PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglassing door panel ???

iiixtremeiii
04-09-2008, 11:04 AM
I'm getting ready to start fiberglassing my door panels. On the lower part I'll be adding some speakers then the rest of the door will just be glassed. My question is will 1.5oz fiberglass mat be ok for fiberglassing the door panel? I was thinking of only doing like 2 layers of mat and then a layer of 24oz fiberglass cloth. Will this be strong enough? Or are there any other recommendations as far as the weight of the mat and the cloth?
Thanks in advance

iamamp3pimp
04-09-2008, 11:08 AM
that should be fine.

you making pods or running ib?

you ever heard of www.fiberglassforums.com?

thats where i learned a lot of my **** from a dude named epiccenterdesigns (jon)

very informative palce...

WhoSayWho?
04-09-2008, 11:52 AM
that should be fine.

you making pods or running ib?

you ever heard of www.fiberglassforums.com?

thats where i learned a lot of my **** from a dude named epiccenterdesigns (jon)

very informative palce...

Hey Robin, I am about to seal my doors here pretty soon (just plugging up the big *** holes). This installer I know recommended going with fiberglass as an alternative to plexi etc. I have never worked with fiberglass. What do you think?

fbi90909
04-09-2008, 12:01 PM
i am actually going to seal up the large holes in my car as well with fiberglass. initially what i am going to do is take soem spandex like fabric and stretch it over the hole ony, as i work the stretch over the hole i'll just hot glue the fabric to the deadener on the door. when the area is covered with the fabric and the fabric is pulled tight cut off excess matirial i'll then add FG. a good 3-4 layers should be good. after the glass is done i'll just add deadener to the edge of the glassed cap to help hold it in place and should be good to go.

and to the OP. i'd recommed using .5-1.0oz matt instead of. with 1.5 it will be a little more difficult to use along tight curves. though all you really need are 4-5 layers of 1oz and it will be quite strong w/o the need of 24oz cloth.

iiixtremeiii
04-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the replies... I was just going to add the cloth at the end because on my past fiberglass i noticed that it provides a more smooth finish which means less sanding for me.. haha...

iamamp3pimp
04-09-2008, 12:48 PM
well i wouldnt do it

if you mean the metal in the door you may need to service the window some day

or

it might pop right off.

id use some self tappers and some silicon, and thin plexi pieces if i were to redo it.

atm i have cardboard and peel and seel...

WhoSayWho?
04-09-2008, 12:51 PM
well i wouldnt do it

or

it might pop right off.

id use some self tappers and some silicon, and thin plexi pieces if i were to redo it.

Yeah, that was my original plan. It's just that cutting that plexi is not as easy as I thought it would be. Using a dremmel and it just takes a long *** time.

fbi90909
04-09-2008, 12:53 PM
well i wouldnt do it

or

it might pop right off.

cardboard. hm... i wonder if cardboard with polyester resin would work. to keep moisture out of the cardboard..

iamamp3pimp
04-09-2008, 02:08 PM
as long as its covered it would.

iamamp3pimp
04-09-2008, 02:09 PM
use a jigsaw to cut plexi..u just need 1/8 in thick....

or get a plastic cutting bit...looks like a mini circ saw

WhoSayWho?
04-09-2008, 02:11 PM
use a jigsaw to cut plexi..u just need 1/8 in thick....

or get a plastic cutting bit...looks like a mini circ saw

No tools FTL:crap:

iamamp3pimp
04-09-2008, 02:12 PM
buy a lot

break till you get lucky

WhoSayWho?
04-09-2008, 02:13 PM
buy a lot

break till you get lucky

Hah, I guess if I am going to be a cheap *** about the proper tools then I just need to be patient with the dremmel.

Flipx99
04-09-2008, 02:15 PM
No tools FTL:crap:

I am going to buy you a jigsaw for Christmas.

WhoSayWho?
04-09-2008, 02:15 PM
I am going to buy you a jigsaw for Christmas.

:clap:

mdillon
04-09-2008, 03:30 PM
use 1/4" or 3/8" board. you cant see through it but its easier to cut and you wont see it once your panels on anyway.