PDA

View Full Version : enclosure that hides the subs.

HungNeckTight
04-10-2008, 10:23 PM
any one have a set up where it just looks like a box in your trunk. i want this for a couple reasons. one would be that no one could steal the subs if they are not exposed. another is most of my friends are dumb and just throw there skateboards in the trunk or backpacks. one of my old subs got cracked becasue of this but i dident care much because i payed $50 for them. well now i have nice subs i want to protect. so can any one help me out.

goonandbuck
04-10-2008, 10:24 PM
downfiring box

hemi=22s
04-10-2008, 10:24 PM
bandpass though not all subs compatible

Mr. Belding
04-10-2008, 10:27 PM
dual acoustic suspension bandpass would hide them quite well :cool:

SRim23
04-10-2008, 10:29 PM
downfiring box

dont mean to thread jack but how much clearance should you have from the sub and the floor?

guess its not really a thread jack since its probably something he would need to know.

Mr. Belding
04-10-2008, 10:31 PM
dont mean to thread jack but how much clearance should you have from the sub and the floor?

guess its not really a thread jack since its probably something he would need to know.

depends on the subs... just need more space than you have outward excursion :)

Worlddre
04-10-2008, 10:33 PM
what thief would really take the time to unscrew and remove the subs....?

SRim23
04-10-2008, 10:33 PM
depends on the subs... just need more space than you have outward excursion :)

so basically as long as the sub isnt hitting the floor ur good. would sound change with different clearances or is it a case of different applications may have different effects?

SRim23
04-10-2008, 10:35 PM
what thief would really take the time to unscrew and remove the subs....?

i think hes mostly trying to prevent damage. not so much as the thief taking the time to unscrew them but maybe if he doesnt see them he wont notice they are there?

BrianChia
04-10-2008, 10:36 PM
Too close can have an effect similar to raising enclosure Q. Like a too small sealed box. It can sound a little more boomy and may peak output and also increase mechanical power handling but also negatively affect sound quality and affect low end output. Personally I would angle the subs downward (and slightly outward) instead of firing them straight into the floor.

Mr. Belding
04-10-2008, 10:36 PM
so basically as long as the sub isnt hitting the floor ur good. would sound change with different clearances or is it a case of different applications may have different effects?

output could be affected, but sound really shouldnt change much if at all. i probably should have been a bit more specific, to a certain extent a downfiring box could act as a bandpass box if the clearances are close enough...

Worlddre
04-10-2008, 10:37 PM
hollis?

Mr. Belding
04-10-2008, 10:38 PM
hollis?
yup, banned again :(

HungNeckTight
04-10-2008, 10:41 PM
i dont like the idea of a bandpass box i heard they only sound good at the frequency they are build to. but i guess it is the only option. any one have any pics of there boxes

Worlddre
04-10-2008, 10:41 PM
to fj

BrianChia
04-10-2008, 10:43 PM
i dont like the idea of a bandpass box i heard they only sound good at the frequency they are build to. but i guess it is the only option. any one have any pics of there boxes

That is not true at all. It depends on the design of the enclosure. 4th order designs can usually provide very flat output in an auto environment if designed properly.

HungNeckTight
04-10-2008, 10:55 PM
i think hes mostly trying to prevent damage. not so much as the thief taking the time to unscrew them but maybe if he doesnt see them he wont notice they are there?

well i was going for that also. if some one breaks into my car. well my back seats are locked so they can get my amps behind the box. box will be bolted down. cant pull the box out. and no subs exposed so nothing to stab in anger..... sorry headunit and random things in glove compartment and laying around car.

Pl8er
04-10-2008, 10:59 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c6/Bandpass_enclosure.gif

1LOWCHIEF
04-10-2008, 10:59 PM
Uhh... this may be a dumb question, but can't you buy speaker grills to cover them woofers so they don't get damaged by your friends throwing **** around in your trunk? It seems to be that would be a LOT easier than building a box that internally holds the speakers because your friends are clumsy idiots.

HungNeckTight
04-10-2008, 11:24 PM
Uhh... this may be a dumb question, but can't you buy speaker grills to cover them woofers so they don't get damaged by your friends throwing **** around in your trunk? It seems to be that would be a LOT easier than building a box that internally holds the speakers because your friends are clumsy idiots.

well yes but i do have 2 subs sitting in my room a big *** sheet of MDF, box of screws and a table saw in my basement. dont feel like going out and buying anything. also i don't like the look of screens. i think they looks cheep. just a clean box in the trunk i think will look good. i can put all the connecters on the back side and port it out the top or something. havent thought it all the way though yet. just wanted to see what i could do. i dident want to do a bandpass but i guess its my only option. and its not only because of my friends. its i think it would pervent theft. i mean when you open your trunk what do you see 2 BIG SUBS. well some one who happens to be walking though the parking lot can see them and then knows what i have. just a number of reasons that makes it worth the effort to me. also i can show up my friend like look at my sick box that isent a prefabed from the local audio store of best buy.

1LOWCHIEF
04-10-2008, 11:42 PM
heh.... ok. Well, in that case, you should put a plexiglass panel to tease any would-be thieves! Show them subs off, but "oh, no! You can't touch!"

adas
04-10-2008, 11:49 PM
Option 1: Loading wall. put a sheet of mdf or plexi in front of the subs about 2-3" away, fully gaurded, and most of the time give a little more low end extension/output because of better cone control. Easiest IMO since you don't need to build a new box.

HungNeckTight
04-10-2008, 11:49 PM
i was thinking about that. i do have a sheet of plexiglass but how do i cut it can i use a table saw?

your talking about something like this right?
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?showAll=Y&g=510&i=028V103BP&tp=112

adas
04-10-2008, 11:53 PM
i was thinking about that. i do have a sheep of plexiglass but how do i cut it can i use a table saw?

your talking about something like this right?
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?showAll=Y&g=510&i=028V103BP&tp=112

No thats a full bandpass....all you do is cut a rectangle the size of the front face, use something as spacers to mount the peice about 3" away from the front of the box, and voila...in a nut shell.

Mr. Belding
04-11-2008, 08:42 AM
heh.... ok. Well, in that case, you should put a plexiglass panel to tease any would-be thieves! Show them subs off, but "oh, no! You can't touch!"

better make that some thick plexi...