PDA

View Full Version : Port Placements Question *sketchup inside*

Bake
04-19-2008, 08:03 PM
This is an enclosure that I have been working up for my regular cab truck. Rather place the port on the end of the box I have it placed toward the center of the enclosure. I did this so that it wasn't blowing on the seatbelt to reduce the possibility of noise there. Also, placing it here will allow it to pretty much fire underneath the seat. Will the port be ok were it is or will the odd shape of the enclosure and port placement possibly cause issues? What do you think? Thanks for any input.

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/1179/chevyrcwebpi1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

maldecido33
04-19-2008, 08:21 PM
There are certainly more ideal configurations, but so long as you properly allow for the odd shape of the port when calculating your tuning frequency, you shouldn't have a problem.

Bake
04-19-2008, 08:59 PM
Haha, yeah I know it isn't ideal but I did the calculations on the port and it comes in where it should. Cramming a Boston G5 10" sub and a six channel PPI behind the seat proved to be quite a challenge. Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

DBfan187
04-19-2008, 09:01 PM
why not areo's?

Bake
04-19-2008, 09:11 PM
Would an areo be better than building a slot in this situation?

DBfan187
04-19-2008, 09:27 PM
yeah, 1 4" should be fine.

Bake
04-19-2008, 09:37 PM
Boston actually suggest a three inch round port. Can I get a three inch areo or do you think a four inch would be better? If so, why? I don't really know anything about areos. I've seen them mentioned but never really paid attention to the how or why they are used.

Edit: The reason I was thinking of using a thinner slot port is because there is more room down there. More unimpeded space in front of the box and it would kinda fire under the seat there, if that matters at all compared to a four inch areo?

PV Audio
04-20-2008, 02:06 AM
Boston actually suggest a three inch round port. Can I get a three inch areo or do you think a four inch would be better? If so, why? I don't really know anything about areos. I've seen them mentioned but never really paid attention to the how or why they are used.

Edit: The reason I was thinking of using a thinner slot port is because there is more room down there. More unimpeded space in front of the box and it would kinda fire under the seat there, if that matters at all compared to a four inch areo?The slot port will be less efficient because of the air compression. Regardless of what people might tell you, a 3x3" port is almost always more efficient than a 1x9" port. The port area itself is only 70% of the issue; the dimensions/ratio is important as well.