PDA

View Full Version : Good headers.

Puppet Master
04-05-2008, 09:11 PM
Where can i find some online that will be better than stock but aren't too expensive. I mean not over $200...I found these but i'm not sure if the site means you only get one or you get two.

http://www2.partstrain.com/store/?N=9596+1697+4294966975+11920+6866

I wish they were chrome but that is fine i guess.

95ZJ
04-05-2008, 09:13 PM
What year, make, and model?

And engine, that too.

bonesninja
04-05-2008, 09:20 PM
i would say that you only get one....considering there are 4 ports and you have a 4 cylinder engine

95ZJ
04-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Well you never answered, so here's the cheapest ceramic coated headers I could find from a reputable website. Pacesetter is a good brand, ceramic coating just wont lose its finish like chrome or silver will, it's made to withstand the heat.

As for coming with both, your car is a 4 cylinder so it only has one header.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=PSM%2D72C1277&N=700+4294908153+4294907736+4294924746+4294923429+ 4294839039+115&autoview=sku

Puppet Master
04-05-2008, 09:25 PM
Well you never answered, so here's the cheapest ceramic coated headers I could find from a reputable website. Pacesetter is a good brand, ceramic coating just wont lose its finish like chrome or silver will, it's made to withstand the heat.

As for coming with both, your car is a 4 cylinder so it only has one header.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=PSM%2D72C1277&N=700+4294908153+4294907736+4294924746+4294923429+ 4294839039+115&autoview=sku

Thanks. I feel dumb now that i realize i only need one header..haha..my bad. I am kinda new at this whole engine upgrading thing.

Eugenics
04-05-2008, 09:27 PM
i would say that you only get one....considering there are 4 ports and you have a 4 cylinder engine

which would make it a header.

95ZJ
04-05-2008, 09:27 PM
It's alright, there's no such thing as a stupid question just a stupid answer.

Eugenics
04-05-2008, 09:29 PM
honestly i mean no offense. but i would not spend money on engine goodies for a 12 yearold economy car. im not slamming your car at all, but think of it as ~200 dollars you could spend towards a new car, or something you could install in a new car.

SilverSquared
04-05-2008, 09:30 PM
a header doesnt mean 1 manifold. A set of headers CAN be on a 4 cyl engine. Simply because headers are "head pipes" grouped together in a set. So, you can have a set of headers on a single set, or 2. It goes both ways.

Try SSAutochrome.com. Cheap, nice, and flashy. I bought a set of turbo headers for a 350 v8. Was VERY nice, and held boost very well.

*edit*
nevermind, nothin for ur car there. Remember, your car is same as cavalier, and a saturn, forget which model.

95ZJ
04-05-2008, 09:31 PM
honestly i mean no offense. but i would not spend money on engine goodies for a 12 yearold economy car. im not slamming your car at all, but think of it as ~200 dollars you could spend towards a new car, or something you could install in a new car.

^^^truth

You already get great gas mileage, so you wouldn't really see an improvement in that department.

As for power, it'd be near pointless as you wouldn't be freeing up anything restrictive.

Puppet Master
04-05-2008, 09:53 PM
^^^truth

You already get great gas mileage, so you wouldn't really see an improvement in that department.

As for power, it'd be near pointless as you wouldn't be freeing up anything restrictive.

okay good points. I got this car because i needed some money after i sold my old one and the difference between this one and my other car was huge, money wise. It's not the sportiest car in the world, i realize, but it won't make any difference at all? I thought it might give it a few extra hp. The car is in great shape if that is your concern and the engine doesn't have 12 years worth of miles on it. More like 5 i think. Idk, if you guys don't think i should get new headers then i won't. The guy i am buying it from put a new cold air intake on it, and i figured i would keep up his attempt to make a little economy car a beast. Well if i dont' get these what else could i spend the $250 on that i have left over for fun stuff? Thinkin bout getting a new head unit. not sure.

95ZJ
04-05-2008, 10:21 PM
A head unit would offer more functionality than a header, and thats just truth. If you were driving a large V8 or a performance oriented 4/6 cylinder then sure headers would be a viable option. It's going to take a lot more than a cold air intake and a header to turn that car into a "beast."

joshs98runner
04-05-2008, 10:21 PM
I played the performance engine game with two of my cars, first a 69 mustang with a 302 I overhauled, second a 96 Mustang GT. I put the most into the 96 4.6SOHC motor and it was really fun and faster than a stock C5 corvette and about equal to a C6. I spent over 6-7 thousand dollars under the hood of my 96 and while it was fun and fast and sounded like a monster it wasn't really worth it economically. Even with a car like that which people appreciate mods I wish I would have put my money towards a newer model cobra instead of my older model GT when I look at it...it just isn't worth it.

If I owned a car like yours I would steer very clear of aftermarket parts really because they will only turn away prospective buyers in the future. Think about it...you have a car that is suited for economy driving, not sporty driving. If you go and mod the car out you are only going to decrease the amount of lower RPM torque it makes and the crowd of buyers you will be targeting in the future are highschool aged kids that will not want to pay full price for it anyways. On top of making it harder to sell and taking away the practicality of the car you will only be looked down upon by guys who drive real performance cars which is pretty much everyone in the sport compact scene all the way through the muscle and exotic scenes...if it were my car and I was in your shoes I would spend the money on luxuries that can easily be removed upon sale of the vehicle...

Another note you should make is that there is a good chance the aftermarket header you end up with will be full length which will probably be considerably longer than your stock manifold and you will need further modification to the stock exhaust pipe to make it compatible with your new header...maybe somewhere in the 70-150 range (estimate) to have an exhaust shop do for you...

My .02 cents is spend the money on luxury and not performance or just put the money away...hell you could even throw the couple hundred bucks into a stock like Visa (V) to see if it does what mastercard did...if that happens you could have 500 bucks from your 200 in around a year...

Puppet Master
04-05-2008, 10:52 PM
I played the performance engine game with two of my cars, first a 69 mustang with a 302 I overhauled, second a 96 Mustang GT. I put the most into the 96 4.6SOHC motor and it was really fun and faster than a stock C5 corvette and about equal to a C6. I spent over 6-7 thousand dollars under the hood of my 96 and while it was fun and fast and sounded like a monster it wasn't really worth it economically. Even with a car like that which people appreciate mods I wish I would have put my money towards a newer model cobra instead of my older model GT when I look at it...it just isn't worth it.

If I owned a car like yours I would steer very clear of aftermarket parts really because they will only turn away prospective buyers in the future. Think about it...you have a car that is suited for economy driving, not sporty driving. If you go and mod the car out you are only going to decrease the amount of lower RPM torque it makes and the crowd of buyers you will be targeting in the future are highschool aged kids that will not want to pay full price for it anyways. On top of making it harder to sell and taking away the practicality of the car you will only be looked down upon by guys who drive real performance cars which is pretty much everyone in the sport compact scene all the way through the muscle and exotic scenes...if it were my car and I was in your shoes I would spend the money on luxuries that can easily be removed upon sale of the vehicle...

Another note you should make is that there is a good chance the aftermarket header you end up with will be full length which will probably be considerably longer than your stock manifold and you will need further modification to the stock exhaust pipe to make it compatible with your new header...maybe somewhere in the 70-150 range (estimate) to have an exhaust shop do for you...

My .02 cents is spend the money on luxury and not performance or just put the money away...hell you could even throw the couple hundred bucks into a stock like Visa (V) to see if it does what mastercard did...if that happens you could have 500 bucks from your 200 in around a year...

****, that's some wise, informed help right there. Thanks man, i will take your advice and invest in something a little more luxury.

hoxie08
04-05-2008, 10:57 PM
i love good headers.

Puppet Master
04-06-2008, 12:16 AM
i love good headers.

lol i saw that one coming eventually

Ferendon
04-06-2008, 03:54 AM
VERY rarely, does any kind of airflow mod add power. They typically just move it around. When you see people advertising "our CAI added 11 peak whp", then you probably lost 15 somewhere else in the power band. The only aftermarket exhaust manifold worth putting on just about any 4 cylinder, is the one with the turbo on it.

Alpine CDA-9815
04-06-2008, 07:14 AM
Save your money :)

Puppet Master
04-06-2008, 07:34 PM
Save your money :)

I was thinking about that. maybe. But i just got another 250 today cause i sold my xbox. So will probably buy some new tires for the car. good investment there.

Alpine CDA-9815
04-07-2008, 05:25 PM
I was thinking about that. maybe. But i just got another 250 today cause i sold my xbox. So will probably buy some new tires for the car. good investment there.
If you need them that's a better choice.

BloWNMind
04-07-2008, 05:38 PM
ceramic coating just wont lose its finish like chrome or silver will, it's made to withstand the heat
No, ceramic flakes and they still rust.

Now take me out of your sig

Alpine CDA-9815
04-08-2008, 10:21 PM
No, ceramic flakes and they still rust.

Now take me out of your sig
Depends on who does them. I've had mine for over 2 years, no flaking or anything. Mine also came with a lifetime warranty, if they ever flake send them back and they will recoat them for free. :)