rated at 4 x 75rms. This was bridged to achieve 2x 150rms. JL like to under rate their products so the amp is more than likely pushing more than this. The SPZ's took ~150 without a problem.

A friend of my was looking for an amp similar to the the specs of the 300/4 so i sold her mine and purchased a 450/4v2 :D Bridged this to achieve 225rms (probably more) and again, the Bostons took this like a dream!

Clarity, power, performance is there. If you think that they are going to distort when put to the test you're wrong. They hold their ground!

Yes these are not cheap peices of equipment, but in my book they're worth every penny. Deffo thumbs up for the SPZ's.

n0114692
05-02-2008, 04:22 AM
Oh and by the way, if you do decide to go with the SPZ's. You're going to need a whole lot of deadening ;)

ngsm13
05-02-2008, 05:11 AM
I have access to some BNIB Boston Z6's, authorized, with full warranty if you are interested.

I've done a few installs with the Pro60's and the Z6's... both are great performers.

nG

n0114692
05-02-2008, 05:29 AM
Bnib ??

ngsm13
05-02-2008, 05:36 AM
bnib = brand new in box.

nG

bryantxii
05-02-2008, 06:46 PM
Hi mk,

A friend of my was looking for an amp similar to the the specs of the 300/4 so i sold her mine and purchased a 450/4v2 :D Bridged this to achieve 225rms (probably more) and again, the Bostons took this like a dream!

I just purchased a set of spz's. did the more power make that much of a difference? I have a zapco 350.2 currently and it pushes around 125 watts a channel but i was considering getting a larger amp for my spz's. is it worth the extra money?

n0114692
05-03-2008, 04:00 AM
I just purchased a set of spz's. did the more power make that much of a difference? I have a zapco 350.2 currently and it pushes around 125 watts a channel but i was considering getting a larger amp for my spz's. is it worth the extra money?

Hi,

I believe these speakers run at 3ohms. Your zapco, produces 2 x 100watts at 4ohms and 2 x 175watts at 2ohms. So your right, at 3ohms you should be seeing around 125/135watts.

Personally, i could see a big difference with the new amp. Think i underestimated these speakers when i first purchased them. I can honestly say that i wouldnt bother running these components at less than 200wrms each side.

You've bought a very decent bit of equipment. Supply them with good power and they will not let you down.

Spending the extra bit is definitely worth it in my book, im sure you'll agree if you decide to.

Hope this helps.

R05Nismo
05-03-2008, 03:30 PM
Hi,

I believe these speakers run at 3ohms. Your zapco, produces 2 x 100watts at 4ohms and 2 x 175watts at 2ohms. So your right, at 3ohms you should be seeing around 125/135watts.

Personally, i could see a big difference with the new amp. Think i underestimated these speakers when i first purchased them. I can honestly say that i wouldnt bother running these components at less than 200wrms each side.

You've bought a very decent bit of equipment. Supply them with good power and they will not let you down.

Spending the extra bit is definitely worth it in my book, im sure you'll agree if you decide to.

Hope this helps.

Very true. I had a Zapco 350.2 on my Boston Pro's and if they are like the SPZ's you need at least 200rms per side for them to really shine.

dftnz7
05-03-2008, 10:42 PM
FYI there are absolutely multitudes of raw drivers available out there that will perform great and won't carry the huge pricetag that name brand boxed drivers do. The Bostons are great, just saying if you are only buying a midwoofer, there are gobs of options, some of which are very good, for much less money. A good tour of www.DIYmobileaudio.com and a glimpse at www.madisound.com could do you some good.

n0114692
05-04-2008, 08:28 AM
Very true. I had a Zapco 350.2 on my Boston Pro's and if they are like the SPZ's you need at least 200rms per side for them to really shine.

Good point.

Don't get me wrong, you're zapco will provide them with OK power.. but like i said before, these definitely aren't your average speakers.

Give them what they need, you wont regret it.

mk_
05-08-2008, 02:37 PM
Read some things that the PRO60's have a greater output, but the Z6's are more accurate. Any truth to this, to the people who have used these sets?

jluv
05-08-2008, 06:28 PM
I send my Pro60 mids 225 watts (maybe a little more) and they love it. They get as loud as you could want, and sound amazing. BTW, I only send my tweets about 40 watts and they scream, too.

I've never used the Z6s, though.

n0114692
05-09-2008, 06:25 AM
I send my Pro60 mids 225 watts (maybe a little more) and they love it. They get as loud as you could want, and sound amazing. BTW, I only send my tweets about 40 watts and they scream, too.

I've never used the Z6s, though.

jluv, just out of interest what amp are you using to power your Pro's?

lostdaytomorrow
05-09-2008, 10:21 PM
Guys that have had good mid-bass out of the PRO60's. Were you using a high-pass on the mid or just letting the crossover do the work? If I don't highpass mine they seem to bottom out a little bit, I never ran them like that but when I heard it once I went and set the HPF on my amp to about 150 hz. and it's not a problem anymore, but they also took away some of the mid-bass.

00poop6x
05-09-2008, 10:33 PM
Don't be surprised when the older Pro60's have more midbass than the Z6's. Mind you, the Pro's were developed after the Z6's. In many cases, this is what I've seen and experienced. They then fixed that situation with the release of the current SPZ's. Before the release of the SPZ, I'd say the Pro60 were about 80% of what the set of Z6's could do in performance, with an edge going to the Pro60 midbass.

mk_
05-21-2008, 10:43 PM
I bought the z6's. They sound great, I'm sending the midwoofers 330+wrmsx2 @ 3ohm bridged. Got a slight coil smell on 'love is not enough' by nine inch nails which i turned down the volume asap. song is heavy guitar, rock music so its understandable. Anything else I've played in the last week has been flawless, no matter what volume. Extremely pleased so far, but have only run them for a week as mentioned. Will update how this much power to the 6.5s holds up.

Thanks for the opinions.
Michael

mk_
05-21-2008, 10:45 PM
BTW I have the tweeters and crossovers for this set if anyone was interested. I'll put them up in the classifieds sometime soon maybe, or PM me and maybe we can work something out.

n0114692
05-22-2008, 05:11 AM
I bought the z6's. They sound great, I'm sending the midwoofers 330+wrmsx2 @ 3ohm bridged. Got a slight coil smell on 'love is not enough' by nine inch nails which i turned down the volume asap. song is heavy guitar, rock music so its understandable. Anything else I've played in the last week has been flawless, no matter what volume. Extremely pleased so far, but have only run them for a week as mentioned. Will update how this much power to the 6.5s holds up.

Thanks for the opinions.
Michael

Hi mk,

Just out of interest what amp are you using to send 330 wrms the the mids?

You're obiviously running these active, why did you decide to do this? Don't the crossovers do alot of the work for you?

mk_
05-22-2008, 07:49 AM
Hey,

I'm using the JBL Px300.4; birthsheet says its rated 330rms @ 4 ohm bridged. These speakers are nominal 3 ohm so I took a gamble hoping the amp works down to 3 ohms bridged, it does without any trouble really.

Running active solely cause I wanted to get a better understanding of how it worked, and I'm using the Seas neo tweets cause I bought them and hadn't given them any use. One of my other 6.5's before these had blown up due to me not being smart with volume/track choice on the highway >:( I plan on being smarter with the knobs with the bostons since they are pretty expensive.

n0114692
05-22-2008, 10:03 AM
Hey,

I'm using the JBL Px300.4; birthsheet says its rated 330rms @ 4 ohm bridged. These speakers are nominal 3 ohm so I took a gamble hoping the amp works down to 3 ohms bridged, it does without any trouble really.

Running active solely cause I wanted to get a better understanding of how it worked, and I'm using the Seas neo tweets cause I bought them and hadn't given them any use. One of my other 6.5's before these had blown up due to me not being smart with volume/track choice on the highway >:( I plan on being smarter with the knobs with the bostons since they are pretty expensive.

In your ealier post you say you're running 300+wrms x 2. So you have two JBL Px300.4?

So you're not using the SPZs' tweets??

mk_
05-22-2008, 01:41 PM
Hey

The JBL is a 4 channel amp. when Bridged its a 2 channel making it the 300+ x 2 mentioned earlier.

Michael

mk_
07-25-2008, 11:04 PM
Just an update. Love the boston z6 mids. They are laughing at me with the 330wrms a side being thrown at them.

I would recommend these to anyone that can their hands on the component set (haven't tried the tweets yet, but I'm sure they perform at the same high level). I'll make an update somewhere down the road, especially if something happens to them. Until then, I am overly satisfied.

jonatbaylor
08-20-2009, 03:57 PM
I have access to some BNIB Boston Z6's, authorized, with full warranty if you are interested.

I've done a few installs with the Pro60's and the Z6's... both are great performers.

nG

Do you still have access to some Boston Z6's BNIB?

I do realize this post is quite old, but I thought it wouldn't hurt asking :)

HCCA
08-21-2009, 10:46 PM
Will these work for you? http://cgi.ebay.com/boston-acoustics-Z6-component-system_W0QQitemZ270443984912QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar _Speakers?hash=item3ef7b7b810&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

IgnoreMe
08-22-2009, 10:01 AM
pro60's were nice, but they didnt have a whole lot of midbass.

my morel tempo 6's get louder off less power and have more midbass. but they seemed to have destroyed themselves. but thats what happens when you run 300 watts a side. i run my **** to the max until it just pops then i buy more.

btw the bostons would max out with that 300 watts, and when i wanted them to go louder....they just got stinky.

edit: oh ****ing A man...whose the idiot who brought up the old post.

jonatbaylor
10-05-2009, 09:25 PM
Will these work for you? http://cgi.ebay.com/boston-acoustics-Z6-component-system_W0QQitemZ270443984912QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar _Speakers?hash=item3ef7b7b810&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Thanks for the link. I actually bought these very ones, funny you posted that.

I was almost very disappointed as the money I was going to use had to go to unexpected bills...but I was fortunate to get them.

Finally have them installed and they sound great. Now, I have to figure out what the heck to to with my 6x9's as they can't keep up. I need some that are just as high quality as these Z6's.