PDA

View Full Version : The Perfect 2-Way Component Speaker Set

Tungsten
05-08-2003, 10:22 AM
It seems to me that the perfect 2-way component speaker set would meet the following criteria:

Strong midbass presence
Warm, natural midrange
Smooth tweeter response - not too harsh, not too bright

So what component set rises to the challenge? All of the components I have listened to are lacking in one or the other of those areas. Midrange *****, tweeters too bright, midbass completely non-existent.

I've yet to personally listen to the Alpine SPX-177A components or the Boston Acoustics Rally series RC620 components. Maybe they are what I am searching for.

SPLThunder
05-08-2003, 10:28 AM
Adire Koda with sufficient power

avistar23
05-08-2003, 04:18 PM
It's all to do with personal taste.....

d audio 450
05-08-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by SPLThunder
Adire Koda with sufficient power

how much power would this be?
thanks
-pat

andy00018
05-08-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by d audio 450
how much power would this be?
thanks
-pat
Around 100ish watts

Tungsten
05-08-2003, 04:36 PM
I know that looks certainly aren't everything... but the picture of that Koda midbass driver on the Adire website looks, well... rough. Are they really that ugly?

Again, looks don't always = quality or performance. I realize that. :)

andy00018
05-08-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Tungsten
I know that looks certainly aren't everything... but the picture of that Koda midbass driver on the Adire website looks, well... rough. Are they really that ugly?

Again, looks don't always = quality or performance. I realize that. :)
Looks??? I think there beautiful, so beautiful infact that iam going to buy a set soon. Looks?? Look at the Shiva, just another plain black sub right?? Yea... right, lol

Tungsten
05-08-2003, 04:45 PM
I'd love to listen to a Koda set... that's going to be the real deal breaker for me. As for ugly, I can always hide them behind some grilles. :laugh:

andy00018
05-08-2003, 04:49 PM
I'd love to listen to a Koda set... that's going to be the real deal breaker for me. As for ugly, I can always hide them behind some grilles. :laugh:
Yea, don't the Stangs have the front speakers behind the door panel anyway?

SPLThunder
05-08-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by andy00018
Looks??? I think there beautiful, so beautiful infact that iam going to buy a set soon. Looks?? Look at the Shiva, just another plain black sub right?? Yea... right, lol

AMEN!!!

The Adire web site says they sound good for factory locations also

nswartley
05-08-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by SPLThunder
AMEN!!!

The Adire web site says they sound good for factory locations also

meh....propoganda ;)

-nate

MikeofTulsa
05-08-2003, 06:48 PM
factual propaganda at that....heh

nswartley
05-08-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Goddyd4me
factual propaganda at that....heh

come on now...i highly doubt that they engineered the kodas for factory door panels. what can you do to prepare for that? i dunno....i find it hard to believe that one will sound better in door panels than another. but they are really nice comps regardless...

-nate

MikeofTulsa
05-08-2003, 06:54 PM
they were actually designed to sound best in factory locations.....i believe they are designed to be off axis......or vice versa......havnt read up on them recently.......

Randy Savage
05-08-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by nswartley
come on now...i highly doubt that they engineered the kodas for factory door panels. what can you do to prepare for that? i dunno....i find it hard to believe that one will sound better in door panels than another. but they are really nice comps regardless...

-nate http://www.adireaudio.com/mobile_audio/components/components.htm

Read up.;)

Tungsten
05-09-2003, 09:18 AM
Yeah, the Mustang has the speakers behind grilles. I was just taking a little comedic liberty with things. ;)

andy00018
05-09-2003, 10:48 PM
Yeah, the Mustang has the speakers behind grilles. I was just taking a little comedic liberty with things. ;)
OO OK, I'll just pretend that i didnt post that question before then, Sorry. lol

b0mbrman
05-10-2003, 10:00 AM
I fell in love with Dynaudio comps yesterday :)

Would you guys say the Kodas are better? There's probably no chance at all that I'll ever get to hear an actual Koda set in person :(

The woofer in my comp set right now is a CDT Eurosport with a Focal TN 45 tweeter...good, but man, at least in store, those Dynaudio's sounded incredible

paikiah
05-10-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by b0mbrman
I fell in love with Dynaudio comps yesterday :)

Would you guys say the Kodas are better? There's probably no chance at all that I'll ever get to hear an actual Koda set in person :(

The woofer in my comp set right now is a CDT Eurosport with a Focal TN 45 tweeter...good, but man, at least in store, those Dynaudio's sounded incredible

I'd say 90% of SQ entry cars here use dynaudio, the rest being scanspeak, peerless, etc.
incredible, yes...

If you've got a CDT eurosport... I haven't heard it yet, but it has been compared to focal's (heard focals, they were great!) ...I think you've got nothing to complain about.

Some of us don't have that kind of equipment...yet.

b0mbrman
05-10-2003, 11:16 AM
I'm not complaining at all :)

But in regard to Dynaudio v. Focal, I heard the Dyns next to a set of 165k2's and they seriously made the PolyKs sound like crap by comparison...

paikiah
05-10-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by b0mbrman
I'm not complaining at all :)

But in regard to Dynaudio v. Focal, I heard the Dyns next to a set of 165k2's and they seriously made the PolyKs sound like crap by comparison...

i've heard a head-to-head comparison between focal's top tweeter vs dyn
s lower grade MD100 or something... the focal's ruled...but i guess when dyn's big brothers come along, focal's got quite a bit to on its hands...

since we're on the topic, there ARE also drivers that sound way better than dyn, also costs 3~10 times more. I've posted a small info aobut one of the most expensive tweeters I've ever heard of... the dome isn't silk nor titanium. It's cut from a single piece of diamond. It's response is supposed to reach 100Khz. not that a person can hear it, but amazing.

As for mids, I guess dyn's the best that I heard so far. :)

b0mbrman
05-10-2003, 12:05 PM
You're talking about the Accutons aren't you? :)

Could you point me in the direction of that thread with the high-end mid comparison?

BTW, note that this is all a dream...I just put in my new system yesterday and I can't afford to be changing my stereo setup once a week (even though it would be fun :))

jlaine
05-10-2003, 09:04 PM
It seems to me that the perfect 2-way component speaker set would meet the following criteria:

Strong midbass presence
Warm, natural midrange
Smooth tweeter response - not too harsh, not too bright

So what component set rises to the challenge? All of the components I have listened to are lacking in one or the other of those areas. Midrange *****, tweeters too bright, midbass completely non-existent.

I've yet to personally listen to the Alpine SPX-177A components or the Boston Acoustics Rally series RC620 components. Maybe they are what I am searching for.

It fails completely in the smooth tweeter response, and it's lackluster stroke doesn't allow for a strong midbass presence...

I owned them for 2 years... I know the ins and outs... and where I EQ'd to get them good.. :)

Tungsten
05-10-2003, 10:39 PM
Thanks! That confirms my decision to avoid those two. I've since ordered a set of CDT Classic 6.1 components and am eager to hear them in my car. :)