PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone remember these? JL audio Fiberglass Baffle Plates

hemi4me?
04-22-2008, 06:40 PM
I was searching online trying to find one of these to buy. They were made years ago by JL audio and I remember they were not very expensive. I would like one for the rear deck of my car with 2 10" woofers. I remember they made one for 3 subs, and they also made one for 2.

If anyone has a lonk of any for sale, or if anyone has a site that might sell a baffle like this I would appreciate the input!

Thank you

Paul

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/pdfs/Tutorials/MERA_2002.pdf

req
04-22-2008, 06:47 PM
i dont ever remember them being for sale, i thought it was just a sort of tool to teach people how to do custom fab work, or part of a 'car audio school' program jl was trying to put forth and never really succeeded in.

you are better off just making a custom glassed thing by yourself using the same techniques that the PDF file entails but not doing any of that plaster crap. just stop at the original glass form, and use that.

hemi4me?
04-22-2008, 06:54 PM
Hmmmm I was hoping to get out easy, and not do it myself! I am very uncreatvie (is that a word?) and rather lazy. That looked like an awful lot of work for me!

SPY
04-22-2008, 07:09 PM
I think they called them ISO mounting plates or something like that.

hemi4me?
04-22-2008, 07:14 PM
Yes you are right... Anyone know of a place that sells these? Or something similar?

helotaxi
04-23-2008, 01:42 AM
There were the ISO plates in 2 and 4 Iso pair configuration and the Tri-plate in inline and triangular layouts (that came out to complement the original W6 subs). They were sold through JL dealers for several years but not anymore. I think that they were discontinued in the late 90's. Good luck finding one nowadays. I've looked with no luck. Best bet is to make it yourself.

hemi4me?
04-23-2008, 01:48 AM
Lets say I found someone LOCAL TO PHX AZ that was going to make me one? How much would you anticipate I would pay?

helotaxi
04-23-2008, 04:02 AM
For 2 10s depending on the thickness and the type resin used, materials could easily run $100. Expect $150+ for labor at a shop, cheaper if it's just a friend doing it.

IamDeMan
04-23-2008, 05:18 AM
i dont ever remember them being for sale, i thought it was just a sort of tool to teach people how to do custom fab work, or part of a 'car audio school' program jl was trying to put forth and never really succeeded in.

you are better off just making a custom glassed thing by yourself using the same techniques that the PDF file entails but not doing any of that plaster crap. just stop at the original glass form, and use that.

It's not often you are, but in this you are wrong. These sold in the early 90s. I had a friend who used the 3 in a triangle plate for his W6s.

I haven't seen one in a long time and doubt it will be easy to find one. I don't think they sold too well in the first place. Most people who want a show look, will do it themselves.

hemi4me?
04-23-2008, 11:44 AM
I assume if I were to make an "iso plate" I could then build a box below the deck to get a sealed enclosure. I wonder if the 12" I have on the rear deck from front to back is enough room to do this?

I might have to make 2 one for each 10 and one for each side.