PDA

View Full Version : Catalatic converter

bad @SS chevy
04-29-2008, 09:44 PM
I think mine is clogged. My car is running like ****, and my transmission is not shifting properly.. how much roughly am i looking @ spending for a high flow cat converter?? Can i run my car without a converter?

bonesninja
04-29-2008, 09:45 PM
I think mine is clogged. My car is running like ****, and my transmission is not shifting properly.. how much roughly am i looking @ spending for a high flow cat converter?? Can i run my car without a converter?

you can but if you get caught its big trouble for you. Looking at 130ish for the converter plus labor.

bonesninja
04-29-2008, 09:46 PM
and tranny shouldn't have shifting issues because of converter

brtnboarder3241
04-29-2008, 09:46 PM
ya, if you get caught without one thats a big no no

bonesninja
04-29-2008, 09:47 PM
plus there is an O2 sensor down there and without the converter it may fukk up up your fuel/air ratios if thats computer controlled

SRim23
04-29-2008, 09:48 PM
ive honestly never heard of one "being clogged" before. howd you come to that conclusion

bad @SS chevy
04-29-2008, 09:49 PM
Well. I just recently got a huge loss in power. and my shifts from 2-3rd are shuttering, and from 48mph - 50mph. I get the same hesitation/shutter/idle bounce.

bonesninja
04-29-2008, 09:49 PM
ive honestly never heard of one "being clogged" before. howd you come to that conclusion

they can buts that means the engine is putting out some serious carbon

bad @SS chevy
04-29-2008, 09:51 PM
I just replaced plugs and wires. oil change, trans fluid change. basically a whole tune up. and its still doing it.....

bonesninja
04-29-2008, 09:55 PM
Well. I just recently got a huge loss in power. and my shifts from 2-3rd are shuttering, and from 48mph - 50mph. I get the same hesitation/shutter/idle bounce.

tranny filter?

bad @SS chevy
04-29-2008, 09:56 PM
yea, tranny filter changed as well..

Its just not running like it should be, car feels like its bogging out sometimes.

bonesninja
04-29-2008, 09:57 PM
yea, tranny filter changed as well..

Its just not running like it should be, car feels like its bogging out sometimes.

take it to autozone and have them check the trouble codes

Steven206Seattl
04-29-2008, 09:59 PM
Buy a test tube for your car. It will bolt on to the manifolds where the converter would go and see if it makes a difference.
If you like the sounds it makes too leave it on and if you get pulled over without it on tell them you're testing it right now. Unless your car has o2 sensors then use tube for temporary

bad @SS chevy
04-29-2008, 10:00 PM
Ive had the codes read. And the only code that shows is Misfire on cyl. 3... But i have new plugs/wires. so how could cyl 3 be misfiring?

NMBR1SPT
04-29-2008, 10:02 PM
Yes you can clog the cat and yes it will run like crap and yeah it will shift like crap also, mine did on my 97 ram, changed it and the probs went away............

Steven206Seattl
04-29-2008, 10:03 PM
fix it and put a whistle tip.

" the whistles, the whistles go whhoooo whoooo" Bub Rub...

JK do not do the whistle tip

Racerx250
04-29-2008, 10:04 PM
Actually the o2 sensor after the car does nothing performance wise. It is to tell your cars computer that your cat is not working properly. It will not affect performance. Maybe gas mileage, but not performance. If the cat is busted or not working correctly the o2 sensor will throw a code causing your service engine light to come on.

As far as a new high flow cat. It depends on the shop you take it to. I got a high flow cat for my firebird. Costed me 120 total. If you need some help shoot me a pm. I'll help the best I can.

bad @SS chevy
any cat cleaning solution?

Steven206Seattl
I had a converter on my car a few years ago when I bought a few years ago and that was clogged so much. The car ran like **** and got horrible gas mileage too. Now it's got dual flowmasters but still is horrible on gas:)

Steven206Seattl
04-29-2008, 10:05 PM
Actually the o2 sensor after the car does nothing performance wise. It is to tell your cars computer that your cat is not working properly. It will not affect performance. Maybe gas mileage, but not performance. If the cat is busted or not working correctly the o2 sensor will throw a code causing your service engine light to come on.

As far as a new high flow cat. It depends on the shop you take it to. I got a high flow cat for my firebird. Costed me 120 total. If you need some help shoot me a pm. I'll help the best I can.
Yeah but then when you try to sell it you gotta fix it

Steven206Seattl
04-29-2008, 10:06 PM
any cat cleaning solution?

you can hollow it out but that's the ghetto way. Its called Gutting the Cat

bad @SS chevy
04-29-2008, 10:06 PM
I have flowmaster exhausts. But i think the cats are stock. would a bad cat throw a misfire cyl 3?

Racerx250
04-29-2008, 10:09 PM
What engine is that 3.8 v6 series 2?

Racerx250
04-29-2008, 10:10 PM
If it is then I will bet almost anything you sir have a bad coil pack. Does it misfire all the time or only with moderate/heavy accelertation?

bad @SS chevy
04-29-2008, 10:10 PM
yes 3.8 v6 series 2..... im pretty sure its the cat converter,

bad @SS chevy
04-29-2008, 10:11 PM
If im on the gas, full throttle its fine. Shifts great. The problem im facing is at medium acceleration. Im getting a shutter/bog/bouncing idle. Sometimes it feels like it doesnt want to shift. its really bad @ the 45-50 gear shift.

Racerx250
04-29-2008, 10:12 PM
Correct. Your cat probably is bad. But still won't cause your misfire.

bad @SS chevy
04-29-2008, 10:14 PM
but i havent noticed a misfire?? Engine wise it seems to run fine @ idle.. Doesnt a misfiring cyclinder affect your idle?

Steven206Seattl
04-29-2008, 10:15 PM
Do the cat first then you may need a new coilpack. Good thinkin racer. You're probably mistaking the misfiring with something related to the converter though

bad @SS chevy
04-29-2008, 10:16 PM
So when i Call a muffler shop tomorrow. What should I say?

Racerx250
04-29-2008, 10:22 PM
Can you hear anything rattle under the car idle/ or accelerating?

If so there is probably junk in your cat. You can possibly try to seafoam it.

A misfire on cyl 3 won't affect it to were you would notice at idle. If you put it in drive and push the brake almost to were you'd powerbrake if WILL misfire it there's a problem with your coils. As far as your cat goes have the shop check it out. They will know but don't let them screw you around. Take it to two or three shops to get several opinions,

IgnoreMe
04-29-2008, 10:36 PM
but i havent noticed a misfire?? Engine wise it seems to run fine @ idle.. Doesnt a misfiring cyclinder affect your idle?

a constant misfire can damage your catalytic converter...

you should probably clean up that misfire before you tackle replacing the converter.

bad @SS chevy
04-29-2008, 10:36 PM
whats causing my **** to misfire though??? I think the misfire code came up right after i did my plugs.

IgnoreMe
04-29-2008, 10:37 PM
whats causing my **** to misfire though??? I think the misfire code came up right after i did my plugs.

did you gap them correctly?

bad @SS chevy
04-29-2008, 10:39 PM
Yes, pre gapped plugs...

bad @SS chevy
04-29-2008, 10:40 PM
I dont think the misfire code is anything major, i think i just need to clear the codes.. Still wouldnt cause my shifting to be jacked up though right?

IgnoreMe
04-29-2008, 10:45 PM
Yes, pre gapped plugs...

i dont trust "pre-gapped" plugs. id recheck everything you did if it were me.

secondly, if you just started having a misfire i wouldnt blame it on taking the cat out. but certainly dont put a new cat in unless you can fix the misfire first.

IgnoreMe
04-29-2008, 10:49 PM
If im on the gas, full throttle its fine. Shifts great. The problem im facing is at medium acceleration. Im getting a shutter/bog/bouncing idle. Sometimes it feels like it doesnt want to shift. its really bad @ the 45-50 gear shift.

its only at that speed? tranny shifting is going to be controlled by the valve body (if you've ever seen a valve body its got valves to direct pressure which will shift gears) so if you have shifting issues that are always present in the same upshifts it could point in that direction.

how many miles are on the car (assuming these are all original parts?)?

edit: haha, what the **** was i talking about? balls and ****?

bad @SS chevy
04-29-2008, 10:51 PM
110,000 miles

and yes, the bad shifts are at the same speeds, everytime...

Racerx250
04-29-2008, 10:54 PM
err.. You said you just changed your tranny fluid and filter... How many miles ago did you that before now?

IgnoreMe
04-29-2008, 10:54 PM
110,000 miles

and yes, the bad shifts are at the same speeds, everytime...

do you feel the engine bogging down at the same time you get a bad upshift? or slightly before? or is it just always bogged down?

IgnoreMe
04-29-2008, 10:55 PM
err.. You said you just changed your tranny fluid and filter... How many miles ago did you that before now?

lets hope that fluid was still brown when he took it out and not black lol

bad @SS chevy
04-29-2008, 10:56 PM
Engine bogs/ idle jump @ the same time as it badly upshifts..

trann fluid changed 5k miles ago

budahbuddy803
04-29-2008, 10:58 PM
i think the same thing has happened to my car, except i am not spending any money to fix it, if it dies it dies. I first noticed rattling in the cat and then it stopped and i have terrible idle and shifting problems. It might be my tranny, but i am pretty sure it has a lot to do with a horrible rusted cat.

IgnoreMe
04-29-2008, 10:58 PM
Engine bogs/ idle jump @ the same time as it badly upshifts..

trann fluid changed 5k miles ago

what exactly do you mean by "idle bouncing" and "idle jump" ? do the rpm's rise at that same particular upshift?

bad @SS chevy
04-29-2008, 10:59 PM
the tranny doesnt slip or anything.

bad @SS chevy
04-29-2008, 10:59 PM
rpms just stumble as its trying to upshift. feels like a hesitation shift.

IgnoreMe
04-29-2008, 11:00 PM
so what do those terms mean? its really hard trying to diagnose anything just from someone describing noises, its going to be even harder doing it online with nothing but words lol

edit: ok i get you now. i would honestly have to say take it to the dealer or a tranny shop. someone needs to look it over. checking out a valve body isnt terribly hard assuming you have an experienced person looking it over. the misfire issue, i would just reset the CEL and see if it comes back, although usually the ECU will keep the code as a pending code, until it happens again, and then it will set off the CEL. so its already a good sign that it wasnt a fluke, but might as well try it. as for the catalytic converter, again, i would just hold out on it. one thing that really irks me is the fact that you say wide open throttle, the car drives fine, but when you drive calmly it hestitates. at wide open you are going to be moving the most exhaust, so you should notice hesitation at that point most.

also dont rule out racerx's suggestion on the coil pack. a lot of times specific cars have the same problems over and over, and if he's seen that the coil packs start acting up on those engines, it might be a good idea to keep that in mind

bad @SS chevy
04-29-2008, 11:03 PM
okay, As im accelerating,, when the car starts to shift gears @ 45-50mph.. The car stutters, rpm fluttlers, then i have to accelerate harder to get the car out of that bog , and then when it upshifts its fine..

Racerx250
04-29-2008, 11:29 PM
hmm.. Another possibility is 1 of your injectors. I know on my 99 it has the same engine. That engine is prone to electrial problems.. coil pack/ ICM/ routing of spark plug wires. And every so often an injector will crap out. I had my cat replaced about 89k miles. Now that I have overlooked my transmission fluid for so long. eventually I will have to rebuild the tranny. My fluid is now burnt. So consider yourself lucky. Keep up with the maintanence.

Racerx250
04-29-2008, 11:42 PM
Try running some lucas injector cleaner/ upper valvetrain cleaner throught it. Possibly help it. No guarantee's though.

IgnoreMe
04-30-2008, 12:11 AM
okay, As im accelerating,, when the car starts to shift gears @ 45-50mph.. The car stutters, rpm fluttlers, then i have to accelerate harder to get the car out of that bog , and then when it upshifts its fine..

so long as the tranny fluid level is spot on, im gonna seriously lean towards a valve body issue . let us know what it was when you get it fixed.

bad @SS chevy
04-30-2008, 12:11 AM
I just went out and checked the tranny level. It looks low.

IgnoreMe
04-30-2008, 12:20 AM
I just went out and checked the tranny level. It looks low.

did you check it by mfg specs?

some mfg's say tranny is park and engine running. while others might say tranny in nuetral with engine running. do you know what the mfg specifies?

bad @SS chevy
04-30-2008, 12:21 AM
engine on, in park...

WhoSayWho?
04-30-2008, 12:22 AM
Ive had the codes read. And the only code that shows is Misfire on cyl. 3... But i have new plugs/wires. so how could cyl 3 be misfiring?

Perhaps the new spark plug is not tightened well enough. Because it is easy to strip the aluminum, sometimes they will over compensate by not tightening well enough. Could be several things.

have you noticed a rotten egg smell? Often you can if its your converter.

bad @SS chevy
04-30-2008, 12:22 AM
yes, i have noticed a weird smell.

WhoSayWho?
04-30-2008, 12:39 AM
IDK, but you need to find the most trustworthy shop that you can. I recently took my vehicle into a shop asking them to check my plugs because my vehicle was stalling out at around 50mph, but would then pick up again.
I had this situation before and changing the plugs fixed it.

The first shop said it was my CA -- and that Toyota parts would be 1,800 but they could mod a universal and change plugs and wires for 600.

I called a muffler shop and they said they could do parts and labor for 180. I took it in and the guy, after putting it on the rack, reving it up and tapping on the CA came back and said that he was 90percent sure that it was not the CA. Honest guy.

He gave me the name of a solo mechanic. I went by but he said it would be several days before he could test it.

In the meantime, I dropped by a shop and asked them just to change out the plugs. They immediately said that I needed new coils. 600.

I said no thanks. I went to the real mechanic and it turned out that one of the plugs was loose and had become fouled. No charge.

Lesson, you can spend a lot of money while idiots / thieves drain you dry troubleshooting. Go to the most reputable mechanic you can find.

mazdakid
05-03-2008, 09:07 AM
the cat was bad on my girlfriends 97 blazer and it was causing it to not want to shift into gears and was running like crap. changed the cat and havent had the problem since

bad @SS chevy
05-03-2008, 05:32 PM
Checked the check engine code.

said

evap emission problem... wtf does that mean? its the cat?

benchambers80
05-03-2008, 05:36 PM
IDK just take it off and run it. If its bad replace it or take a tube and knock a hole thru the middle and put it back on(Will sound funny but cops won't know)

themommyvan
05-03-2008, 05:39 PM
IDK just take it off and run it. If its bad replace it or take a tube and knock a hole thru the middle and put it back on(Will sound funny but cops won't know)

right but when he goes to sell it they will

benchambers80
05-03-2008, 05:40 PM
right but when he goes to sell it they will

just lower the selling price by like 100$ but drivabilty might be a problem

bad @SS chevy
05-03-2008, 05:58 PM
just lower the selling price by like 100$ but drivabilty might be a problem

stfu in a nice way ;)