PDA

View Full Version : First SPL Competition

BuckyBoy
04-20-2008, 12:50 AM
I metered a 139.1 on music today. It was good enough to win Rookie Class 1. It was my first competition ever, and I was in a rush. The box was finished at 5:30 and the registration for the competition ended at 6. I just wired the sub up and went straight to the competition.

Anyways, here are all the details...
Eclipse SW7200 12"
Kicker KX550.3, rated at 500@2ohms
Box is 2.5ft^3@32Hz Link to box design...
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg294/SMCustomz/mybox.jpg
The song was D4L-I'm Da Man
Any suggestions for songs?

I want to try playing tones for a future competition. I was going to build a box 2.5ft^3 @ 40Hz. What test tone would you suggest for that?

Ed Lester
04-21-2008, 04:36 PM
congrats and good job

SethPhillips
04-21-2008, 04:39 PM
I metered a 139.1 on music today. It was good enough to win Rookie Class 1. It was my first competition ever, and I was in a rush. The box was finished at 5:30 and the registration for the competition ended at 6. I just wired the sub up and went straight to the competition.

Anyways, here are all the details...
Eclipse SW7200 12"
Kicker KX550.3, rated at 500@2ohms
Box is 2.5ft^3@32Hz Link to box design...
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg294/SMCustomz/mybox.jpg
The song was D4L-I'm Da Man
Any suggestions for songs?

I want to try playing tones for a future competition. I was going to build a box 2.5ft^3 @ 40Hz. What test tone would you suggest for that?

usually at comp's they will put the meter in ur car, let you run a sweep, and get ur peak frequency, then run a test tone at the freq.

Team H&K
04-21-2008, 04:40 PM
Test tone will all depend on te vehicle, you need to try and find a meter and do some sweeps. That my best suggestion on that, also congrats on the comp!

btdickey99
04-21-2008, 04:44 PM
usually at comp's they will put the meter in ur car, let you run a sweep, and get ur peak frequency, then run a test tone at the freq.

I wish my local comps would let me do this:crap:

Ed Lester
Oh, what organization?

btdickey99
btw buckyboy great job n first comp....do you have any pics of setup?

J3M Concepts
04-21-2008, 04:45 PM
if you plan on competing much it would be a good idea to order a tl meter. that is the most commonly used meter or an ac 190.

blackbonnie
04-21-2008, 04:47 PM
congrats

BuckyBoy
04-21-2008, 05:26 PM
So, at the next competition I should ask them to run a sweep?
Then, when they tell me my peak frequency, I need to find a test tone of that frequency and use it for competitions?
Easy enough.

btw buckyboy great job n first comp....do you have any pics of setup?
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg294/SMCustomz/103_0531.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg294/SMCustomz/103_0532.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg294/SMCustomz/103_0533.jpg

The box was finished at 5:30. The registration for the competition ended at 6. We barely made it.

There was a green Ford Ranger at the show that did a 160.7 Outlaw and I believe a 157.something legal. He had 6 DD 12s. He was the highest.

BuckyBoy
04-24-2008, 12:34 AM
Bump.
Can someone explain "sweep" a bit better. Does it simply run a range of tones and determine the loudest?
I have no idea, but say my peak frequency is 42Hz, then what should I tune the box at?

hunterw
04-24-2008, 12:38 AM
a sweep is a track that plays from like 100hz down to 20hz, and witha termlab, it will show what frequency you peaked at...

btdickey99
04-24-2008, 12:41 AM
nice setup buckyboy...I just love eclipse subs.....I hate that there will be no more:(

BuckyBoy
04-24-2008, 12:45 AM
a sweep is a track that plays from like 100hz down to 20hz, and witha termlab, it will show what frequency you peaked at...
That's what I thought. Now, I just gotta find someone with a Termlab to help me out.

Anybody got an answer for the second part of my question? What tuning should I go with based on my peak frequency? -10? +10? Or is that something I will have to mess around with and figure out what works best?

BuckyBoy
04-24-2008, 12:48 AM
nice setup buckyboy...I just love eclipse subs.....I hate that there will be no more:(
Thanks. I have never heard of Eclipse audio until I decided to upgrade my system. I have one of their headunits as well, even tho it isn't one of the high end I still love it. And the sub definitely surprised me. Great quality and still puts out some bass in my hatchback.
I will have to get more pictures once I get my car cleaned, but like I said this box was finished right before the show so I had no time.

hunterw
04-24-2008, 12:48 AM
hard to say. but usually 6-8 lower then the peak freq. well thas how i play it. there may be a better way

btdickey99
04-24-2008, 12:50 AM
That's what I thought. Now, I just gotta find someone with a Termlab to help me out.

Anybody got an answer for the second part of my question? What tuning should I go with based on my peak frequency? -10? +10? Or is that something I will have to mess around with and figure out what works best?

I would do it 2-3 db off what your car peaks at...unless of course your peaking at something high and still want the box to be used as a dd

hunterw
what kind of car is it btw? and you kind answered your own question lol. box is tuned to 32, peak was at 42...

thehardknoxlife
If your an all out SPList....get rid of the carpet.......

jnralp00
04-24-2008, 12:51 AM
You would actually want to put your sub in a sealed box to find the peak frequency of your car, and go from there. And start tuning from there. If you want to do it right anyways...

BuckyBoy
04-24-2008, 12:54 AM
I would do it 2-3 db off what your car peaks at...unless of course your peaking at something high and still want the box to be used as a dd
I'm going to use the box in the pictures for my daily driver box and a higher tuned box for competitions if my peak frequency is high.

what kind of car is it btw? and you kind answered your own question lol. box is tuned to 32, peak was at 42...
2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT
The 42 was just throwing a number out as an example. I haven't had a sweep done yet.

If your an all out SPList....get rid of the carpet.......
Why do you say that? The box in my pictures will be my daily driver box tho, but for a comp box I will go bare box if there is actually a reason to. Never heard of that tho.

BuckyBoy
04-24-2008, 12:55 AM
You would actually want to put your sub in a sealed box to find the peak frequency of your car, and go from there. And start tuning from there. If you want to do it right anyways...
haha didn't know that either, but I do want to do it right. If I can find someone to do the sweep for me before the next competition then I will throw together a sealed box for it. Thanks

hunterw
04-24-2008, 12:58 AM
ahhh i see. i think it would be louder on the meter with the sub and port firing forward....

carpet hurts spl scores. id do a lot mot to thazt box if it was spl, bigger port, 45 the corners,resin it, double up all the sides, basically make it as rigid and as fast as possible if that make sense... there are a lot of things to find out through mutiple box builds. if your into it all crazy like lol. bolting the box down helps too, and having it fit completely snug from wheel well to wheel well

btdickey99
04-24-2008, 01:03 AM
ahhh i see. i think it would be louder on the meter with the sub and port firing forward....

carpet hurts spl scores. id do a lot mot to thazt box if it was spl, bigger port, 45 the corners,resin it, double up all the sides, basically make it as rigid and as fast as possible if that make sense... there are a lot of things to find out through mutiple box builds. if your into it all crazy like lol. bolting the box down helps too, and having it fit completely snug from wheel well to wheel well

I strongly disagree with that unless it was totally sealed off...I think either sub up port up, or sub back port back

And as far as the carpet thing....thats news to me?

how do you figure?

BuckyBoy
04-24-2008, 01:04 AM

The front is doubled. 45s in every corner. I won't be carpet on my competition box.
What kind of port area you thinking? That box is 2.5ft^3 and has 31.25 square inches. Bump it up to around 40?
I doubt I will resin it, but I might. I seal them up really well. I will also design the comp box to fit wheel well to wheel well.
Thanks for all the advice keep it coming.
What you guys think I can meter if I do all this with a test tone at peak freq? The winner from the last competition in Street One was 146 something.

BuckyBoy
04-24-2008, 01:07 AM
I strongly disagree with that unless it was totally sealed off...I think either sub up port up, or sub back port back

how do you figure?
I was thinking sub up port back as well, but I tried to design a box like that last time and just couldn't get it how I wanted with my hatch dimensions.

jnralp00
04-24-2008, 01:08 AM

how do you figure?

^^ X2.. Actually in a hatch like yours, could do better off axis, firing up. Hard to say though just have to try.

hunterw
04-24-2008, 01:09 AM
well in most small odd hatches that i have played with there was a 2db gain by firing the ports and subs forward........tibs,cougars, etc.

as far as the carpet, i dont know why exactly it just does...think of spl like the continuim transfunctioner.....

btdickey99
04-24-2008, 01:09 AM
yea unless you completely seal the cabin off, I think its a bad idea for sub and port forward

hunterw
04-24-2008, 01:10 AM
you just have to test. test and test a lot more.

thehardknoxlife
04-24-2008, 01:15 AM

how do you figure?

I''m no SPList but I know sound waves bounce off flat surfaces. If there is carpet on the surface that absorbs some of the waves then I would think it will hinder a few tenths on the meter.

btdickey99
04-24-2008, 01:17 AM
I''m no SPList but I know sound waves bounce off flat surfaces. If there is carpet on the surface that adsorbs some of the waves then I would think it will hinder a few tenths on the meter.

thats what I figured is maybe it will "absorb" some of the sound waves, but 10ths as you said would be the most that I think would affect it

thehardknoxlife
04-24-2008, 01:19 AM
thats what I figured is maybe it will "absorb" some of the sound waves, but 10ths as you said would be the most that I think would affect it
Who knows, test and find out, but I know carpet won't help your score at all. Every little bit helps.

hunterw
04-24-2008, 01:19 AM
yes t only tenths but can make a huge difference down the line, with a few more tricks tenths are a full dbs

hunterw
04-24-2008, 01:20 AM
but like i said you just have to test, and make sure you can hold good voltage. tose are the key ingredients, and a great box design

jco1385
04-24-2008, 12:40 PM
ON TOPIC QUESTION

just not related to the rest of the thread...

i'm gonna be in my first comp on sunday. question is, in a trunk car is it louder with sub forward, port forward with rear fold down seats, or should i leave it facing the rear?

obviously i want it as loud as possible. box will be at 30hz. alpine type x 12"

BuckyBoy
04-24-2008, 03:31 PM
ON TOPIC QUESTION

just not related to the rest of the thread...

i'm gonna be in my first comp on sunday. question is, in a trunk car is it louder with sub forward, port forward with rear fold down seats, or should i leave it facing the rear?

obviously i want it as loud as possible. box will be at 30hz. alpine type x 12"
I would say, sub and port forward with rear seats down. Don't have any experience with it though.

jco1385
04-24-2008, 04:27 PM
I would say, sub and port forward with rear seats down. Don't have any experience with it though.

i'm assuming the same. with my seat up (closed) and sup/port rear it's loud. but when i fold the seat down there is a quite noticeable difference. i'll give it a go and see what happens

teedot231999
05-21-2008, 02:10 AM
I am glad I read this there is a lot of good info. Please forgive me I am not trying to thread jack but I need help and this thread is addressing the same issues I have and some. In july there is a car show and sound competition called Sound Clash and I would like to compete in this competition.. I drive a 94 chevy caprice and I will be running three DD3515 with the C motors.This will be my first competition unless I do one or two before this one which I should just to get a feel of what to do because I have never Burped a sub before or real competed in a sanction event like this. Anway This competition is broken down into three parts from what I was told,1.SPL 2. SQ 3.Street bass. My first question is should I add another DD sub? What type of enclosure should I use? Are fiberglass enclosures suitable for competion? My Subs watts rms is 1200 my amp pushes about 1400 watts per sub should I go higher than that? I plan to use an air ride setup in my car will the tank and compressor interfear with my bass output? How much does sound deadener play apart in my sound? If I were to spay second skins or cascade liquid deadener first in the car first then put dynamat extreme over the dried liquid deadener would that be to much deadener? Will lose or gain db's by doing it that way?
My most important quesstion is how do you burp subs?
Thanks

snoopdan
05-21-2008, 02:15 AM
I am glad I read this there is a lot of good info. Please forgive me I am not trying to thread jack but I need help and this thread is addressing the same issues I have and some. In july there is a car show and sound competition called Sound Clash and I would like to compete in this competition.. I drive a 94 chevy caprice and I will be running three DD3515 with the C motors.This will be my first competition unless I do one or two before this one which I should just to get a feel of what to do because I have never Burped a sub before or real competed in a sanction event like this. Anway This competition is broken down into three parts from what I was told,1.SPL 2. SQ 3.Street bass. My first question is should I add another DD sub? What type of enclosure should I use? Are fiberglass enclosures suitable for competion? My Subs watts rms is 1200 my amp pushes about 1400 watts per sub should I go higher than that? I plan to use an air ride setup in my car will the tank and compressor interfear with my bass output? How much does sound deadener play apart in my sound? If I were to spay second skins or cascade liquid deadener first in the car first then put dynamat extreme over the dried liquid deadener would that be to much deadener? Will lose or gain db's by doing it that way?
My most important quesstion is how do you burp subs?
Thanks

Lol dude, you either need to read up on alot of SPL build threads for basic design info, or find someone in your area that is a professional competitor to help you in your pursuit. Otherwise if you go to shops for help they'll rob you blind, and if you go to a comp without knowing what you're doing you might as well throw away your money and time somewhere else.

teedot231999
05-21-2008, 03:27 AM
Lol dude, you either need to read up on alot of SPL build threads for basic design info, or find someone in your area that is a professional competitor to help you in your pursuit. Otherwise if you go to shops for help they'll rob you blind, and if you go to a comp without knowing what you're doing you might as well throw away your money and time somewhere else.

I don't want to compete professionaly I just want to do the Sound Clash competitom for fun. I really want to do just the street bass part. There are a few guys in my area that have cars like mine and they talk mad s*** about how there system is the loudest since we all will be at Sound Clash we could settle it there in the street bass competition.