PDA

View Full Version : Changed plan for my hatchback? *pics*

ArrizX
04-05-2008, 03:23 AM
[http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c98/Arrizxx130/IMG_1866.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c98/Arrizxx130/IMG_2098.jpg

So this is my problem, in my little car ( 2002 Honda Civic SI ) because the ports are faced to the side (pic2), whats happening is the outside body panels are flexing, some songs you can hear it, some you cant.

So i'm just sick of it. Tomorrow I'm gonna buy a new sheet of MDF and rebuild my box. I have two Precision ports that I can re-use.

So my problem is this, do I face the subs back, and just port it towards the back? Or should I do subs up and port up? Or subs up, port back (pic1 for what the back is like).

And my second problem, do I slot port it, or do I do the Precision ports again. I originally got help from someone on ssa.com with box and ports (I love the look of them) but you cant see them like this. I dont even know if their best for my car or whatever. I have no idea just need some insight.

If it matters, the subs are TC-7s off a RF 1000-1BD benched @ 1316@1.

dtbrown
04-05-2008, 04:17 AM
Least amount of flexing is ports up, subs up. Keep the precision ports all day. They are louder than slot port and are easier to tune. But sounds like you need some sound deadener. Older civic's shake like crazy. If that box is for 10" subs can you make the box 3.5-4cf? That will be ideal for two 10's in a ported box. And you can do it common enclosure if you like. Good luck.

ArrizX
04-05-2008, 04:22 AM
Least amount of flexing is ports up, subs up. Keep the precision ports all day. They are louder than slot port and are easier to tune. But sounds like you need some sound deadener. Older civic's shake like crazy. If that box is for 10" subs can you make the box 3.5-4cf? That will be ideal for two 10's in a ported box. And you can do it common enclosure if you like. Good luck.

I already have it tuned to 33hz. This particular civic doesnt rattle that bad. The worst part is just how the ports are now. Kinda sucky =[

Um, Yeah I think I could fit that large of a box. Are you sure it needs to be that big? I cant do the math in my head, but from what I remember I think they're in like 2.25cubes or something like that.

You sure that I should almost double that?

dtbrown
04-05-2008, 04:53 AM
I mean 3.5-4cf for both subs not each.

ArrizX
04-05-2008, 04:59 AM
I know.

So thats almost doubling the size of box I currently have.

What would be a result of this? Would it get louder, sound better, be more efficient, or what?

ThatChevyGuy
04-05-2008, 05:06 AM
it would be boomier.

ArrizX
04-05-2008, 05:07 AM
it would be boomier.

Are we talking less sq and more spl, or would it sound the same and just get louder?

dtbrown
04-07-2008, 03:06 AM
It would be loud and sound good. Rule of thumb is bigger ported box is boomier, deeper bass and smaller ported box is tighter but not as deep. So if you are tight on space try 3.5qf. Just make sure the ports are fairly long. Because of smaller box you'll need the port to be long to make up for the box being smaller.