PDA

View Full Version : resonant frequency for honda

musclehead
05-15-2003, 08:24 PM
does anyone know the resonant frequency for a 1990 honda accord. i dont wanna have to pay 100 bucks extra to get my box tuned to that frequency. i dont know how to build boxes. im using the re hc 15. thanx

Randy Savage
05-15-2003, 08:26 PM
If you have a sub in a sealed box, a little power, and a radio shack meter, you can find it in no time.;)

musclehead
05-15-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by snova031
If you have a sub in a sealed box, a little power, and a radio shack meter, you can find it in no time.;)

cmon man, i know you know your stuff. also were can i find a 150 amp circuit breaker. i need this stuff fast. knukonceptz doesnt have the breaker. at least i didnt see it.

Randy Savage
05-15-2003, 09:24 PM
For the Resonant Frequency-

Get a radio shack meter. Have a single 10/12 inch sub in a SEALED box.
Place the sub outside the car take SPL with the meter from 35-80hz(It does not have to be at high volume, since the Radio Shack meter only goes up to 126db). Graph your results on a line graph.

Now place the sub in the car and do the same test with 35-80hz. Using the same graph, graph the results you got from inside your car with a different color pencil/pen.

Okay now look on your graph, the parts where your lines are FARTHEST apart, that is your resonant frequency.

As for the circuit breaker- http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?DID=7&WebPage_ID=3&Start=1&Filter=circuit+breaker&searchorderby=1&sm=1&so=1

andy00018
05-15-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by musclehead
does anyone know the resonant frequency for a 1990 honda accord. i dont wanna have to pay 100 bucks extra to get my box tuned to that frequency. i dont know how to build boxes. im using the re hc 15. thanx
It is really that easy, sorta, as for the you cant build a box, if you have a table saw and lumburyard/home depot around you, its really very easy.

musclehead
05-15-2003, 10:41 PM
eh, thanks alot for the help bros. im gonna get a meter tomorrow. i kinda dont understand the placing the sub outside the car and measuring. i dont wanna sound dumb, but i really dont know. oh yeah its hard to fit a table saw, in an small apartment.

man i wish i knew how to build boxes. my thing is bodybuilding. my second thing is car audio. i spend too much time choking on protein shakes. i need to improve my installation skills. thanx again

Randy Savage
05-15-2003, 10:45 PM
Well, placing the sub outside and metering it will give you readings in a free air environment, it's not inside the trunk or any part of the car. So, when it is metered in the car, the Resonant Frequency will be the value that is farthest from the reading from outside, since that is where the vehicle will react best at. Get it?

awalbert88
05-16-2003, 01:22 AM
If you don't have a table saw, a $16 Jigsaw from Walmart will do the trick. That's what I used. Best money I ever spent.

EDIT: Also, you don't want to cut MDF by hand. I did that for my first box and my arms hurt for a week afterward.

paikiah
05-16-2003, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by awalbert88
If you don't have a table saw, a $16 Jigsaw from Walmart will do the trick. That's what I used. Best money I ever spent.

EDIT: Also, you don't want to cut MDF by hand. I did that for my first box and my arms hurt for a week afterward.

lol
I'd hate to imagine jsut how long that would've taken...

but for musclehead here, it'd be a great bicep/tricep workout :) Make sure you use a blunt one for maximum muscle burn~

musclehead
05-16-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by paikiah
lol
I'd hate to imagine jsut how long that would've taken...

but for musclehead here, it'd be a great bicep/tricep workout :) Make sure you use a blunt one for maximum muscle burn~

ha,ha,ha:)

awalbert88
05-17-2003, 02:03 AM
Dude, I WAS using a dull saw, too. The only sharp one I had was rather short (hard to get a good rythm), and quickly became dull after a few attempts. I tell ya, I probably did grow my muscles a decent bit with all that. Ugh. Heh.

nick3470
05-20-2003, 12:11 AM
i must applaud your efforts, im to lazy to attempt that
i would either use power tools.....or borrow someones

paikiah
05-20-2003, 12:49 AM
to save time, buy pre-cut wood. You could assemble that in your apartment...