PDA

View Full Version : image dynamics ctx65cs comps

02xblazer
04-15-2008, 12:30 PM
has anyone ran these? found them for $130 before shipping.. my budget keeps getting smaller and smaller and the factory speakers arent cutting it. what are some good comps for 150 or less? need to have good midbass

2wheeler
04-17-2008, 09:09 AM
I've been wanting to know the same thing...

ctmike
04-17-2008, 09:14 AM
id comps. are very nice and imo hard to beat in thier price range.

dftnz7
04-18-2008, 02:12 AM
I just installed a set of these in my truck last night and was waiting to do a full review after I had some time to get a good feel for them. I yanked the RSDs and threw these in last night and got a couple good hours of listening on them today, but obviously they are far from broke in. I have 150wrms slapped on them and they handle it no sweat.

Definitely more efficient than the RSDs, had to turn the gains down from where they were. The midrange is very detailed, yet more mellow than the RSDs--the vocals aren't as overpowering/harsh as the RSDs in my install. Very balanced is how I would put it. You dont feel the need to tune everything so much and make cuts/boosts up and down the line. I am running my settings dead flat right now and they sound great. Not wanting to push too much lower bass material to them until they break in more. The midbass on them is fantastic though. Eric Stevens the ID rep and I discussed this at length and he felt the midbass/range was the strongest selling point of this kit, and had a lot of value given their price point. They put a ton of time and research into them just like their other sets--the reason they are cheaper is they are Chinese bult, unlike the others. The built on mine appeared to be superb though.

I like the tweeter about the same as RSDs. Not picking up much difference at all in that regard. One thing I would give the RSDs the nod for right now is that they seem to be able to handle more <70hz material at higher volumes than the IDs do. But again the RSDs were fully broken in and the IDs have about 2 hours of play on them. The ID has a beefier looking/feeling mid, and the tweeter/tweeter mount is more cosmetically attractive than the RSDs.

I would certainly recommend them to anyone looking for a set in this price range. One thing about it is that being IDs they will have great resale value if you ever decide to sell them. If you want a lot cheaper set that really impressed me, check out the Cadence CWM6 set, it has been getting some good reviews, and knocked my socks off when I put them in a friend's truck the other night. They are $75 shipped. The IDs are better, but probably not $100 better. I bought mine authorized from woofersetc.com for $179 shipped. For $130+ shipping, go for it. Just make sure you got enough power to wake them up.

2wheeler
04-18-2008, 10:16 AM
dftnz7, (or anyone else with experience on the ctx comps), do you think that 75w a side is enough to get these moving well? I'm thinking of running a set of the ctx comps with an ID12V3 sub in my truck..

Thanks for the review

dftnz7
04-19-2008, 01:10 AM
I think 75w would probably work okay...but from the range given on the box they came in, they definitely look like they want you to throw a bit more at them to really wake up the midbass. Mine seem to sound a lot richer/fuller the more I crank the old deafness knob. If I had the capability of trying them at that wattage I would and then let you know, but there is no way for me to do it the way I am set up. They are pretty efficient though, both in ratings and in actual use. I think you would be better off with something like these with 75w than the RSDs...took a lot of juice to make them go IMO.

reed dollaz
04-19-2008, 01:13 AM
Eclipse has some of the best sounding components ive heard. Memphis M-Class, PG RSD, Rainbow gern's. Get any of the following, and if you still need more midbass get some M Seried CDT 6's

2wheeler
04-21-2008, 04:20 PM
Any opinions on the ID ctx comps vs. Boston Acoustics SL60s? I've got a set of the Bostons in my other truck that I really like but I'm thinking of the IDs for the new truck.

WKD TC
04-21-2008, 07:58 PM
Avi Direct BB tend to give pretty good midbass and youll be spending around $150 per set and very power efficient a small 4ch would do the job

w00tah
04-21-2008, 09:14 PM
I'm pretty sure that he's asking about the ID CTX comps, not the AVI, Cadence, etc.

Way to add relevant information to this thread.

Kef

WKD TC
04-21-2008, 09:23 PM
i know but the avi is a way better speaker than image

tcguy85
04-21-2008, 09:33 PM
who the hell is avi?

king ranch
04-21-2008, 09:37 PM
lol this guy came out of nowhere and started saying avi

tcguy85
04-21-2008, 09:38 PM
lol this guy came out of nowhere and started saying avi

and hertz. he posted in every thread in this section about either avi or hertz.

2wheeler
04-21-2008, 11:30 PM
Avi Direct BB tend to give pretty good midbass and youll be spending around $150 per set and very power efficient a small 4ch would do the job

OK, how about a link, a pic, some specs..

If you're going off topic at least be informative.

WKD TC
04-22-2008, 12:22 AM
obviously people in this site cant do their research and look for actually good speakers. PG, infinity, kicker,jbl, etc. are all garbage brands go to iasca competitions and all of you will actually see the real thing. also i dont know where half of these guys get there specs half of you have no idea of what youre talking about claiming certain numbers to certain things that dont even exist

2wheeler
04-22-2008, 01:02 PM
obviously people in this site cant do their research and look for actually good speakers. PG, infinity, kicker,jbl, etc. are all garbage brands go to iasca competitions and all of you will actually see the real thing. also i dont know where half of these guys get there specs half of you have no idea of what youre talking about claiming certain numbers to certain things that dont even exist

All I was asking for is a link to the speakers that you suggested. Why the anger?

I'm just looking for actually good speakers...

tcguy85
04-22-2008, 07:32 PM

it's all in the install and hands of the tuner. with enough power and processing you can make almost any set of speakers sound good.

PG and Kicker are not garbage brands. i run PG speakers and they sound amazing, and i have run Kicker amps and they were great. you really need to stop being so closed minded.

SHOemup233
04-22-2008, 07:49 PM

I'd love to know how many of these brands you have actually heard first hand in good installs. I was under the impression that the ID comps in question were pretty nice for the price, along with the RSD's. But word from God is, they are complete garbage compared to AVI. :rolleyes:

SHOemup233
04-22-2008, 07:55 PM

And I did just go to the IASCA website. I had a hard time finding many people setups. But I did find just the 2007 SQ finals results. I saw many running all JBL. Saw a lot of Hybrid audio, Dynaudio....but no AVI. I thought JBL was crap. I should let all those SQ winners know that they are running garbage.

tcguy85
04-22-2008, 07:58 PM
jbl used to be and might still be (not to sure) very very heavily into SQ comps. they have done very well for them selves. also PG used to be a huge name, they kinda faded away but seem to be coming back very strongly as of late.

SHOemup233
04-22-2008, 08:02 PM
jbl used to be and might still be (not to sure) very very heavily into SQ comps. they have done very well for them selves. also PG used to be a huge name, they kinda faded away but seem to be coming back very strongly as of late.

Yeah I have never looked at the SQ comps before. But I was told to "do research" on the real brands! Obvious sarcasm in my posts. ha.