PDA

View Full Version : Completely lost anymore HU Upgrade

fox_forma
04-11-2008, 11:27 PM
I have been wanting to add a new HU to my truck for some time now but keep putting off. I decided to pull the trigger and I picked up an Alpine CDA 9886 the other day. I figured it was a decent choice considering the ipod function, blue tooth, and the price for the most part. Now I am having second thoughts of even going ahead and installing it.

It will be going into my 2003 Silverado SS which is BOSE equipped and has XM. After finding out that half my harnesses and adapters I need will basically cost more than the HU itself I am considering backing out of this. I am only trying to get a cleaner and clearer sound out of my stock speakers and my subs I have becuase the LOC I have for the stock unit isn't cutting it for the subs at all.

So I now need a harness for the BOSE: $60-$100, Steering wheel and chimes one: $75ish, and if I want to keep my XM thats another $125. Now I am pretty much at a $600 set-up for a $300 HU and all I am looking for is a minor upgrade.

Are there any other choices out there for HU's that you would recommend other than the alpine, and are any of them XM ready where you don't have to buy a $125 set-up just to use your current XM you already have? I mainly want something that will clean up all my speakers and be ipod, usb and XM ready/capable. Bluetooth is a plus as well. Just so confused anymore on if I should even bother with this install.

Beat_Dominator
04-11-2008, 11:33 PM
I hate it when that happens. That's where the manufacturers make all of their money... the little extrap crap they charge out the *** for.

blazeplacid
04-12-2008, 02:33 PM
you can get a rockford 360 and keep your headunit

you will get ipod sound though the radio but will have to control it though thr ipod

if i remember right the 3sixty is 399.99

blazeplacid
04-12-2008, 02:34 PM
oh btw you have to have a blue tooth phone or laptop to run the 3sixty

fox_forma
04-12-2008, 02:47 PM
I have a buddy who have an ipod kit that wires into our stock HU but I was hoping to add a few more functions by changing it out. I ended up just returning all the stuff for now. With all the harness and adapters I need for my truck I couldnt justify close to a $600 tag just to keep what I already have and add a few small things for the most part. We'll see what happens but for now I'm not bothering with a new deck unless I get all the harnesses for a very good price.