View Full Version : Overly bright tweets

I6pwr
04-14-2008, 04:47 PM
The system includes for the fronts:

Alpine CDA-9851
Memphis 15-MSYNC6 components
Alpine MRP-F450
Alpine ERA-G320 EQ

All the wiring is in correct polarity, no whine, but even with the EQ flat, the highs just seem very overly bright.

I have tried the tweets out of phase to no avail.

BBE is off on EQ, HU is in DEFEAT MODE, amp gain is just below nom setting..maybe 11o'clock position.

Mids sound great, but it seems there is a gap between about 2K to about 10K. The sound is there, I can adjust the EQ in that range but just seems like there is an overy tinny sound and not natural highs....almost like i'm sitting 2' from my home speaker in which case I theoretically am but I haven't heard it like this in car audio before.

Just hooked up the amps and was trying to get a good eq setting but maybe it's the nature of the tweets after I put power to them...dunno any ideas.

dragnix
04-14-2008, 04:48 PM
xover settings are off on the amps perhap?

I6pwr
04-14-2008, 04:49 PM
xover settings are off on the amps perhap?

X-over used is the Memphis that came with the kit. I have the X-over on the amp in the OFF position.

I6pwr
04-14-2008, 04:54 PM
Specs on the X-over are:

High-pass/slope 5K-18
Low-pass/slope 4K-12

I would like to cross the highs down around 2K but not sure if they can take it...I assume they can.

Feel free to recommend an aftermarket X-over, passive is fine...not much room for an active but worst case I can make it work.

I6pwr
04-14-2008, 11:46 PM
I adjusted some more and it sounds much better, just hard to go by the x-over freq's on the amp...

If I go with an active X-over, I assume to install after the EQ brain? Been awhile since i've been playin with car stereo's, alot sure has changed since the Coustic XM-7 and the Power-Logic amps :D

mokedaddy
04-14-2008, 11:49 PM
Those tweets can be a little bright imo, but you have an eq so just turn them down :)

Yes install the crossover after the x-over. And the xm-7 is still a great crossover for the money.

mokedaddy
04-14-2008, 11:51 PM
I would not run them down to 2k. But if you go active that opens up a whole new door for tweeters. :D

PaulD
04-15-2008, 11:01 AM
where are the tweeters physically located/installed ? High in the door, on the dash or in the a-pillars will often give you lots of reflections you have to tame.

I6pwr
04-15-2008, 12:16 PM
where are the tweeters physically located/installed ? High in the door, on the dash or in the a-pillars will often give you lots of reflections you have to tame.

Mk4 Jetta.....A-pillars and the mids are pretty low in the door. Door is matted but I would really like an enclosure for the mid...it plays down to 60 very well but I know i'm losing a ton of air through the swiss cheese door.

While on topic...has anyone successfully built a small enclosure for the front mids? There is alot of room in there, I had to space the speaker out about 1.5" to get near the grill.

Before the matting:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a180/gtofan1/edit387900035435410.jpg

ramdaspadhye
04-15-2008, 01:10 PM
What mid is that? Looks nice.

*edit* didn't read all the first post, sorry. How do they sound?

I6pwr
04-15-2008, 02:26 PM
They sound very good, played with the x-over looking for some distortion and it sounded a bit like a plastic bucket crossed at around 70-80 Hz...prob cuz of the enclosure but they really cleaned up around 55-60Hz, and hit pretty hard.