PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good Double Din?

Anonymous
04-24-2008, 12:49 AM
I am looking for a good double din touchscreen DVD/CD receiver that has all the features that my Kenwood KDC-X891 has. Meaning I want it to have hi volt preouts, at least 4v and have 3 sets F/R/S, I want it to have USB direct connect and have Ipod Direct Connect, meaning being able to control my Ipod through the unit and not having to mess with the ipod. I also want it to be able to play video off of my ipod on the screen. Does anyone have any suggestions. The only thing that I have been able to find is not even shipping yet but it is a Pioneer AVH-P6000DVD. If anyone knows of anything else let me know.

mattcl321
04-24-2008, 12:57 AM
sorry, may be a little bit off topic, but, what are the major differences between the AVH-P6000 and the 4000? I have looked at the specs on the pioneer website but, me being new to car audio, it all seems like mumbo jumbo to me :P

Anonymous
04-24-2008, 01:40 AM
the 4000 only has 2 sets of preouts.

DD_Dave
04-24-2008, 01:41 AM
I have a Kenwood DDX512 its a nice DD dvd touch screen for under $500

Supergumby5000
04-24-2008, 01:41 AM
get the alpine-w505 so you can give me a review on its audio controls :D

SilverSquared
04-24-2008, 01:44 AM
Not many DD video units have hi-volt preout. Thats the MAIN reason I wont own another.

Anonymous
04-24-2008, 02:21 AM
I was actually looking at some Kenwoods but the preout voltage is only 2v and that would put more stress on my amps than my 5v preouts now.

deejaiatl3
04-24-2008, 02:29 AM
eclipse dvd player have high volts

Anonymous
04-24-2008, 10:12 PM
Anybody have experience with JVC's top of the line DD? Has 4 sets of 5v preouts and a USB and SD card slot.

djeazie
04-24-2008, 10:50 PM
I played with a JVC dd at Circuit City it was really nice. I like the SD card capabilitys and the large screen. The only thing I didnt like was the menus and the displays. Im used to my D3 which I think has really great menus.

Anonymous
04-25-2008, 12:38 AM
I am just looking for something that will give me the same power I have in my current 5v HU and be able to play my 80gb Ipod Video direct, be able to control the ipod through the unit and not have to use the ipod.

dannyz122001
04-25-2008, 02:51 AM
clarion MAX685BT. dont think it has hit the market yet but i want one!!!

Maven
04-25-2008, 08:20 PM

Its out in June i think, but only has 2v outs.

The JVC AVX810 has USB and SD, and 5v outs, and I dont think the menus are complicated, its pretty intuitive, the buttons/icons just arent as elaborate as the Pioneers.

Kenwood 512/712 both have USB direct control, but only 2v outs
Dont know if its still around but the 8019 had 3 pair of 5v outs, and 2 USBs.

Sony XAV-W1 has six 4v outs(2L, 2R, Sub , Ctr) and needs ~$50 adapter for iPod

Pioneer 4000 is basically a D3 without Nav, does iPod AND a USB with the cable, has 2 pair of 4v outs.

Pioneer 6000 has an internal 6disc changer, has 3 pair of 4v outs, and needs the box for iPod control

Bass911
04-25-2008, 09:48 PM
Just my opinion, even though I believe it to be fact. I don't care how many features that Pioneer has on it, it will not sound as good as the Alpine. I heard a Kenwood double din with all those features, can't remember the model number and didn't sound close to my CDA-9887. I've had Panasonic, JVC, and Clarion screens, but they cannot compare to the Alpine's sq IMO. I think the Eclispe double dins sound awesome and above or same level as Alpine. You need to look at what those outputs really do. Some state 4v-5v and still only have rms voltage of 2.5v-3.8v. My girl has a Sony with so called 5V outs and its a lot weaker than Alpine 2V decks. My 4V Alpine tested higher than 4 volts. If voltage is a must have, you should look into getting a linedriver.

Maven
04-26-2008, 12:33 AM
Just my opinion, even though I believe it to be fact. I don't care how many features that Pioneer has on it, it will not sound as good as the Alpine. I heard a Kenwood double din with all those features, can't remember the model number and didn't sound close to my CDA-9887..

The W205 and W505 both have only 2v outs, and unless Ive gone retarded Alpine rates their decks at 14.4volts. Anonymous: the Kenwood DDX8019 was a 2007 Excelon unit, and I think your best bet. Kenwood rates it at 5.0v outs and they use 12.8v I believe, not the 14.4v of Alpine. It does everything you want and you could proly pick one up for $750 without even trying. The JVC stuff is nice for the lower price point too.(710's can be had for $400 routinely, even local retail stores in my area dont exceed $425 usually)

Bass911
04-26-2008, 02:09 AM
You guys keep focusing on how many features. Features don't get you the best sound. I don't see a cheap Kenwood DDX8019 anywhere. I would never get that one over the W505. I was at this local comp a few weeks ago and almost everyone was running Alpines. I do remember a guy with a Kenwood double din. He put up the worst SPL numbers of the day. He got spanked by every 2V Alpine out there. It might have been his setup. I'm not saying Kenwood *****. I like Kenwood over Pioneer. I've ran Kenwood and the Excelon. I still like Alpine better. By the the way, I got first place in that comp for the SPL Amatuer Class. You still can't go wrong with the Kenwood.

DDeitz
04-26-2008, 02:12 AM
good luck, i was looking for the same thing you were their are not many unit's out their that match what you are looking for. i would suggest atleast dropping the preout voltage and using a line driver you have a much better chance of finding something then.

SRim23
04-26-2008, 02:16 AM
if having 5 volt preouts is a priority on you list id say eclipse is the way to go. ive owned pioneer avic n1, and now avn 5435 and with the same amps, speakers it really its a world of difference in sound between the two units. the eclipse blows the pioneer out of the water.

i like the avic's navigation a little better but overall the eclipse wins. was much easier to bypass as well. avic involves soldering internally to bypass if you have updated software.

Maven
04-26-2008, 01:00 PM
You guys keep focusing on how many features. Features don't get you the best sound. I don't see a cheap Kenwood DDX8019 anywhere. I would never get that one over the W505. I was at this local comp a few weeks ago and almost everyone was running Alpines. I do remember a guy with a Kenwood double din. He put up the worst SPL numbers of the day. He got spanked by every 2V Alpine out there. It might have been his setup. I'm not saying Kenwood *****. I like Kenwood over Pioneer. I've ran Kenwood and the Excelon. I still like Alpine better. By the the way, I got first place in that comp for the SPL Amatuer Class. You still can't go wrong with the Kenwood.

Bass911, the reason I think we ( or at least I) have been focusing on features is because thats what the OP stated his criteria were.

It was never stated, that SPL (or SQ) was a particular goal, only a "good double din" was required.

I never said the DDX8019 was "cheap", only that you should be able to get one for around $750. I recommended the JVC products if price was a concern. The 505 is about 20% more money than the Excelon, and its mainly for the questionably worthwhile Blackbird docking capabilities.

Bass911
04-26-2008, 10:20 PM
Maven, you're right. That's why I said that he couldn't go wrong with Kenwood. I was just trying to open his mind little to other options. SRim23 is right also right about Eclispe.

mannyahles
04-27-2008, 03:48 PM
I am just looking for something that will give me the same power I have in my current 5v HU and be able to play my 80gb Ipod Video direct, be able to control the ipod through the unit and not have to use the ipod.

Kenwood Excelon ddx-812 has 5 v preouts. Very ew to the market so availibility is in short demand. Kenwood also has the dnx-8120 that has built in Nav. I also like that they paired with Parrot for built in bluetooth. Prices are 800-900 and 1100-1200 respectively.

I am ery interested in the 812 but by the time I buy the kit and tax etc it will be a grand out the door.

mannyahles
04-27-2008, 03:50 PM

My local shop installed the max685BT in their shop car to show off. It is nice and is user friendly. They hadnt recieved any others as of last week. The price seems to be a little less then the kenwood excelon but the excelon has 5 v pre outs vs Clarions 2v.

mannyahles
04-27-2008, 03:53 PM
The W205 and W505 both have only 2v outs, and unless Ive gone retarded Alpine rates their decks at 14.4volts. Anonymous: the Kenwood DDX8019 was a 2007 Excelon unit, and I think your best bet. Kenwood rates it at 5.0v outs and they use 12.8v I believe, not the 14.4v of Alpine. It does everything you want and you could proly pick one up for $750 without even trying. The JVC stuff is nice for the lower price point too.(710's can be had for $400 routinely, even local retail stores in my area dont exceed $425 usually)

Get the DDX-812 with built in Parrot BT. My shop in my area priced it at $799. It is a very very nice HU.

Anonymous
04-27-2008, 11:17 PM
I am thinking bout the Pioneer AVH-6000, the JVC 810, or the kenwood 712 or 812. i have not looked into any Eclipse yet but the Alpine only has 2v preouts. I was also thinking bout the Clarion just because of its Ipod interface but once again 2v preouts. I guess if I have to I will go with 2v preouts but they just do not have the balls i want, but I could always turn up my gains.

Anonymous
04-27-2008, 11:18 PM
the Kenwood 812 is really catching my attention, just cuz I have a Kenwood unit now and it is a quality piece of equipment.

mannyahles
04-27-2008, 11:39 PM
I wanted to get the Alpine for SQ. I could live with the 2 v from them! But I cant live with their horrible BT technology. Everyone says its one of the worst on the market. Once you have BT you never wnt to be without. So BT is very important to me. So I am goign to get the 812 and I am looking at CCD rear view cameras right now!

Yepper
05-04-2008, 10:22 PM
The DDX8019 has LOTS of navigation issues. If you plan to use it with an iPod (especially video) or a phone with bluetooth, then stay away from this unit. :furious:

mannyahles
05-04-2008, 11:45 PM
I've decided to order the Clarion MAX685BT. Very nice unit and reasonably priced.

PaulD
05-05-2008, 02:40 PM
The low voltage output on the W205 was unimportant in my case because I fully intended to use the Fiber Optic output

MrDave
05-14-2008, 02:56 PM
I made a post but my internet died and it went bye bye.

Long story short...

The upper Kenwood double-dins are by far the best. The only thing that bogs them down is their ugly interface.

I have used the JVC AVX800, and I think it's a pretty good unit. The interface is a littler slower, song to song switching is a little laggy, but overall a nice looking unit. Maybe they made some improvements in the 810. It pushes nowhere near 5v preamp, I've tested it. There is an option within the unit, well atleast in the 800, that allows you to use an external amp. Makes the sound quality much better. If you have your speakers amped, it'll probably push closer to 5v.

mannyahles
05-14-2008, 03:14 PM
I have spoken with a quite a few owners and installers and overall they have said that Kenwoods have too many problems. I am sure that the high end Kenwoods are better but they should be for $1000+. I have owned quite a few Clarion products and I have had really good luck with them over the past 10 years. Therefore, I ordered my CLarion DVD MAX685BT and hopefully it should be waiting for me when I get home this evening!

MrDave
05-14-2008, 03:21 PM
Not sure about the Kenwood's problems. The amps, maybe. As far as the double din units I've only installed the high end ones. Haven't had a problem, but, that's the way it goes sometimes.

The MAX685BT isn't for the audiophile by any means.

Crutch
05-14-2008, 04:09 PM
I don't care about dvd/touch-screen, etc...all I want is a no-frills DD with at least 2 pre-amps....anyone know of one like this??

mannyahles
05-14-2008, 04:30 PM
I don't care about dvd/touch-screen, etc...all I want is a no-frills DD with at least 2 pre-amps....anyone know of one like this??

Go to clarion.com and look at their DD. They have a few reliable choices.

mannyahles
05-14-2008, 04:34 PM
Not sure about the Kenwood's problems. The amps, maybe. As far as the double din units I've only installed the high end ones. Haven't had a problem, but, that's the way it goes sometimes.

The MAX685BT isn't for the audiophile by any means.

My friend used to work for Tweeter until they went out of business. He said to stay away from Kenwood because they had more problems with Kenwood than all the other lines put together.

As for audiophile. Kenwood has 2 new DVD players 812 and 8120 (Nav).
The 812 doesnt have any more eq controls that the Clarion. Now, the 8120 does have quite a bit more eq control but with a retail price of $1300 is it worth it? Not for me. Therefore, I believe most ears will not be able to hear any difference between a Kenwood 812 and a Clarion Max685BT. The only difference felt would be the thickness of your wallet. This is just my opinion!

I should mention the Clarion does have 24 bit D/A

helotr3vor
05-14-2008, 04:54 PM
What do you guys think about the clarion MAX685BT

mannyahles
05-14-2008, 04:57 PM
I was thinking...I know...scary.

But if any one is a true audiophile I don't think they would be buying a DVD player with monitor. They would be looking into a single din Alpine or similar that has a lot of Eq control for the best SQ possible.

mannyahles
05-14-2008, 05:02 PM
What do you guys think about the clarion MAX685BT

For the money I like the product. I ordered one and hope it is sitting at home when I get there today. The BT works well and the monitor looks great. I have a few amps that have HPF and LPF so I will be using the crossovers on the amps for EQ. The price can not be beat for a quality product. Clarion isn't known for having the VERY best SQ but I know first hand that Clarion is very reliable.

I bought my MAX685BT thru sonicelectronix.com but you can get it even cheaper thru Ebay.

helotr3vor
05-14-2008, 05:03 PM
well im just stuck too choosing a double din. its like there is so many options but none of them are good

helotr3vor
05-14-2008, 05:09 PM
Im kinda liking the Clarion MAX675VD's interface i was just watching a couple videos

mannyahles
05-14-2008, 05:12 PM
well im just stuck too choosing a double din. its like there is so many options but none of them are good

There are plenty "good" ones out there. Alpine is "good" but expensive. Typically, different makers High-Line are quality products. You need to decide what your budget is and go from there. I feel paying $600 for a reliable DD is a fair price.

helotr3vor
05-14-2008, 05:12 PM
There are plenty "good" ones out there. Alpine is "good" but expensive. Typically, different makers High-Line are quality products. You need to decide what your budget is and go from there. I feel paying $600 for a reliable DD is a fair price.

Yeah me too.

mannyahles
05-14-2008, 05:23 PM
Im kinda liking the Clarion MAX675VD's interface i was just watching a couple videos

I like the Max685BT because Bluetooth is built in. And you live in Cali too so the law requires it July 1st! Plus, Sonic Electronix is in Valencia, Ca so you could probably drive over and pick it up! lol

MrDave
05-14-2008, 05:31 PM
My friend used to work for Tweeter until they went out of business. He said to stay away from Kenwood because they had more problems with Kenwood than all the other lines put together.

As for audiophile. Kenwood has 2 new DVD players 812 and 8120 (Nav).
The 812 doesnt have any more eq controls that the Clarion. Now, the 8120 does have quite a bit more eq control but with a retail price of $1300 is it worth it? Not for me. Therefore, I believe most ears will not be able to hear any difference between a Kenwood 812 and a Clarion Max685BT. The only difference felt would be the thickness of your wallet. This is just my opinion!

I should mention the Clarion does have 24 bit D/A

The Kenwood also has 24 bit d/a. Of course it would. Like I said, myself, and many others, have had no problems with Kenwood's. I've ran a 8017 for two years without a hiccup. It's just one of those things where some folks have had troubles, and others have had great experiences. I could say all the audio heads who recommend the Kenwood double dins, but it really doesn't matter. I'm going from my personal experience.

In terms of features and audio quality, Kenwood makes the best unit. I've had and played with all these units. The thing that always set the Kenwood apart was the higher preamp. The music and bass was much more crisp.

Either way, that's all irrelevant. I'm not recommending to get a Kenwood. They are too pricey.

I'm not sure how the JVC avx810 is, but judging by the 800, it should be a strong unit. Granted, you would have to buy the bluetooth adapter for it for say $140. In the 800, bluetooth wasn't that great.

helotr3vor
05-14-2008, 10:15 PM
bump

helotr3vor
05-14-2008, 10:19 PM
Let me know how you like the clarion. And a video of the bluetooth and ipod interface would be nice :)

BoostedSC
05-14-2008, 10:52 PM
I have a Kenwood DDX 7015 in my SC and it is a good unit and has worked perfectly for the last 3 years.
I also have a DDX 8017 in my GS and it sounds pretty sweet through some A/D/S comps. Both radios were refurbs and the only issues I have had with either is the DDX 8017 ejects a little slow.

mannyahles
05-15-2008, 12:24 AM
bump

JVC KW-AVX800
7" Wide Touch Panel MP3/WMA/WAV/SD/USB Receiver

You need to buy the Bluetooth Wireless Technology with optional KS-BTA200 adapter. I have not heard of how well the BT works on the JVC but I have heard first hand how well the Clarion works ;)

helotr3vor
05-15-2008, 12:34 AM
JVC KW-AVX800
7" Wide Touch Panel MP3/WMA/WAV/SD/USB Receiver

You need to buy the Bluetooth Wireless Technology with optional KS-BTA200 adapter. I have not heard of how well the BT works on the JVC but I have heard first hand how well the Clarion works ;)

just watched a video for that JVC and looks very nice. the EQ looks amazing

mannyahles
05-15-2008, 01:26 AM
I dont know much about JVC in general. Search arond this forum and see how people rate it. I am reading up on my Clarion I got today. I am installing it this weekend with the OEM steering wheel control and back up camera. Should be a fun project!

MrDave
05-15-2008, 01:53 AM
Look for the JVC 810. It's the newer one. I've personally used the 800.

Crutch
05-15-2008, 11:29 AM
Go to clarion.com and look at their DD. They have a few reliable choices.

Cool..thanks

mannyahles
05-16-2008, 03:01 AM
I will be installing my Clarion this weekend. I will take some pics and show you the build. Should be a fun project!

helotr3vor
05-16-2008, 03:10 AM
I will be installing my Clarion this weekend. I will take some pics and show you the build. Should be a fun project!

and video please :D

mannyahles
05-16-2008, 03:15 AM
How do I show you videa here on caraudio.com?
I have a dig camera that takes video................??

helotr3vor
05-16-2008, 03:25 AM
How do I show you videa here on caraudio.com?
I have a dig camera that takes video................??

post it on youtube

mannyahles
05-16-2008, 03:31 AM
gotcha

mannyahles
05-19-2008, 01:20 AM
I installed the Clarion DVD and it is awesome! I also installed a CCD rear camera and it is sweet! My stereo system sounds and looks sick! I am very impressed with the whole enchilada! :crazy:

I only had time to take a few photos. CHeck out my gallery. I havent messed with the BT or Ipod. (I dont have an Ipod yet).

helotr3vor
05-19-2008, 03:13 AM
I installed the Clarion DVD and it is awesome! I also installed a CCD rear camera and it is sweet! My stereo system sounds and looks sick! I am very impressed with the whole enchilada! :crazy:

I only had time to take a few photos. CHeck out my gallery. I havent messed with the BT or Ipod. (I dont have an Ipod yet).

very nice man! yeah i want to see the ipod interface once you get one

helotr3vor
05-19-2008, 03:17 AM
and hows the bluetooth?

mannyahles
05-19-2008, 01:09 PM
I will sync my phone this evening for BT. I was beat installing everything from this weekend and just wanted to enjoy listening to my system!

helotr3vor
06-27-2008, 02:53 PM
bump

mannyahles
06-27-2008, 03:21 PM
What does "bump" mean?

allstarfb7
11-19-2008, 09:55 PM
hey guys i also have a question ive already had the alpine iva-w505 but it got stolen, and now im thinking of buying a 15'' juggernaut running about 2000 watts, and im new to car audio and a local shop told me the alpine 2v was minimum, and recommended i get the jvc 810 cause of its 5v, im looking for my system to have good SQ but also to hit really hard. so 1. would the headunit make much of a difference either way between the alpine or JVC making the jugg hit? and also of the 2 regarding audio what would u choose? or what other HU would u recommend? if price isnt an issue? and i dont care much for BT or navigation either way is fine

bureau13
11-20-2008, 01:55 AM
FWIW, I think if you use the Imprint processor with the W505 it gives you 4V pre-outs. Of course that's another $200 or so by the time you're finished...

jds

allstarfb7
11-20-2008, 03:16 AM
haha sunrise nice im in jupiter. theres a bunch of ppl from florida on here. but really thats great i was thinking of getting the imprint. but are u sure of that? if not how would i be able to find out? cause if it is then im definately getting the w505 again

jluv
11-20-2008, 11:10 AM
IMO, people worry waaaaaaay too much about the 2v vs 4v or 5v output. Last time I checked most amps had a gain knob so you can properly match the amp to the head unit anyway. If you know what you're doing, it shouldn't be a concern at all, and you're not going to notice any SQ difference by going with a 2v unit.

I have the 505/701/Blackbird combo, and that will give you 4v out and the Bluetooth through the Blackbird is incredible. When I hop in my truck, my iPhone syncs up in about 3 seconds, showing my phone book, missed calls, dialed calls, received calls, caller ID, etc. It sounds great and everyone can hear me fine.

If you've got the coin, go for it. You won't be disappointed.

mannyahles
11-20-2008, 01:59 PM
I believe that using a HU that has a higher voltage preouts can be important depending on your amps. I have a Clarion DVD and its screen and Ipod is very user friendly and clear but I have to turn my amps gain pretty high to get enough power to my power hungry comps. But the Carion was only $550 vs much more!

jluv
11-20-2008, 03:39 PM
I believe that using a HU that has a higher voltage preouts can be important depending on your amps. I have a Clarion DVD and its screen and Ipod is very user friendly and clear but I have to turn my amps gain pretty high to get enough power to my power hungry comps. But the Carion was only $550 vs much more!

There is nothing wrong with turning your gain up higher if that's what's needed and you are doing it correctly to match the input/output level (not as a voume knob).

On the flip side of your scenario, the higher voltage can actually pose a problem for some older amps. For example, when using my PPI Audio Art amps with a 4v out from the processor, I had to crank the gain all the way down, and still the final output voltage from the amps was a tad bit higher than it needed to be. It worked fine, but that could have been an even bigger problem with some of those head units out there that boast an 8v output.

Is it better to start with 4v out from the head unit vs a 2v out? Sure, a little better. But it's not as big of a deal as people make it out to be. I certainly would never base my decision off of that when comparing head units to purchase. Just my $.02.

mannyahles
11-20-2008, 03:47 PM
Very well said. I based my Hu decision on price and quality. I could afford $550 and Clarion HU are above average. Maybe not the best, but they get the job done and are reliable.

jluv
11-20-2008, 03:59 PM
Very well said. I based my Hu decision on price and quality.

Yep. Another big one for me is the user interface. I've always been a fan of Kenwood quality and the looks of the units themselves, but to me the Alpine interface is much, much easier to use. I feel like a newb whenever I start fooling with my girlfriend's Kenwood, and I end up going to the manual, which is lengthy and complicated as well.

Alpine just seems so straightforward and logical, but that may just be because I'm really used to it.

I had a Clarion many years ago that I liked a lot, but one day it swallowed a CD and wouldn't let it out. I'm not experienced with any of their new stuff, but it sounds like you got a good price on a quality double din.

mannyahles
11-20-2008, 04:31 PM
That is funny you said that a Clarion Hu ate your Cd. Back in the late 80's when i didnt have much money I saved and saved and saved until I could buy an Alpine Cd player. Guess what? It ate a CD within 3 months!!! I was so dissappointed! hahaha

allstarfb7
11-20-2008, 05:33 PM
haha i know im just knew to the whole audio deal, and a guy at the local shop told me that the volt output made a huge difference in the sound. so if im running a DD9515 with 2000watts, does it rle matter wether i get the Alpine iva-w505 or the JVC KW-AVX810J? the alpine has 2v, and the JVC has 5v.... and does the voltage even make any difference in your sound, like does it make it sound clearer, or hit harder? or does it just make it easier on ur amp and thats it?

mannyahles
11-20-2008, 06:10 PM
I believe it just makes it easier on your amp. I also believe that SQ (sound Quality) is based of the HU and its internal processor. IMO!!!!

allstarfb7
11-20-2008, 11:07 PM
ya i had a conversation with one of the members of the DD tech staff and he said he would easily pick the 2v alpine w505 over the 5v JVC 810. which deffinately helped, cause i was partial to the w505 considering ive already had it :)

HCCA
11-28-2008, 07:45 PM
K, I've read a lot of this thread, but still have a couple questions. The comments on interface, and bypassing.....I don't have any stores near me with these units in stock to play with. So, I don't know what bypassing is referring to, and I haven't had time to play with the interface of each one to see what I like, myself.

As for the output voltage....I am old school. I don't listen to just rap. So, loud is not as much a priority, as SQ. You are correct that output voltage doesn't increase sound quaility...in, and of itself. HOWEVER...2V outputs are derived from the car's 12v supply, which itself varies with the alt/battery/load. 4V,5V,8V outputs, use switching power supplies. These switching power supplies use a constant rail voltage to derive the higher output voltages. In short, they have clean output up to the rated voltage. 2V units will ALLclip the output signal near full volume. Don't know about the rest of you, but I could do without unnecessary clipping induced into an otherwise "clean" system. Second, the larger the "clean" signal voltage to the amp (or other downstream component), the less noise you will pick up at the downstream gains. Doesn't matter if I can "match" the gains to the incoming signal. Your preAMP stage AMPLIFIES the incoming signal, and any noise that came along for the ride.
Small amount? Maybe. But, all vehicles are different. What might be nothing for one vehicle, might be intolerable on another. If nothing else, I'll just take the 4V output for the lack of clipped signal at full volume.

bureau13
11-29-2008, 01:14 AM
Hey, sorry for the late reply, didn't see this originally.

According to http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product_acc.php?model=PXA-H100 the Imprint processor "switches the HU front and rear 2V pre-outs to three 4V pre-outs."

jds

haha sunrise nice im in jupiter. theres a bunch of ppl from florida on here. but really thats great i was thinking of getting the imprint. but are u sure of that? if not how would i be able to find out? cause if it is then im definately getting the w505 again

allstarfb7
12-01-2008, 05:32 PM
hey guys so i just purchased the alpine iva-w505 headunit and installed it myself but ive noticed a few problems and was wondering if anyone could help me fix them or atleast direct me in the right direction. so 1. i cant view any dvds it plays them as a track like i can hear the dvd playing but i cant see it it just reads it as a track (it does this for dvd's and off of ipod) 2. there is no general setup option, only audio setup so i cant change the time or anything. 3. the headunit fits slush and perfect in my dash but when i try to open it, it gets caught on the bracket. can any1 help me with these problems??? thank you

WKD TC
12-01-2008, 05:33 PM
who installed it for you

jluv
12-02-2008, 12:59 PM
hey guys so i just purchased the alpine iva-w505 headunit and installed it myself but ive noticed a few problems and was wondering if anyone could help me fix them or atleast direct me in the right direction. so 1. i cant view any dvds it plays them as a track like i can hear the dvd playing but i cant see it it just reads it as a track (it does this for dvd's and off of ipod) 2. there is no general setup option, only audio setup so i cant change the time or anything. 3. the headunit fits slush and perfect in my dash but when i try to open it, it gets caught on the bracket. can any1 help me with these problems??? thank you

You need to read your manual. It will explain the proper steps to see video and access your setup menus. It's a pain in the butt and is designed to keep you from being distracted while driving.

Just install the PAC-TR7 bypass module and you won't have to mess with any of that.

As for it catching on the bracket, that's an installation problem. Take it back to whomever installed it. If you did it yourself, find out where it's catching and fix it. If you can't, then take it somewhere and have them install it properly.

allstarfb7
12-02-2008, 05:57 PM
ya i fixed the catching problem so now it opens and closes without a problem,
but thats the thing i have the TR7 bypass module hooked up. the headunit plays the dvd but i cant see it... like it doesnt bring up the visual instead it plays it like its a cd! and it plays it like a track in park and also while im driving so i can hear it but i cant see the dvd! anyone know how to fix that?
and also im almost 100% positive i wired everything correctly i followed the wiring diagram but i dont have a general setup option! and cant change the time or anything. thanks for the help guys

jluv
12-03-2008, 01:48 PM
ya i fixed the catching problem so now it opens and closes without a problem,
but thats the thing i have the TR7 bypass module hooked up. the headunit plays the dvd but i cant see it... like it doesnt bring up the visual instead it plays it like its a cd! and it plays it like a track in park and also while im driving so i can hear it but i cant see the dvd! anyone know how to fix that?
and also im almost 100% positive i wired everything correctly i followed the wiring diagram but i dont have a general setup option! and cant change the time or anything. thanks for the help guys

It sounds like your TR7 is not wired correctly. Triple check it. if it's still not working, you may have a bad TR7.

You have to do more than just park the truck to get the video to work (without a properly installed bypass). You have to do some stupid sequence with the brake pedal and e-brake. Even then, if you wired the bypass you wouldn't have wired up the factory brake wires, so parking or even doing that sequence isn't going to make any difference.

I'm 99.9% sure the problem is with your TR7, and most likely it's not wired correctly.

farmerehsan
12-03-2008, 01:52 PM
pm me if ur intrested in a flip out i have a clairon vrx575usb

farmerehsan
12-03-2008, 04:44 PM
bumpp

allstarfb7
12-03-2008, 05:36 PM
yeah i called alpine yesterday and the guy said that was most likely the problem. but im almost 100 % sure that i wired it right. but the tr7 directions confused me on one part, at one point it says that for the video bypass you need to program the TR7 but then later it says that the TR7 is preprogrammed for this feature and that u dont need to program it. so i didnt program it i just wired it and installed... should i have programmed the tr7 for this feature? and if not the only other thing i think it could be is the tr7 directions said to wire the green wire to the headunits "remote wire" but the w505 has a remote out, a remote in, and a remote turn on (for the amp) but i ruled that out cause it didnt make any sense. so should i of wired it to the remote out or the remote in?

jluv
12-03-2008, 05:55 PM
yeah i called alpine yesterday and the guy said that was most likely the problem. but im almost 100 % sure that i wired it right. but the tr7 directions confused me on one part, at one point it says that for the video bypass you need to program the TR7 but then later it says that the TR7 is preprogrammed for this feature and that u dont need to program it. so i didnt program it i just wired it and installed... should i have programmed the tr7 for this feature? and if not the only other thing i think it could be is the tr7 directions said to wire the green wire to the headunits "remote wire" but the w505 has a remote out, a remote in, and a remote turn on (for the amp) but i ruled that out cause it didnt make any sense. so should i of wired it to the remote out or the remote in?

No programming is necessary, and leave the switch in the "off" position.

Red from TR7 goes to switched power (test this from your factory lead to make sure you have at least 12v when the key is in the ACC position). Don't make the mistake of just hooking the red lead from the TR7 to the 505 and not tying in the actual switched lead from the vehicle.

Black from TR7 goes to ground.

Green from TR7 goes to the amp turn on lead from the 505 (blue and white).

Blue from TR7 goes to footbrake wire from 505 (yellow and black).

White from TR7 goes to parking brake wire (yellow and blue).

allstarfb7
12-04-2008, 01:56 AM
ya i wired the green from the TR7 to the remote in, so is that why its not working? but i also have a much bigger problem now, yesterday i was messing with the TR7 and managed to get to it without taking out the headunit but i turned it to on and left it there cause my dad thought that would be ok. and everything was fine while i was driving around today but i parked my truck for about an hour and when i went back in and turned on my car none of the lights in my truck worked!!! i cant run my headlights on always mode only on constant, my gauges dont work, or courtesy lights on the ceiling. but get this when i turn on the left courtesy light(drivers side) it turns on my power windows and headunit! and if i turn the switch off it turns them off as well!!! is this because i left the TR7 on? i turned it off and havent driven it again yet but while in park it still had the same problems. does anyone know what caused this or how to fix it? and o ya i also have no blown fuses.
thank you

jluv
12-04-2008, 12:36 PM
ya i wired the green from the TR7 to the remote in, so is that why its not working? but i also have a much bigger problem now, yesterday i was messing with the TR7 and managed to get to it without taking out the headunit but i turned it to on and left it there cause my dad thought that would be ok. and everything was fine while i was driving around today but i parked my truck for about an hour and when i went back in and turned on my car none of the lights in my truck worked!!! i cant run my headlights on always mode only on constant, my gauges dont work, or courtesy lights on the ceiling. but get this when i turn on the left courtesy light(drivers side) it turns on my power windows and headunit! and if i turn the switch off it turns them off as well!!! is this because i left the TR7 on? i turned it off and havent driven it again yet but while in park it still had the same problems. does anyone know what caused this or how to fix it? and o ya i also have no blown fuses.
thank you

LOL! Wow dude. Sorry for laughing but that's crazy. You've got your stuff all jacked up.

You don't want your TR7 wired to the remote in. That shouldn't be causing your problems, but it's not going to work properly.

You need to wire the green wire from the TR7 to the remote/amp turn-on lead from the 505. That wire is blue and white.

The TR7 needs to be in the "off" position. Having it "on" shouldn't be causing those freakish problems, but still...

You may have problems with it now from hooking it up wrong and messing with the switch. It comes programmed out of the box to work with the Alpine units, but you may have reprogrammed it or caused it to lose that programming. Try hooking it up correctly and keeping the switch off and see if that works. If not, you may have to manually program it for the Alpine deck by following the instructions that came with the TR7.

We know that you hooked up some wires incorrectly, and it sounds like youy may have messed up other wiring in your vehicle. Vehicle wiring is not one of those things you want to screw up. Either you know what you're doing and can follow directions carefully, or you should leave it to the pros. You can wire up the wrong stuff and literally kill your vehicle's entire electrical system or even burn your car to the ground.

Good luck. I'm trying to be helpful, not mean, but you seriously should consider either taking it to a reputable shop or having someone with more experience actually there help you/show you/do it for you.

allstarfb7
12-05-2008, 01:34 AM
yeah i mean i hooked up everything right except the green wire on the TR7 i just wired it to the remote in instead of the remote turn on, but that didnt cause the problems, the problems started after i turned the switch to the relay on and left it on while i drove around. i think that everytime i would start the car the relay was taking it as a step to program it, and after i turned it on so many times it programmed the TR7 to do all the tricky **** it is doing now, so today i just took out the TR7 and put my headunit back in but the problems are still there. so what ever the TR7 did it like told my computer in my truck that those particular switches (such as the courtesy lights etc.) turn on certain items. i plan on taking my truck to ford but putting in my factory radio and just playing dumb. but i was wondering if ford just has some system or software they could plug into my computer or w/e and reset the factory settings cause everything works (except the gauges) its just different switches are turning them on. or is the problem much more severe than that?

jluv
12-05-2008, 10:04 AM
yeah i mean i hooked up everything right except the green wire on the TR7 i just wired it to the remote in instead of the remote turn on, but that didnt cause the problems, the problems started after i turned the switch to the relay on and left it on while i drove around. i think that everytime i would start the car the relay was taking it as a step to program it, and after i turned it on so many times it programmed the TR7 to do all the tricky **** it is doing now, so today i just took out the TR7 and put my headunit back in but the problems are still there. so what ever the TR7 did it like told my computer in my truck that those particular switches (such as the courtesy lights etc.) turn on certain items. i plan on taking my truck to ford but putting in my factory radio and just playing dumb. but i was wondering if ford just has some system or software they could plug into my computer or w/e and reset the factory settings cause everything works (except the gauges) its just different switches are turning them on. or is the problem much more severe than that?

I don't think the TR7 itself caused those issues you're describing. And taking it out shouldn't result in the issues still being there (if it caused them). Sounds like you've got more going on.

Good luck!

allstarfb7
12-09-2008, 05:29 PM
ok thank god for friends! i was talking to one of my older friends and said he had had the same problem a year back with his brand new truck. he goes in my truck pops his head under the dash pushes in a wire and my truck is good as new! all of the problems occured because one of the factory plugs to the dash wasnt plugged in all of the way! but now for one final question. i have already taken off the TR7, and now intend to put it back on, but because i ran my truck and drove it around with the TR7 switch on will i need to reprogram it?

jluv
12-09-2008, 08:10 PM
ok thank god for friends! i was talking to one of my older friends and said he had had the same problem a year back with his brand new truck. he goes in my truck pops his head under the dash pushes in a wire and my truck is good as new! all of the problems occured because one of the factory plugs to the dash wasnt plugged in all of the way! but now for one final question. i have already taken off the TR7, and now intend to put it back on, but because i ran my truck and drove it around with the TR7 switch on will i need to reprogram it?

Probably not. Only one way to find out. Put it in there and see what happens. If it doesn't work, program it by following the directions. Either way you'll be fine.

allstarfb7
12-10-2008, 06:10 PM
ok and when programming it, is all i need to do is just do the programming required for the alpine bypass, or do i have to program it for every option??

jluv
12-11-2008, 01:09 PM
ok and when programming it, is all i need to do is just do the programming required for the alpine bypass, or do i have to program it for every option??

I'm not real sure that I understand your question.

There are instructions on how to program it to function as a bypass for Alpine head units.

Why would you program it for anything else?

Have you tried just putting it back in? I doubt you'll have to do any programming at all.

allstarfb7
12-11-2008, 08:25 PM
no i havent put it back in yet i probly will in about an hour or so

allstarfb7
12-15-2008, 11:03 PM
question is it possible to hook up say a slim ps2 to my alpine iva-w505? to i just plug it into the 3 video cables and then into an adapter for power and im good???

Mika Whittaker
12-16-2008, 12:10 AM
I'm trying to get a DD unit for $500-$600. I see a couple ways to do this. One is a 6" to 6.5" screen instead of a 7", or a 7" without nav. I have a few questions.

I looking at http://mobile.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL028304&pathId=133&page=1 ,so when I get my Iphone will the map application show on the screen?
I didn't see where it was dual zone, are they all pretty much dual zone or not?
Do you guys notice a big differance in the smaller screens?

Thanks
Mika

Racerx250
12-16-2008, 12:39 AM
Buy my Clarion MAX675vd 425shipped

jluv
12-17-2008, 12:12 PM
question is it possible to hook up say a slim ps2 to my alpine iva-w505? to i just plug it into the 3 video cables and then into an adapter for power and im good???

You can hook the PS2 to the AUX input on the back of the 505. Get an invertor (I prefer to hardwire one) and plug the PS2 in, and enjoy.

I have two PS2s in my truck, but then again I don't run them to my 505 at all. I use them with the headrest monitors.

allstarfb7
12-29-2008, 02:28 AM
ya i was thinking of purchasing headrest monitors later on, where did u purchase yours from?

and to hardwire the invertor how would i do that exactly?? and how many watts should i get for the invertor, 700?, 1200?

and also for an update i recently purchased a 15" dreadnaut (mmats audio) and a 1200 Watt amp, the box is being built, and ill most likely install it along with the TR7 tomorrow, along with the audio imprint module for extra clarity :)

FernandoC
11-09-2009, 11:51 PM
Hi guys

This is my first post on this forum, and i hope i can get some good informations here..

Im going to US next month and im going to buy a double din deck..

For now i got a bad Napoli DVD :wow:

But i have some doubt about this decks:

Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVH-P4100DVD-Double-DIN-Multimedia-Widescreen/dp/B001PAECYE/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top#moreAboutThisProduct

Kenwood Excelon DDX812
http://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-Excelon-DDX812-monitor-digital/dp/B0017YPQBG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1257822951&sr=1-1

Clarion MAX685BT
http://www.amazon.com/Clarion-MAX685BT-Multimedia-Bluetooth-Navigation/dp/B0012NETM4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Clarion VX709
http://www.amazon.com/Clarion-VX709-Double-DIN-Multimedia-Touch-Panel/dp/B001OQGDIM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1257824362&sr=1-1

Alpine IVA-W205
http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-IVA-W205-2-DIN-Receiver-Black/dp/B000RFR9RU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Alpine IVA-W505
http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-IVA-W505-Mobile-Multimedia-Station/dp/B00142KLA2/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Those are my requeriments
- BT Its not necessery, but sound nice to have it
- i NEED a real nice HPF e LPF (80hz both) because my amps. dont have it
- I use a usb conexian for the pen drive, and some times an ipod.

Witch on those sounds the best one for me?

zuozuo
11-10-2009, 03:11 AM
car DVD player online store (http://www.gpsdvdplayer.com)

Car DVD GPS Player can play MP4/ DivX/ XviD/ DVD/ CD /VCD / CD/ CD-R/ CD-RW / MP3 with GPS TV FM RDS DVB-T Bluetooth SD Card Amplifier can show the best route to your destination can help you save a lot of time ,especail when you in strange city

Chrysler 300C Car DVD Player with GPS Navigation System 3D Screen Steering wheel control

Product Description:

Touch screen 5.0 Inch 2-DIN TFT LCD Monitor with DVD Player/TV/4*45 amplifier/AM/FM/GPS Built-in/CDC/USB/SD Card
3D menu Operation
ipod ready
Steering wheel control
DVD/VCD/MP3/MP4/DIVX/CD/CD-R/CD-RW/DVD-RW Formats
Dimmer function for night driving
DVD/VCD/CD changer control interface
Multi-channel auto EQ
Auto reverse function when parking
Car clock function
AUX input
Bluetooth build-in
Warranty:One year

car DVD player online store (http://www.gpsdvdplayer.com)