PDA

View Full Version : Tell me if I'm right/wrong...

drummer_punk82
05-08-2003, 12:11 AM
Ok, I've heard many different stories about how box size and a box being ported or sealed can change the volume and sound of subwoofers. This is what I've heard, tell me if I'm wrong,

The Bigger Box = LOUDER SUBS OVERALL(unless horribly out of specs for the subs)
Ported Box = LOUDER SUBS BUT LESS QUALITY SOUND
Sealed Box = LESS VOLUME BUT BEST SOUND QUALITY

I have a sealed box and was wondering if I should try making a ported box instead. I have two 10" JL Audio W3 subwoofers. I would really like to clear my questions up once and for all, thanks a lot!

andy00018
05-08-2003, 12:14 AM
Those statements are more or less correct.

Randy Savage
05-08-2003, 12:20 AM
**In general** that is true. A bigger ported box will become more efficient and yield higher output with the same power.

*Theoretically*, going from sealed to ported with the same power, you will see a 3dB gain...

andy00018
05-08-2003, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by snova031
**In general** that is true. A bigger ported box will become more efficient and yield higher output with the same power.

*Theoretically*, going from sealed to ported with the same power, you will see a 3dB gain...
A 3dB gain at what frequency though?? Resonant?

Randy Savage
05-08-2003, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by andy00018
A 3dB gain at what frequency though?? Resonant?

In general.

Different frequencies will have different outputs. If you have a flat response, you will see less of a change in SPL over an octave.

When you have a high tuning, you're gonna have that high peak, but a nice drop off on the low end...

drummer_punk82
05-08-2003, 12:44 AM
Thanks for the help everyone!
How big of a difference would there be though? Is it enough to go out and get a new box, or would I be better off sticking with mine? Finally, would there be any substantial sound quality loss? I really want to keep my sound quality the same cuz it is very good but I'd like a more powerful sound too.

Randy Savage
05-08-2003, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by drummer_punk82
Thanks for the help everyone!
How big of a difference would there be though? Is it enough to go out and get a new box, or would I be better off sticking with mine? Finally, would there be any substantial sound quality loss? I really want to keep my sound quality the same cuz it is very good but I'd like a more powerful sound too.

Well, I wouldn't recommend porting the W3's...they are more of an SQ driver...

But, if you would like to try it out, you can build one yourself (it's easier than you think). If you tune the box low, you won't lose much SQ at all, and still have a decent peak over a sealed box...

ramos
05-08-2003, 01:18 PM
You got to the point with your last statement I was going to make. You don't have to completely loose all SQ with a ported enclosure. You can still have good SQ from a ported enclosure. You just have to tunethe enclosure properly for it. :)