PDA

View Full Version : Bass Race? For the noobs.....

SPL Blazer
04-21-2008, 10:32 PM
Since I've started promoting Stereo/Bass competitions in the New England area I've received a lot of questions as to what Bass Race is. Most people assume that since it's part of a competition that it means you have to have an expensive 10,000 watt system in order to be competitive, they couldn't be more wrong. Here's a basic outline as to how Bass race works.

With Bass Race there are four classes to compete in. The start with the 120.0-129.9 db class and go up to the 150.159.9 db class. With Bass Race there are two people competing against each other at the same time playing only music. It doesn't matter if it's music from your iPod or a cd you bought online, they just can't be burned cd's. The point is to find your class and stay in it, meaning that if your in the 120.0-129.9 class you want to keep your system as close to 129.9 without going over it. We start off with a qualifying round and have each person play their music as loud as they can to see which decibel class they'd fit into. Let's say you play your music and you see that your playing around 134 db's, this is good, but not good enough for the 130.0-139.9 class. In this case you'd turn your stereo down until your closer to 129 db's. Now later in the day we start the eliminations round where you go against someone else in your class. The meter starts keeping score as soon as the clock starts so you want to be ready, keeping the music on pause is the best option. Once you both start your run you want to keep your music playing as loud as you can, but you have to keep it under 129.9 by turning down the volume a click or two when you get close to going over. During eliminations rounds once you go over your class limits your out. This takes skill and thats where the competition gets fun and challenging. Someone with 500 watts can beat someone with 5,000 if they control their volume right. Unlike SPL comps where the more power the better your chances to win, Bass Race depends on skill not power or number of subs.

I happen to have a single 12" sub with 1500 watts and could compete in the 130.0-139.9 class, a friend of mine has a pair of 10" subs and competes in the 120.0-129.9 class, given this you can see that you don't need a huge system or a ton of power to be competitive.
Bass Race is the fastest growing competitive format and with the simple rules and basic systems needed it's one of the easiest for everyone to try. I post this in this group because there are a lot of people in car clubs and guys/ladies with show cars can compete in more than just a car show and take home another trophy to add to their collections, or get their first one to start a collection.

For more info you can check us out at New England SPL (http://www.myspace.com/nespl) and for the official rules page it can be found at Bass Race Rules (http://www.termpro.com/dbdrag/rules/index.asp?Page=3)

Hope to see some new faces out here this summer trying something different.

redrider13
04-21-2008, 10:33 PM
i dont think bass race is a new concept on CA.com

DB_DRAG_SPL
04-21-2008, 10:37 PM

X2

SPL Blazer
04-21-2008, 10:37 PM
Nah, not to everyone. But I've received about 5 pm's from various people on CA asking to know more about it. Not to mention some of the other forums I'm on. I posted the same thing on those too. I figured I'd post this in hopes of getting more people into Bass Race as well as SPL comps.

ohdub4
04-21-2008, 10:38 PM
thanks for the info, that actually helped me understand what a Bass race meant. I have a USB port in my head unit, so would I be able to play off of that considering my cd player will skip time to time when playing cd's??

ThomasG
04-21-2008, 10:40 PM
Huh the judge told me I had to bassrace with the CD he had. It was dbjams V. something.

btdickey99
04-21-2008, 10:43 PM

it isnt?????:rolleyes:

SPL Blazer
04-21-2008, 10:49 PM
Huh the judge told me I had to bassrace with the CD he had. It was dbjams V. something.

You only have to use the official cd for dB Drags, not for Bass Race. The judge running that show didn't know the rules.

ArrizX
04-21-2008, 10:51 PM
Helps me because I didnt really know what it was.

Always good to know i suppose, thanks

loudcartunez
04-22-2008, 01:03 AM
u can use burned cds

DUMPED
04-22-2008, 01:06 AM
u can use burned cds

correct ;)

loudcartunez
04-22-2008, 01:07 AM
correct ;)

lol was just lettin him no that cause he said u couldnt :D:D:D

DUMPED
04-22-2008, 01:10 AM
I kinda figured that..
a little help is always appreciated..

SPL Blazer
04-22-2008, 01:11 AM
u can use burned cds

this might be one of the rules that single point shows let slide, but according to the official Bass Race rules burned cd's are not allowed.

This is the quote directly from the rules:

Music Ė Find a commercially available music CD (no burned CDís, test tones, etc.) that contains a minimum of 30 seconds of bass. Each sound system is different so donít hesitate to experiment to find the song that works best for you.

DUMPED
04-22-2008, 01:13 AM
hey bro here is a link that you probably missed.

http://audioforum.termpro.com/topic/35/769.html

as you can see in POST #1 by Wayne himself they're allowed as of April 21, 2007

SPL Blazer
04-22-2008, 01:22 AM
hey bro here is a link that you probably missed.

http://audioforum.termpro.com/topic/35/769.html

as you can see in POST #1 by Wayne himself they're allowed as of April 21, 2007

Cool, I was going by whats listed in the rules section for 2008, funny that Wayne never updated this. It makes more sense to allow them. If you allow mp3 players it only makes sense to allow burned cd's. Wonder if he'll ever change this rule with Drags too or just allow them with Bass race.

DUMPED
04-22-2008, 01:30 AM
no problem..glad to help..
as for that option in dB Drag, it will never happen..you can be sure of that

SPL Blazer
04-22-2008, 01:35 AM
yeah, probably not. I guess it's a lot easier to cheat with burned tone cd's than music cd's.

bumpin buick
04-22-2008, 01:35 AM
I thought no ipod either but I guess I was wrong, i dont bass race though

DUMPED
04-22-2008, 01:38 AM
yeah, probably not. I guess it's a lot easier to cheat with burned tone cd's than music cd's.

not really about the cheating really..moreso about making sure that everyone is on an "equal" starting ground..lol

however a simpler way of putting it is another way to have the sale and requirement of a new dB Jams disk every year...either way it's all good..

DUMPED
04-22-2008, 01:39 AM
I thought no ipod either but I guess I was wrong, i dont bass race though

the only rule in bass race is that there are no rules..thats all...

dbman150
04-22-2008, 01:55 AM
wow thanks for the great info on the bass race i may try this this year

dbman150
04-22-2008, 02:04 AM
o and i think wayne changed the it back this year to no burnt cds

DUMPED
04-22-2008, 02:06 AM
o and i think wayne changed the it back this year to no burnt cds

nope not the case my man..

dbman150
04-22-2008, 02:14 AM
ill call sam tomarrow but i no i heard wayne talking about it at finals this year

DUMPED
04-22-2008, 02:21 AM
you can be assured that it's not the case, but make the call to Sam Horn..he'll confirm it as well. Another thing to take into account is that if that were the case then it would of already been passed and confirmed instead of letting half the season go by already and have competitions happened with people playing burnt CD's.

ravens9322
04-22-2008, 02:24 AM
I'm a complete newb to comps. this is sticky material

SPL Blazer
04-22-2008, 12:11 PM
I recall hearing someone talking about burned discs being illegal in comps because of the way they're burned. Something about using a tone generator and recording or burning at a higher bit rate or something. I don't know anything about burning discs on PC's, so I wasn't paying close attention to what they were saying. But it was said that doing this would give an unfair advantage to someone over a guy using an official drags disc.

JeepSound
04-22-2008, 12:17 PM
I'm a complete newb to comps. this is sticky material

X2, I know nothing about comps so this actually helped. Thanks.

audiobahnuser18
04-22-2008, 12:19 PM
you can use burnt cd's now mommyvan sent me a link where it said burnt cd's now allowed.

DUMPED
04-22-2008, 12:25 PM
you can use burnt cd's now mommyvan sent me a link where it said burnt cd's now allowed.

heres the link I posted in page one...again

http://audioforum.termpro.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=35;t=000769;p=0

it's all he said, she said..bottom line is they're allowed...

regardless the original post was a very informative one which should be of help to others