PDA

View Full Version : Antenna goes up for everything, including cd and aux

PuZo
04-07-2008, 09:42 PM
How come my antenna goes up when Im listening to a cd or aux? I have a pioneer, about a year old and im too lazy to find the model name. But Im pretty sure I connected it correctly. All I know/remember is that I had to splice another wire to put on it, I think it was on the remote starter, ie cable from head unit to harness, and then I spliced my remote starter to there also. Should I open it up and check again? How should it be connected? Thanks

squeak9798
04-07-2008, 09:47 PM
You apparently have your antenna lead connected to the REM output, which provides a 12V output for any source.

If your HU has a dedicated antenna output wire, then you can connect the antenna wire to this output if you so desire and it'll go up/down with the source selections.

If it doesn't have an antenna output then you have two options; Deal with it or put a switch in-line with the wire that goes to the antenna

PuZo
04-07-2008, 10:08 PM
I believe it has its own, because there is this pretty thick wire, atleast when compared to the ones from the harness that connects somewhere on its own, and I know its that antenna because of the connection to my previous hu. Basically I had a sony one before, and the antenna worked perfectly, it didnt have and rca out, so I got a new pioneer one, and Im pretty sure I connected it the same way, and well didnt bother changing t cause I didnt want to take out the hu. But now since the weather is better, I wanna get it fixed

canyouhearmatt
04-07-2008, 10:10 PM
i believe you wired to the blue wire..
you want the blue/white wire buddy...

the straight blue is for the amp..

dman4486
04-07-2008, 10:12 PM
sounds like you connected rem. for an amp to your power antenna

PuZo
04-07-2008, 10:33 PM
K well ill take a look and see. So how should it be connected? Im kinda confused now

fbi90909
04-07-2008, 10:34 PM
what head unit?

Macklessdaddy
04-07-2008, 10:52 PM
How come my antenna goes up when Im listening to a cd or aux? I have a pioneer, about a year old and im too lazy to find the model name. But Im pretty sure I connected it correctly. All I know/remember is that I had to splice another wire to put on it, I think it was on the remote starter, ie cable from head unit to harness, and then I spliced my remote starter to there also. Should I open it up and check again? How should it be connected? Thanks

On my x889 if I switch sources to fast it will make my antenna stay up also and I have to reset the deck and it is back to normal

dman4486
04-07-2008, 10:54 PM
K well ill take a look and see. So how should it be connected? Im kinda confused now

um....disconnect the rem. wire and connect the power antenna wire:confused:

PuZo
04-08-2008, 12:46 PM
um....disconnect the rem. wire and connect the power antenna wire:confused:

The power antenna is plugged in, nm, I think what is spliced is the rem starter to the blue cable for the hu, so the amp knows when to turn on. and then I had to splice another since I have 2 amps, so its not that.

Now I remember, ya it was just the power antenna, I plugged it in, and it would always stay up. So I dunno what to do.

nismos14
04-08-2008, 01:17 PM
There is only one blue wire on the pio's, this is why the antenna comes up always..

PuZo
04-08-2008, 07:59 PM
There is only one blue wire on the pio's, this is why the antenna comes up always..

So how do I fix it? I just checked and the blue wire coming from the harness is plugged into the blue/white going into the hu, and theres a sticker attached to it labeled system remote starter. My remote starter cable connected to my amp, is also attached to this cable. So what do I do? Its a deh-p5900ib

nismos14
04-08-2008, 08:09 PM
Either leave it, or put a switch on the antenna wire.

PuZo
04-08-2008, 08:19 PM
Either leave it, or put a switch on the antenna wire.

whats a swith look like and what is the specific name for it?

nismos14
04-08-2008, 08:23 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/On-Off-Toggle-Switch-Replacement-4-brewmatic-cecilware_W0QQitemZ380013880874QQihZ025QQcategoryZ 53306QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Something like that, or a simple toggle switch from an electronics store like radioshack would work fine.

PuZo
04-08-2008, 08:47 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/On-Off-Toggle-Switch-Replacement-4-brewmatic-cecilware_W0QQitemZ380013880874QQihZ025QQcategoryZ 53306QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Something like that, or a simple toggle switch from an electronics store like radioshack would work fine.

Okay, so then I would connect this to what exactly. The power antenna cable?

dman4486
04-08-2008, 08:47 PM
so the 5 series doesn't have power antenna wire?

my 7 series has it:confused:

nismos14
04-08-2008, 08:52 PM
Okay, so then I would connect this to what exactly. The power antenna cable?

Yes

so the 5 series doesn't have power antenna wire?

my 7 series has it:confused:

Some did some didn't.

dman4486
04-08-2008, 08:54 PM
Yes

Some did some didn't.

ah ok....i was wondering

PuZo
04-09-2008, 10:07 AM
Just to make sure, is this what my power antenna looks like?

http://www.mirage-performance.com/EclipseGSX/Stereo/antenna03.jpg

Because this is what is plugged into my hu. Its not exactly it, but thats what it looks like

nismos14
04-09-2008, 10:13 AM
NO, put the switch on the blue antenna wire.

PuZo
04-09-2008, 10:58 AM
NO, put the switch on the blue antenna wire.

Okay so the one coming out of the harness, or well the one coming from somewhere inside the car. So im curious, why doesnt the power antenna work on this pioneer? I guess it has to be the hu, cause it worked with my sony

nismos14
04-09-2008, 11:03 AM
Right. Pioneer only has teh remote out, no specific antenna wire, so you need to rig up the switch on the power antenna wire.

PuZo
04-09-2008, 11:04 AM
Right. Pioneer only has teh remote out, no specific antenna wire, so you need to rig up the switch on the power antenna wire.

Nice thanks man , kinda **** that I need another thing sticking out of my car, but oh well :)

PuZo
04-09-2008, 12:38 PM
Just connected the switch(2 wires) to the blue wire coming from the car, and my rem is connected to the b/w going into the hu. But nothing happends when I flip the switch. Also when I listen to the cd, it sounds scratchy, kinda of staticy

nismos14
04-09-2008, 12:45 PM
Something is not right with your wiring. Or something came loose, chcek it out. Do you have pics of your wiring?

PuZo
04-09-2008, 12:47 PM
Something is not right with your wiring. Or something came loose, chcek it out. Do you have pics of your wiring?

You dont want to see my wiring :D So both of the cables, positive and negative need to be connected to the blue cable coming from the car. Then the rem is connected to the hu, thats it for the colour blue, right?

Did I need to take out the power antenna cable from the hu? So nothing is connected to the black power antenna cable?

PuZo
04-09-2008, 01:35 PM
I just hooked up everything to normal, and added the switch to the blue wire, and well the antenna goes up, but the switch doesnt do anything. Does that mean its the switch?

PuZo
04-09-2008, 02:59 PM
Okay, I tested the switch and I know its working. So now its just the connection. There are 2 wires coming from the switch, where do they go? Thanks

nismos14
04-09-2008, 03:01 PM
Are you sure you connected it to the power antenna and not the remote? Did you interrupt the wire or let it run along throw the two connectors? lol.

PuZo
04-09-2008, 04:16 PM
Okay, you guys didn't tell me I need to ground 1 wire, although that is basic stuff, still would of helped :p

So now the power antenna is plugged into the hu. The blue wire is connected into the hu. So the antenna works. When I connect the switch to the blue wire, the switch works, but the antenna along with the amp turns on/off. When I plug the switch directly to the blue wire, nothing happens.

nismos14
04-09-2008, 04:23 PM
Okay, you guys didn't tell me I need to ground 1 wire, although that is basic stuff, still would of helped :p

So now the power antenna is plugged into the hu. The blue wire is connected into the hu. So the antenna works. When I connect the switch to the blue wire, the switch works, but the antenna along with the amp turns on/off. When I plug the switch directly to the blue wire, nothing happens.

You are using the wrong wire for your amp turn on then.... I think.

Man its so much easier to TS when the car is right in front of you.

dman4486
04-09-2008, 04:26 PM

exactly

edit: the reason i don't like getting into discussion about wiring

PuZo
04-09-2008, 05:23 PM

My amp wire is connected to the system remote starter (labeled with paper) into the hu. How else would I connect it. It works when the antenna wire is hooked up to the hu, but when its alone it doesnt.

nismos14
04-09-2008, 06:37 PM
Labeled with paper? are you SURE it is the remote and not the antenna?

PuZo
04-09-2008, 08:39 PM
Labeled with paper? are you SURE it is the remote and not the antenna?

Okay coming from the car is a blue cable, it is the only one unused. Then there is a blue/white cable coming from the hu with that label. It has a clamp like piece on the end, where I crimped the blue and blue/white cables together. I then spliced off a piece of plastic off the blue/white and connected my rem for my amp. isn't that how its done? The blue wire seems to be the antenna because when its not plugged in, the antenna does move. my dad said its because when the switch is hooked up, the blue wire isnt getting any power, so thats why it does nothing.

nismos14
04-09-2008, 08:46 PM
Ok what you should do is put the switch on the blue wire AFTER the bridge for the amps itself.

PuZo
04-09-2008, 09:08 PM
Ok what you should do is put the switch on the blue wire AFTER the bridge for the amps itself.

You mean before?, or well after assuming the power comes from the hu. Ill give it a try. But thats how you set up an amp, no?

nismos14
04-09-2008, 09:17 PM
Well if you are putting the switch before the amp split off (from the blue wire on the HU), and the HU is sending the signal, when you flip the switch off you're opening the signal and the amps shut off. So you need to have the wire going to the amp remain connected at all times for your amps to stay on, and the switch should only be on the wire that goes is in the cars harness.

PuZo
04-09-2008, 09:50 PM
Well if you are putting the switch before the amp split off (from the blue wire on the HU), and the HU is sending the signal, when you flip the switch off you're opening the signal and the amps shut off. So you need to have the wire going to the amp remain connected at all times for your amps to stay on, and the switch should only be on the wire that goes is in the cars harness.

ya, I figured it out now. it will car blue cable from car to switch - switch the blue/white cable, then splice on the amp rem which goes into the hu