PDA

View Full Version : Ported Fi Q box... [PIX LOL]

IDSkoT
04-20-2008, 02:56 AM
Since I know all you guys care about are the pix...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/TwistedShot/Sub%20Box%20and%20Amp%20Rack/FiQBox-1.jpg

It's 2.48ft^3 tuned to 32.

Two 2-1/2" Aeroports [9-1/4" long] & double baffled.

Now... I have to figure out a way to construct this inside my trunk since my opening isn't big enough.

I was thinking: Cut the wood, do the DB + Port holes. The only problem is, as you might be able to see, I designed the box so that the first baffle actually sits inside inbetween the other 4 edges. So that the edges of the top, bottom, and sides surround it. So, I'd do the DB, port holes, and the bottom piece, then manage to get it in, and put the other pieces on.
My only beef is getting them at perfect 90 degrees. I was thinking a nice mix of clamps and 90 degree angle tools. [My Dad has one... I need more, obviously]
Any ideas on how I can make this 90 degrees perfectly? Obviously a good cut would help. But, the problem is, as of now I don't have a table saw... so, I'd be working with a circular saw [probably... maybe I can get one by then]

But... would that work well?

Another problem is carpeting... I'd like to carpet it. But that's impossible if I have to build it inside my trunk. BTW-- the height is gunna go perfectly with the height of my trunk. So I can't just lift it up and slide it under and all of that jab.

:confused: help?

EDIT 4 IMG

bigbang
04-20-2008, 07:34 AM
I would try to build the box in two pieces. Esentially each piece would be three sides built solidly in the comfort of your garage. The two pieces could be carpeted and finished, and then when you join the two pieces inside the trunk, design it so that you can screw them together from the opening of the woofer and apply caulk to the internal seams.

sandbags
04-20-2008, 07:45 AM
use a miter saw and cut a 2x4 at a 45 degree angle

mlstrass
04-20-2008, 08:05 AM
Build it a little shorter so it'll slide right in...

tez4life
04-20-2008, 03:46 PM
I had a quick question, why tune the Q so high?

SPY
04-20-2008, 03:52 PM
Assemble the box in your garage, but don't glue it together. Just assemble it, clamp and predrill all your screw holes. The when you do the final assembly in your trunk all you have to do is line up the screw holes and it should go together with ease.

IDSkoT
04-20-2008, 05:11 PM
use a miter saw and cut a 2x4 at a 45 degree angle

Wow... good call sandbags! Never would've thought of that.

Build it a little shorter so it'll slide right in...

I have a '98 Mustang, the trunk opening is pathetic. Diagonally from the lowest part to the highest part it's 15" =| So even if I did make it shorter, it couldn't slide in... not to mention the sideways opening of the smallest part of my trunk is 16". It's in this weird bowl-cut out type shape. It's such a bad trunk design, honestly. The only way it'd slide in is if it was like a 1cuft box... and even then I'd have to struggle probably.

I had a quick question, why tune the Q so high?

idk, SQ?

Assemble the box in your garage, but don't glue it together. Just assemble it, clamp and predrill all your screw holes. The when you do the final assembly in your trunk all you have to do is line up the screw holes and it should go together with ease.

Sounds like a good idea...
Except, why not glue it?
And it's built specifically to fit snug in my trunk. The height is 15", and the height of my trunk is 15" heigh at the lowest point. Therefore I couldn't screw in the top / bottom.

I wanted to put the DB + Port + Bottom on one, and put it in, then put on the sides VIA some sort of 90 degree angled support + books or something of the sort. Then the back the same way, and on the top put on as much weight as I could fit in.

tez4life
04-20-2008, 05:39 PM
The man reason I asked is that the Q is a SQ sub with a major low end. I would suggest dropping the tuning to 32hz to get a much better sound out of it, but thats my opinion.

IDSkoT
04-20-2008, 06:02 PM
The man reason I asked is that the Q is a SQ sub with a major low end. I would suggest dropping the tuning to 32hz to get a much better sound out of it, but thats my opinion.

Hmm. True. The website says 28-33, I don't know why I went to 38. :confused:

Standby

IDSkoT
04-20-2008, 06:18 PM
Updated.