PDA

View Full Version : HPF Setting

TheAftermath
04-13-2008, 07:51 PM
The High pass filter on my head unit can be adjusted (80 Hz, 120 Hz, 160 Hz, etc.)

If I am listening to music in my car fairly loud to a song that has a lot of bass, the sound becomes very distorted and there is a lot of clipping. This usually happens when my volume is at around 20 on the HU. If there is absolutely no low frequency sounds, then i can turn the volume up as loud as the head unit goes (35).

I have a 12" sub in my trunk and that provides a lot of bass. I really have no idea what the High Pass Filter does. I'm assuming that the setting, when activated, disallows very low frequency's to be played from the speakers. If that is true, can i set the HPF to somewhere around 100 Hz and then be able to play music at higher volumes without the distortion and without the risk of losing a lot of bass?

dman4486
04-13-2008, 07:53 PM
The High pass filter on my head unit can be adjusted (80 Hz, 120 Hz, 160 Hz, etc.)

If I am listening to music in my car fairly loud to a song that has a lot of bass, the sound becomes very distorted and there is a lot of clipping. This usually happens when my volume is at around 20 on the HU. If there is absolutely no low frequency sounds, then i can turn the volume up as loud as the head unit goes (35).

I have a 12" sub in my trunk and that provides a lot of bass. I really have no idea what the High Pass Filter does. I'm assuming that the setting, when activated, disallows very low frequency's to be played from the speakers. If that is true, can i set the HPF to somewhere around 100 Hz and then be able to play music at higher volumes without the distortion and without the risk of losing a lot of bass?

high pass filter does exactly that....allows the high frequencies to pass!!

it should be set based on what speakers you have.....80 for good 6.5"s 100+ for 5.25" 120 for 4"....etc

liftedcj7on44s
04-13-2008, 07:56 PM
i have mine set to 125 i believe and the only song that comes through is woofercooker and it sounds like ****. the rest are jam up jelly tight

TheAftermath
04-13-2008, 07:59 PM
Alright thanks guys. I'll definitely mess around with those settings and see where it'll sound best.