PDA

View Full Version : Car audio novice in need of system advice.

JoshKorn12
04-30-2008, 02:44 PM
Hey guys, I just joined recently. It seems like you guys have a really knowledgeable group of people on these forums.

I currently have a 2007 Tacoma w/ Access Cab. I have a JVC KD-LH3100 (http://cws7.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?i=257KDLH310&tp=5684&tab=features_and_specs) currently installed. That is the only modification I have done to the vehicle.
I was all set on picking up a set of Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 components until I read what you guys have posted about them.

The speakers have to be component, none of this 6x9 crap in the front. I live in a smaller town in upstate NY with literally 0 dealers for any of the higher end stuff near by. I have to make decisions purely on what you guys post about. Should I even bother upgrading the speakers in the back of the truck? If so, what should I put in there?

The Kappa's were going to cost roughly $150 per pair. I'm not sure if by pair they meant woofer/tweeter or if they meant 2 sets of each. I'm really new to the car audio scene, so bare with me. ;)

I'm really flexible on price. I'd like the keep the costs under $500 if possible. I'm going to assume I'd need an amp for any component system I get. If that is the case, do I just need a two channel amp? If you guys think I should replace the rear speakers as well, should they be on the amp? If so, then i would assume I'd need a 4 channel amp. This system will have no subwoofer, so keep that in mind.

From the many many threads I have read so far, brands seem to include Phoenix Gold, Cadence, and probably a couple of others I can't remember.

A lot of the recommendations I have been reading about seem to be incredibly inexpensive. Both the Phoenix Gold and the Cadence sets I have seen recommended have both been under a $100. To me that seems extremely reasonable. I'm all about quality of product and I am willing to spend a little extra if it means a fairly good jump in quality.

Thanks for the input, guys!

-Josh

tee
04-30-2008, 03:22 PM
When you said under $500, does that include amp, wiring, and possibly installation? Since you're absolutely not getting a sub, you should get some speakers with alot of midbass. Everyone who runs the Phoenix Gold RSd's here say it has plenty of that. I have never personally had them. Keep in mind with the RSd's, you will need an amp that will be at least 100W x 2, if not 150W x 2. No need to amp the rear, since you have a truck.

Speakers: http://cgi.ebay.com/PHOENIX-GOLD-RSd-65cs-6-1-2-COMPONENT-SPEAKERS-RSd65cs_W0QQitemZ360046659904QQihZ023QQcategoryZ32 819QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Amp: There are plenty out there, so choose on that is around 150W x 2 if you're planning to go with the RSd's.

Wiring: http://www.knukonceptz.com/

Please only use this post as a guideline. I don't want you to get something that won't satisfy you. I am one of the dumb ones and there will be plenty others who should be able to help you out.

craigzter
04-30-2008, 03:25 PM
didnt see, no sub..my bad

skadude016
04-30-2008, 03:27 PM
well there are 2 ways to go about this. you could do DIY components. or a box of components. Both are great choices. But with the DIY components you can really tweak everything to your liking. If you are just starting out I would go with a box set of components. How much power are you wanting to run and what kind of sound are you searching for?

JoshKorn12
04-30-2008, 03:54 PM
When you said under $500, does that include amp, wiring, and possibly installation? Since you're absolutely not getting a sub, you should get some speakers with alot of midbass. Everyone who runs the Phoenix Gold RSd's here say it has plenty of that. I have never personally had them. Keep in mind with the RSd's, you will need an amp that will be at least 100W x 2, if not 150W x 2. No need to amp the rear, since you have a truck.

Speakers: http://cgi.ebay.com/PHOENIX-GOLD-RSd-65cs-6-1-2-COMPONENT-SPEAKERS-RSd65cs_W0QQitemZ360046659904QQihZ023QQcategoryZ32 819QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Amp: There are plenty out there, so choose on that is around 150W x 2 if you're planning to go with the RSd's.

Wiring: http://www.knukonceptz.com/

Please only use this post as a guideline. I don't want you to get something that won't satisfy you. I am one of the dumb ones and there will be plenty others who should be able to help you out.

$500 is a total price for just equipment(not including install). I work at Best Buy and have come to know the installer that works there fairly well. He knows his stuff. I'm going to have him install everything for me. I'm going to get the mounting kit for the Tacoma from Tacotunes.com.

That being said, I can get the wiring/harnesses for pennies on the dollar with my employee discount.

well there are 2 ways to go about this. you could do DIY components. or a box of components. Both are great choices. But with the DIY components you can really tweak everything to your liking. If you are just starting out I would go with a box set of components. How much power are you wanting to run and what kind of sound are you searching for?

By DIY I am assuming you mean buying the tweeter/woofer/xover separately. If so, when I looked at that it seemed to be fairly expensive. I listen to a large variety of music. Anything from Billy Joel to Linkin Park/Disturbed to Akon. I like to have a decent amount of bass for not having a sub. I love sound clarity. Having the best possible sound is will make up about 50% of my decision. The other 50% being price for that sound.

Thanks for the help so far.

-Josh

tee
04-30-2008, 04:01 PM
By DIY I am assuming you mean buying the tweeter/woofer/xover separately. If so, when I looked at that it seemed to be fairly expensive. I listen to a large variety of music. Anything from Billy Joel to Linkin Park/Disturbed to Akon. I like to have a decent amount of bass for not having a sub. I love sound clarity. Having the best possible sound is will make up about 50% of my decision. The other 50% being price for that sound.
By DIY, he means getting the mids and tweets separate and going active, which wouldn't include crossovers. People don't normally mix-match crossovers with other speakers that were not meant to be with.

Since install and wiring is free, that should open up more options now.

JoshKorn12
05-01-2008, 11:59 AM
So after reading many many more threads I felt that the PG RSD's were probably the way to go for a starter set. I ordered them from ebay earlier this morning.

I notice that they are only rated for 60watts rms. That being said, it seems like everyone uses a 120+ watt per channel amp. The question is, should I get a 120 watt per channel or spend the extra and get a 150 watt? I'm probably not going to do active crossover in this set up given my lack of experience with the subject.

Now, seeing how I won't even bother amping the rears, are they even worth replacing?

tee
05-01-2008, 12:06 PM
What amps are you planning to get? And no, you don't really need to replace your rear, but could if you wanted to.

xxBURT0Nxx
05-01-2008, 12:40 PM
After learning from my mistakes If you want more power buy a bridgable 4 ch amp even though you are only using it for 2 speakers. The kicker zx350.4 can be had for around $125 + shipping maybe less and will do 175 wrms to each side. If you want something smaller you could buy a 2 channel amp. I have a kicker zx350.2 for sale and I could get that to you for 125 shipped. It will do like 110 or 120 to each side at 4 ohms.

JoshKorn12
05-01-2008, 01:43 PM
So I can get

Pioneer GM-3300T (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8760682&type=product&id=1202650466597) for $64.

or

Pioneer GM-5300T (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8356414&st=GM-5300T&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1177112668775) for $82.

or

Infinity REF475A (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8288337&productCategoryId=abcat0302004&type=product&tab=2&id=1173577734466#productdetail) for $105.

Are any of those worthy?
All of those prices are new in box with MFG warranty intact.

xxBURT0Nxx
05-01-2008, 01:47 PM
Yeah but those prices are wrong, unless you aren't buying them from BB. I think you should just buy my kicker;)

JoshKorn12
05-01-2008, 01:52 PM
Yeah but those prices are wrong, unless you aren't buying them from BB. I think you should just buy my kicker;)

Employee discount is the best part of working at Best Buy :)

Those prices are set up through our accommodations program where we can order things directly from the MFG for a reduced price. Those are the prices when I order it directly from Pioneer or Infinity.

xxBURT0Nxx
05-01-2008, 02:21 PM
Got Ya!

DejaWiz
05-01-2008, 02:34 PM
Out of those, the Infinity amp. Harmon Kardon FTW. You'll be starting off with a fairly decent 4 channel, so if you ever decide to do an active front sound stage, you're covered.

JoshKorn12
05-01-2008, 02:40 PM
If you guys know of anything that Best Buy carries that would be better, let me know. I can pretty much get anything on their website. Even if it isn't something they carry, if the price is right I'll go for it.

I just don't really know what I am looking for. Like the infinity, it says it'll put out 170w when bridged, will that be too much for those speakers?

xxBURT0Nxx
05-01-2008, 02:45 PM
Nope. If you talk to TCguy he is running the rsds active with 200 to each mid and 100 to each tweeter. I say go for the infinity man!

DejaWiz
05-01-2008, 02:52 PM
If you guys know of anything that Best Buy carries that would be better, let me know. I can pretty much get anything on their website. Even if it isn't something they carry, if the price is right I'll go for it.

I just don't really know what I am looking for. Like the infinity, it says it'll put out 170w when bridged, will that be too much for those speakers?

Probably not, especially since you can keep the gains low and have the amp provide them less power than it's capable of producing. You can even calculate how much power is being sent by measuring the output voltage with a DMM and use the following formula:

IF:
Voltage = SQRT (Watts * Ohms)

THEN:
Watts = Voltage^2 / Ohms

Say you want to sent the RSd's 125w rms.
Using the first formula, 125 times 4 (ohms) is 500. The square root of 500 is about 22.36.
Using a DMM, you can set the gains on the amp until the output reads approx 22.3 volts.

Additionally, you can find just how many watts your amp is providing by using the second formula. You measure 19.6 volts. Squared, that becomes 384.16. Divide that by the speakers ohms of 4, and you get 96 watts.

maloy013
05-02-2008, 01:50 AM
doesnt bb carry alpines/rockfords too? those would be good starter amps too...:cool:

tcguy85
05-02-2008, 02:06 AM
Nope. If you talk to TCguy he is running the rsds active with 200 to each mid and 100 to each tweeter. I say go for the infinity man!

get as much power as you can afford. it's all about headroom.

like stated, i do have 200 per mid and 100 per tweeter. i am using the full power on peaks, but not constantly. music is very dynamic so if you want to keep things sounding clear at high volumes then headroom is the name of the game.

i can guarantee i would have caused more damage to my speakers if i used a 60watt x2 amp on them.

tee
05-02-2008, 11:16 AM
doesnt bb carry alpines/rockfords too? those would be good starter amps too...:cool:
Yes they do, but they are expensive. You're better off elsewhere, like maybe here. ;)

xxBURT0Nxx
05-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Yeah but employee discount at BB is cost +5% so he would get them for verrry cheap.

mil81
05-02-2008, 03:06 PM
I agree with these guys. Go with an Alpine 4-Channel. In my opinion Alpine is one of the better main stream audio makers.

DjiNN
05-02-2008, 03:43 PM
I would say .. go with the PDX 4channel amp from alpine through our BB Accommodation. Or go with the Rockford 4channel amp. If you dont wanna spend 250 for the PDX amp then get the M300 and bridge it to 2channels. should be able to get at least 100w from that. For speakers, BB has some good accommodations through pioneer components and infinity. If your going with Infinity go with the 60.9 Kappa's or the 6.1 Perfect Kappa's .. if you do pioneer do the Premier Series Components.

PDX 4.100 = 225$

MRP-F300 = 100$

Type R Comps = 100$

Infinity Comps 60.9 = 80$

Infinity Perfects = 150$

PG RSD = 87$

JoshKorn12
05-02-2008, 03:47 PM
I would say .. go with the PDX 4channel amp from alpine through our BB Accommodation. Or go with the Rockford 4channel amp. If you dont wanna spend 250 for the PDX amp then get the M300 and bridge it to 2channels. should be able to get at least 100w from that. For speakers, BB has some good accommodations through pioneer components and infinity. If your going with Infinity go with the 60.9 Kappa's or the 6.1 Perfect Kappa's .. if you do pioneer do the Premier Series Components.

The only accommodaitons I can use are the Infinity and Pioneer. The rest you have to be a car audio installer to use. I'm going to work in about 30 minutes...I'm going to look around and see what we have and I'll post back with some prices.

I already ordered the PG RSD's from ebay for like $90 shipped. I even bought the $9 3 year replacement through ebay. That's so **** cheap for a replacement plan.

DjiNN
05-02-2008, 07:15 PM
lol .. yea i ordered myself a pair of PG RSD's .. got charged tax =\ .. still cheap regardless .. came out to 95$ instead of the 87$ ..

hairbandlover
05-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Please dont be fooled by all of the EXAGERATED HYPE on phoenix gold RSD. They are OK speakers for a TIGHT budget. If you are not running a sub and your budget is flexible there are MUCH better comp. sets for sound quality and mid bass the the RSD. If you research out the company you will see they have been sold to rodin audo http://www.rodinaudio.com/ there website alone screams CHEAP I have heard some customer service hooror stories to. Just like Crystal dying TC going bankrupt Diamond selling out to china etc Phoenix is going down the same road. So buyer beware!! They are what they are a BUDGET speaker! I suggest you take a road trip and sample listen to some sets evrybody has different tastes. I personally prefer CDT audio they are a STAPLE in the industry check out there website http://www.cdtaudio.com/ I hope you find what you want!! Happy Rockin Out!!

HU- Alpine CDA-9831
Sub-RE Audio-SR12
Amps- Alpine MRV-F450 & MRD-M301
Speakers- CDT CL-62, 2 way comp. & CL-6 Midrange
Vehicle- 2004 Toyota Rav 4

tcguy85
05-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Please dont be fooled by all of the EXAGERATED HYPE on phoenix gold RSD. They are OK speakers for a TIGHT budget. If you are not running a sub and your budget is flexible there are MUCH better comp. sets for sound quality and mid bass the the RSD. If you research out the company you will see they have been sold to rodin audo http://www.rodinaudio.com/ there website alone screams CHEAP I have heard some customer service hooror stories to. Just like Crystal dying TC going bankrupt Diamond selling out to china etc Phoenix is going down the same road. So buyer beware!! They are what they are a BUDGET speaker! I suggest you take a road trip and sample listen to some sets evrybody has different tastes. I personally prefer CDT audio they are a STAPLE in the industry check out there website http://www.cdtaudio.com/ I hope you find what you want!! Happy Rockin Out!!

HU- Alpine CDA-9831
Sub-RE Audio-SR12”

they don't sound like cheap budget speakers in my install. :)

and PG is not going anywhere. if anything they are doing very well lately.

to the OP: where in NY is plattsburg?

JoshKorn12
05-02-2008, 11:33 PM
they don't sound like cheap budget speakers in my install. :)

and PG is not going anywhere. if anything they are doing very well lately.

to the OP: where in NY is plattsburg?

I'm basically 1 hour south of Montreal. If you take I-87 north until you hit exit 37 you'll find me, right next to Lake Champlain.

Rockford Fosgate - Punch 400W (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8265469&productCategoryId=abcat0302004&type=product&tab=2&id=1170289779383#productdetail) $166

or the Infinity I mentioned above seem to be decently priced for what they are. The only Alpine PDX that we carry is $500 and I don't get a dime off from that price. I'm not quite ready to drop $500 on an amp.

tcguy85
05-02-2008, 11:38 PM
I'm basically 1 hour south of Montreal. If you take I-87 north until you hit exit 37 you'll find me, right next to Lake Champlain.

wow, your VERY upstate. lol i was gonna say if you were close you could come by and audition my rsd's. you still can if you want.... but its a hike.

dftnz7
05-03-2008, 03:08 AM

HU- Alpine CDA-9831
Sub-RE Audio-SR12

Don't put too much stock in what this guys says. RSDs are fine and are probably as good as the overrated/overpriced/rebadged raw drivers used in the CDT set in my Audi as seen in signature below. The only reason I have them at all is that a good friend of mine got his *** in a ringer $$$ wise and I took them off his hands for $.25 on the dollar, at which price they are good speakers. You will be happy with the RSDs.

DjiNN
05-03-2008, 09:54 AM

Rockford Fosgate - Punch 400W (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8265469&productCategoryId=abcat0302004&type=product&tab=2&id=1170289779383#productdetail) $166

or the Infinity I mentioned above seem to be decently priced for what they are. The only Alpine PDX that we carry is $500 and I don't get a dime off from that price. I'm not quite ready to drop $500 on an amp.

Do you work for Best Buy?? If you do go through the Accommodations and ask one of the Carfi/Installer to order the amp for you. Good thing i work in the Carfi dept.

JoshKorn12
05-03-2008, 11:18 AM
Do you work for Best Buy?? If you do go through the Accommodations and ask one of the Carfi/Installer to order the amp for you. Good thing i work in the Carfi dept.

I do work for Best Buy. But asking him to do that would put his and my employment at stake. It would be against policy for him to do so.

DjiNN
05-03-2008, 02:30 PM
eh .. guess your S.O.L. (***** Out of Luck) lol .. goood thing i applied for carfi ..

MrMckie
05-06-2008, 01:18 PM
dude, get the fosgate p400-4 we get it for $100 through the RF accomodation..better than the other four channels we have unless you wanna get the alpine pdx amp for $250..

i just ordered mine to go with my 1000-1db ($160) and a P3 sub($60)...BB discount FTW!!!