PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid Computer System WOW!!

HybridMike
05-13-2003, 08:12 PM
Hey, just wanted to get some input from you guys in regards to our HybridPC, its a full featured PIII 1.2Ghz PC with DVD, MP3, GPS, Wireless, Voice Recog., and a UXGA High Resolution (1600 X 1200) Touch screen 7" x 4" LCD monitor..... here is a picture of our latest demo vehicle, it is a 1995 Nissan Maxima SE:
http://www.hybridmobilesolutions.com/Maxima/Hybrid%20Center%20on.JPG

Here it is before installing the center console back into the car playing a dvd:
http://www.hybridmobilesolutions.com/Maxima/DVD%20EXAMPLE.JPG

If you want to know more about this, feel free to go to our website, at www.hybridmobilesolutions.com we are going to be at SEMA this year so stop by, we will see you there!

By the way our system does alot more than just a computer system in your car, even though that is cool enough for alot of us!

Feel free to join our forum....are site is new, but continueing to grow....Thanks!
Mike

Bumpin03
05-13-2003, 08:15 PM
wow that is sweet....im afraid to ask what something like that goes for???

paikiah
05-13-2003, 08:21 PM
Looks like the kind of thing I was planning to do by myself, only with a 15.1" screen (when I get enough money)

How did you manage to go round the HDD bad sector problem? Or is the PC only functional when the car is parked? Anyway, looks great. If only the screen was touch sensitive.

Bumpin03
05-13-2003, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by HybridMike
and a UXGA High Resolution (1600 X 1200) Touch screen 7" x 4" LCD monitor

paikiah
05-13-2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Bumpin03

ah, I missed that...:D

HybridMike
05-13-2003, 08:49 PM
How did you manage to go round the HDD bad sector problem? Or is the PC only functional when the car is parked? Anyway, looks great. If only the screen was touch sensitive

Our Pc is running off a regulated 18vdc power supply that we developed ourselves...it is 12v in and produces the neccesarry 18v to power the pc...in addition the power consumption is continuously monitored for drops in battery capacity, thus telling the pc to shut down if the battery starts to loose its charge....like if its sitting on for two days youd want it to shut itself down so you dont come out to a dead battery. and no the PC functions all the time....here is a better view of the whole unit from the back of the center console..

http://www.hybridmobilesolutions.com/Maxima/CPU%20side.JPG

We are officially releasing this to the public after Sema in Nov. but it looks like a basic unit which includes the PC and all its features, the touch screen and our CECU core unit (upgradeable) will cost anywhere between 1500.00 to 1700.00....not bad considering what it would cost if you bought all the components seperately

paikiah
05-13-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by HybridMike
Our Pc is running off a regulated 18vdc power supply that we developed ourselves...it is 12v in and produces the neccesarry 18v to power the pc...in addition the power consumption is continuously monitored for drops in battery capacity, thus telling the pc to shut down if the battery starts to loose its charge....like if its sitting on for two days youd want it to shut itself down so you dont come out to a dead battery. and no the PC functions all the time....here is a better view of the whole unit from the back of the center console..

We are officially releasing this to the public after Sema in Nov. but it looks like a basic unit which includes the PC and all its features, the touch screen and our CECU core unit (upgradeable) will cost anywhere between 1500.00 to 1700.00....not bad considering what it would cost if you bought all the components seperately

I must commend your company on a very good job of compressing the PC platform into such a small box...

however, that leaves upgrading to a minimum.. what upgrades are possible with your board (I take it that it is a custom PCB, seeing the ps/2 ports out at the side that way) and how would HDD be physically accessed?

Standard HDD doesn't take much bumps (especially on roads) to get bad sectors (i.e. scratches on the plates) and notebook HDD's get very hot. What kind of cooling have you incorporated into the system?

again, a very good idea, something I've wanted to do, but lack the resources and time.

ss3079
05-13-2003, 09:00 PM
I'd love to open one up and take a look at the PCB and internals...that is totally custom work their folks.

I give you much respect for completing such a brilliant task:) Keep up the good work, and hope to see you at SEMA one day.

- Steve

james33440
05-23-2003, 01:24 PM
When I seen a pic of the back of the PC, it looks like the PicaraPC that I have seen used before. Here is a link to what I am talking about installed in Wombat's truck... http://www.sounddomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=212438&page=2

paikiah
05-23-2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by james33440
When I seen a pic of the back of the PC, it looks like the PicaraPC that I have seen used before. Here is a link to what I am talking about installed in Wombat's truck... http://www.sounddomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=212438&page=2

It looks so much alike...

the jacks are in the same spots... (same Mboard I guess)

WHo knows? Maybe hybrid bought over PicaraPC :)

Audio N00B
05-23-2003, 07:29 PM
The resolution of the screen alone amazes me, lol.

BenTLocK
06-01-2003, 09:14 PM
this is what makes car audio.. cant wait to see what else u guys make

RcRacerDrew
07-09-2003, 08:37 AM
Can you use that in place of a headunit? Where are the RCAs or do you need a special sound card with surround?

paikiah
07-09-2003, 09:06 AM
I guess you COULD useit as a hu if you don't mind PC soundcard processing and ULTRA low preout voltage.

You'd probably want to buy a line driver of some sort...

HybridMike
07-09-2003, 01:01 PM
Sorry I havent wrote back on this thread for a while, Ive been in California meeting with some companys that we will partnership with in the future....
as for the sound card, a 16bit sound card can process better than your average 8bit cd players, cd audio is only sampled at 44khz, as far as the preout level goes we havent experianced any problems with that, with an external crossover and input level gain, you have more than enough. One thing you want to make sure you dont do is crank up the levels at the source to the point of overdrive...ie....winamp preout or system volume, otherwise you will get overdrive on the sound card.

Yes, You will be able to replace the head unit with this, it will offer all the features and more for alot less money, we will be offering a 5.1 output card that can be used for dolby surround sound

It looks so much alike...
the jacks are in the same spots... (same Mboard I guess)
WHo knows? Maybe hybrid bought over PicaraPC

No we did not "buy them out" they are a reseller of our Mini PC, we get our cpu's direct from the taiwan manufacturer, actually I just got back from meeting with their people at california office.

bumpinthanite
07-09-2003, 05:10 PM
it looks smarter than me

props

DiB
07-27-2003, 03:31 PM
Those cappuccino pc's are neat, you can buy all the parts separate for quite a bit cheaper and possibly increased speed. If you also do it separate you can have more control for the add-ons. Check out www.mini-itx.com for some neat projects done with small computer systems. Sorry for rambling I'm just a computer guy.

atldavek
10-04-2003, 01:00 AM
How long would it take to boot up?
I could see driving down the road for 5 mins, and having to wait for 2 mins to here bumps, being a problem.

But killer ****.

nswartley
10-04-2003, 07:27 PM
woo this thread is old...

Matador
10-20-2003, 01:20 AM
very old, hybrid shoul dhave just made a new thread.