PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Help

nawgee
04-07-2008, 02:42 PM
Hey guys well I finally got my system up and running right (thanks to Big Three =D), but now I have a new problem. . .MY SYSTEM SOUNDS LIKE **** WHEN CRANKED ALL THE WAY UP!! When my stereo is at low volume everything sounds right and hits nicely, but when I turn it up it sounds distorted!? I'm running four 6 1/2 3 way speakers (two in front two back) powered by a 4-channel amp. Then I have a 10w7 powered by a 500/1 amp. One of my friends told me to buy an EQ and prolly get some 61/2 comps for the front....?

Example: i was playing betcha cant do it like me - D4L, and the lows were hitting nicely but the mids were terrible when i turned it up louder...THANKS IN ADVANCE GUYS!!

Scoobydoo
04-07-2008, 02:46 PM
your over playing them/clipping/not enough power/turn it down or your install *****

Millertime1028
04-07-2008, 02:48 PM
What kind of deck do you have .. Do you have the HPF set right if your deck has it . Try readjusting settings on deck and amp ?

jmanpc
04-07-2008, 02:49 PM
Turn down your gains.

Stel
04-07-2008, 04:43 PM
You could be clipping the amp or the HU's preouts, or overpowering the speakers. What speakers and amp is it? They should all be high passed too since you have the sub.

djman37
04-07-2008, 04:48 PM
IF you don't have the proper tools to set your gains(go look it up on here) Then try this.

First, set bass and treble to 0 on HU, amp gains all the way down. REMOVE any bass boost, or amp remote gadets and store them.
Turn up your volume until you hear distortion on mid/highs. Back off two clicks--that is the new MAX you should turn your HU to. Turn it to the new max setting, adjust gains on amp until you get the volume you want, or you hear distortion, back off the gain a bit. Turn HU to your max setting, adjust sub levels to match the other speakers so you get a nice blend.

nawgee
04-08-2008, 12:15 AM
You could be clipping the amp or the HU's preouts, or overpowering the speakers. What speakers and amp is it? They should all be high passed too since you have the sub.

ok well i basically think i need to upgrade my speaker system. I have 4 Pioneer TS-A1671R 3 way speakers powered by an Alpine MRP F240 4 channel amp, and then my deck is a kenwood KDC MRP 628

Stel
04-08-2008, 09:21 PM
My guess is your clipping the amp. How did you set your gains on the amp? It should be done with a voltmeter and test tone cd. Also how far up is the volume on the headunit when it starts to sound bad? Most headunits start to clip the preout signal at around 3/4 volume. So basically you want your amp to do rated power at about 3/4 volume setting with a test tone (I use -3db tones).

nawgee
04-10-2008, 01:04 AM
ok im thinking i might just go ahead and upgrade my speakers and 4channel...I was using that setup back when i had my 2 12w0s anyway...what setup do you guys recommend for good spl (im only upgrading my speaker setup btw)