PDA

View Full Version : who pieces together their own comps?

xhilr8n
04-07-2008, 01:47 AM
Just as the title states, i am thinking of piecing together my own components, i am wanting something that is gonna be extremely loud yet sound decent, and think that this is really the only way to go. Reason being is that i plan to use either a 6.5", 7", 8", or 6x9 mid bass, and i am unsure at what tweeters are gonna fit the bill. was thinking of a three way setup.

Front dash pillar-----tweets undecided
Front doors--------any size of the above
Rear Doors--------6.5" mid bass....

I am not sure on what brands, etc., so if anyone has used midwoofers etc. from parts express or the like, please let me know what you used and your experiences with it. I have ordered some books etc. to start doing some reading on the science behind making all this work, car stereo cookbook, loudspeaker design cookbook, and another car stereo book. But i am just curious as to who, if anyone has done this and had successful results.

It would seem in my opinion that a 8" midbass/woofer should be able to get quite loud, while still being musical enough to get decent quality.

thanks for any and all suggestions/help in advance.

jason

WrenchGuy
04-07-2008, 01:52 AM
Look into Dayton as a starter. Its a practice and you don't want to break your balls right from the get go. Your gonna wanna know what your missing and why. This will help you trade off drivers for your taste and fit your budget at the same time.

Just a suggestion. Dayton Loudspeaker is quality on a budget.

teedot231999
04-07-2008, 04:35 AM
Look into Dayton as a starter. Its a practice and you don't want to break your balls right from the get go. Your gonna wanna know what your missing and why. This will help you trade off drivers for your taste and fit your budget at the same time.

Just a suggestion. Dayton Loudspeaker is quality on a budget.

X2

Dozy_production
04-07-2008, 01:26 PM
What you want to do is going "active"

Hopefully you have some sort of other way to set your crossovers rather than using some passives from a random set. If you don't you can buy a head unit that is capable of doing so or find some really nice expensive crossover.

My main advise to you is go to diymobileaudio.com. But even a bigger concern is to start researching on your own by reading their threads, USING THE SEARCH BUTTON, and occasionally asking questions here and there. I found this form of humility as beneficial because it makes you spend more time on a subject that needs it.

Read upon each potential drivers characteristics on how harsh it is, how it plays on and off axis, what crossover points it needs and so on. If you can demo any of the stuff, which is probably not the case then its almost like shooting in the dark.

Few brands that could interest you: Dayton Loudspeaker, LPG, Vifa, Seas, Peerless, Scanspeek and etc just for starters.

tcguy85
04-07-2008, 01:34 PM
i agree with all of the above.

danz24
04-07-2008, 02:31 PM
take in to account the cost of the processor as well.
find out your budget also.
take a look at the frequency graphs of the speakers as well, helps you give an idea of their range

atoz350
04-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Going active is not too hard to do, but the time and money involved is enough to scare some people away. I went through abour 3 different mid bass drivers and about 4 different tweeter sets before I found the right sound. To do a successful active setup you are going to need an active crossover as well as an EQ. Time alignment won't be necessary unless you need to compensate for driver placement issues. Which it sounds like you'll have if you put your midbass in the rear doors. A 3-way system is a bit harder to set up than a 2 way, but makes driver selection a bit easier. Get creative with it.

katodevin
04-07-2008, 05:50 PM
I see that Dayton has several lines. Can you guys recommend any specific line to start with? I'm interested specifically in mid-bass woofers.

Thanks.

tcguy85
04-07-2008, 09:46 PM
I see that Dayton has several lines. Can you guys recommend any specific line to start with? I'm interested specifically in mid-bass woofers.

Thanks.

the rs line. the rs180, i think it is, is popular.