PDA

View Full Version : Bad idea?

FKNkid
04-25-2008, 12:38 AM
Hi everyone so i have a colorado crew and i want to put 2 subs ( either 8'' treo ssi or 10'' re sl series) in the back under my seats. i really want a ported box, the problem is the recommended ported enclosure is .75 cu ft for the treo and .65 for the re.

Question 1- do you think using the sealed box specs to make a ported box is a bad idea?

Question 2 - i do have only about 5 inches in height to work with and the treo mounting depth is 4.3somthing, so will this also cause any problems? because the sub is so close to the bottom.

sorry if its hard to understand i dont really know what im talking about and aint good at grammer :crap:

dragnix
04-25-2008, 12:40 AM
Hi everyone so i have a colorado crew and i want to put 2 subs ( either 8'' treo ssi or 10'' re sl series) in the back under my seats. i really want a ported box, the problem is the recommended ported enclosure is .75 cu ft for the treo and .65 for the re.

Question 1- do you think using the sealed box specs to make a ported box is a bad idea?

Question 2 - i do have only about 5 inches in height to work with and the treo mounting depth is 4.3somthing, so will this also cause any problems? because the sub is so close to the bottom.

sorry if its hard to understand i dont really know what im talking about and aint good at grammer :crap:

you probably need about 3 in. of clearance between the magnet and the wall of the box

hoxie08
04-25-2008, 12:40 AM
question 1. yes.
question 2. no. no problems at all as long as there is SOME space.

dragnix
04-25-2008, 12:41 AM
question 1. yes.
question 2. no. no problems at all as long as there is SOME space.

Iono about that

hoxie08
04-25-2008, 12:43 AM
Iono about that

If necessary. It'll work. I've had at least 4 10's in my old nissan truck that didnt have much/ANY (on one) space between bag of magnet and box....

FKNkid
04-25-2008, 12:47 AM
would it sound like sh*t if i were to make the ported box to the sealed specs? even though its tuned to the right hz's

drag says NO to question 2 but hoxie you say its ok??

hoxie08
04-25-2008, 12:54 AM
yeah with my personal experience. I had a (10" of each) fi x, jl w0, American bass dx, re 10, and 2 10" kicker l5's. The kickers were in a box i built, but definitely not more than a 1/4" of space between magnet and box, never had a problem with them and i ran them both pretttty hard.

These were in a little truck box, i had to make a 1/2" spacer for the fi x... meaning i had less than a 1/2" of space. American bass was also BARELY in there, i'd estimate no more than 1/8th inch of spacing.... no problems... so, yes, in my experience its never been a problem"

t00sh0rt
04-25-2008, 01:05 AM
if that 5" is before the box, remember that you need to subtract 1.5inches total for the thickness of the top/bottom of the box

FKNkid
04-25-2008, 01:06 AM
thanks thats really good to hear. so why dont you think i should use the sealed box vol. for a ported one?

thankyou hoxie for your help

Aloha

hoxie08
04-25-2008, 01:07 AM
Well, to be honest i've never heard it, but I can imagine it wouldnt really be able to be tuned correctly at all. Plus I would think that the manufacturers would have tried it during testing and it probably doesnt sound good...

IDSkoT
04-25-2008, 01:08 AM
if that 5" is before the box, remember that you need to subtract 1.5inches total for the thickness of the top/bottom of the box

x2

And as for the mounting depth-- just think... the hole on the bottom of your magnet [if your sub is built that way] is bringing in air-- thus if you make it too close it won't have enough space to **** in air... now, if it's just a magnet and no 'pole hole', plop that sucker right up against it. But odds are it will be.

FKNkid
04-25-2008, 01:12 AM

ya thanks i did that? add 1.5 right not subtract? anyways ya i get what you mean