PDA

View Full Version : Need some components

WhitechapelJack
04-30-2008, 12:28 AM
Ok, this past month has been my first dab (outside of installing aftermarket headunits) into the car audio world. I've been trying to soak up as much information as I can, yet I still find my self asking lots of questions. The system I'm in the process of buying is going to go in a 2001 Tahoe. So far I have a Fi Q 12 paired with a AQ1200. I'm now looking to buy some components --fronts only for the time being. Has anyone had any experience with these: CDT Audio CL-61A-25 PRO - CDT Audio Classic 6.5" . If so and they weren't that great could you suggest some others in the under $200 category?

Now for one of the many rediculous questions that seem to only find me. How should I treat the recommended mounting depth for components? Such as: The above components have a recommended mounting depth of 2.5". Would there be another step during the install where I make something to mount the speaker into? Or is the factory hole good to go? I apologize if I didn't make that clear enough but that's the best way I could find to explain it.

Thanks for any help.

custom_audio_11
04-30-2008, 11:27 AM
If I understand your questiong right.. MOST (everyday people) just mount the speakers in the factory location without mounting them with a "mold/box" in the door. When you don't do this, the speakers still sound good for the daily driver, but a serious audio consumer can tell the difference. When you have a mold its similar to mounting a subwoofer in a box, it compresses the air and boom there is bass. However, without the mold its similar to running a sub in free air and well obviously it can't compress the air to make bass. The mold aids the midrange woofer/speaker in creating "tight bass." With that, many serious people Dynamat their door or use Road Kill (Made by Stinger), to seal their doors and ensure maximum output from the speaker. Hope this helps a little!

-Kevin

DejaWiz
04-30-2008, 12:43 PM
^ not entirely true.

Many speakers are specifically designed to work better in free air than in any kind of enclosure. Most coaxials and component speakers fall in to this category. The advantages of going with some kind of speaker pods is that it will allow the speakers to be aimed/angled more towards the listener which can have some very positive results.

As for deadener, be sure to read www.sounddeadenershowdown.com and find out what's hot and what's not in terms of material and craftsmanship.

darkist240sx
04-30-2008, 12:57 PM
and of course if mounting depth is a problem mdf baffle's work wonders. and as far as a good seal non-hardning modeling clay on the underside of the affle along with the top is a good way to go. And it will also help with the resonance of the door panel when paired with teh formerly mentioned roadkill, or dynamat. Although I think Second Skin Audio Damplifier Pro is the shyt.

WhitechapelJack
04-30-2008, 09:16 PM
Thanks guys.