PDA

View Full Version : First One Note Wonder

soloXgt
04-20-2008, 11:44 PM
okay, her is what I got. 4.5 cubes tuned to 58.5hz. 100sq.in. of port area (9.84 inches deep). 11.4 db gain over arbitrary point set by program at 62hz (WinISD). this is my first time using a program like this and designing a box like this. hopefully this box will be **** *** loud, but only in a super narrow freq range....comments? suggestion?? sub is a treo ssx at @2200rms

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/babyjoker143522/62hzpic.jpg

soloXgt
04-20-2008, 11:49 PM
peaky as hell....hence one note wonder

galacticmonkey
04-21-2008, 12:04 AM
This is SPL... Not Computer Concepts.

Go build a box at a starting point. Is this a 15? 18? 12? Try a box thats a little smaller than you would go for a musical enclosure, put on some more port (try to get close to 16-18sq in per cu ft), and tune anywhere from 8-15hz below the resonant frequency.

Then go meter it. See what works, see what doesnt. It it looks like the box needs to be a little small, add some stuff in the box to take up room. If you think it needs to be tuned higher, make the port shorted.

A computer cant tell you whats going to be loud. Only way to know is to test.

Theres this guy I know who used to run extreme class with 4 18s... He was doin a 174 a while back. As he told me: SPL is a shot in the dark. Your guess is as good as mine. Just build it. If its not loud, build it again and make it louder. If its loud, build it again and make it even louder.

soloXgt
04-21-2008, 12:13 AM
thanks gmonk doesn't seem like a hard box to build. can always make it with a tunable port to see what works best.....

tommyk90
04-21-2008, 12:17 AM

Go build a box at a starting point. Is this a 15? 18? 12? Try a box thats a little smaller than you would go for a musical enclosure, put on some more port (try to get close to 16-18sq in per cu ft), and tune anywhere from 8-15hz below the resonant frequency.

Then go meter it. See what works, see what doesnt. It it looks like the box needs to be a little small, add some stuff in the box to take up room. If you think it needs to be tuned higher, make the port shorted.

Theres this guy I know who used to run extreme class with 4 18s... He was doin a 174 a while back. As he told me: SPL is a shot in the dark. Your guess is as good as mine. Just build it. If its not loud, build it again and make it louder. If its loud, build it again and make it even louder.

Going to have to agree here.

I've never used a box program to design an SPL enclosure. It all comes down to just building and testing. If SPL was as easy as punching in a few numbers in a program and building a box, then everyone would be loud. :)

J31Rob
04-21-2008, 12:19 AM
Going to have to agree here.

I've never used a box program to design an SPL enclosure. It all comes down to just building and testing. If SPL was as easy as punching in a few numbers in a program and building a box, then everyone would be loud. :)

:p:

18inchjeepin
04-21-2008, 12:25 AM
spl is a freakin shot in the dark, I have a box tuned to 49 but it peaks @ 44hz
I retuned the ports to 40 hz, and it beaked at 43 hz, it has baffled me and jerry

soloXgt
04-21-2008, 12:35 AM
solid. to the basement i go this week to throw this thing together and see whats up. let u know what happens...

IDSkoT
04-21-2008, 07:32 AM

:wow:
pictures or :ban:

peas247
04-21-2008, 04:19 PM
you know where to go to get it meterd :D