PDA

View Full Version : cleaning engine bay....

dleccord
04-05-2008, 01:52 AM
i got an electric power washer and some simple green.

what else do i need to cover besides the alternator and battery?

now should i spray the simple green on first and let it soak in and then spray?

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g197/dleccord1/DSC08094.jpg

dman4486
04-05-2008, 02:00 AM
honestly you don't need to cover anything, but if you are feeling cavalier cover alt, ignition coil, maf connections and try not to spray in the air box.

I have found the easiest clean was using "greased lightening" spray on....allow to sit to break down grease and grime, then simple hose off

audiobahnuser18
04-05-2008, 02:01 AM
I just spray on gunk and do it all by hand:D.

Ken448
04-05-2008, 02:01 AM
better cover the ignition control modules! They dont like water, ESPECIALLY high pressure water

billabongcr
04-05-2008, 02:05 AM
purple power. spray it on, turn the truck on and rinse everything off really good. dont shoot water directly down on the engine..water sits around my plugs and works its way into the cylinders and it makes for a ***** till the water works out. keep the pressure washer a good distance away from all wiring..from everything actually.

after your done and its dry, go buy a can or 2 of wd40 and spray everything down. gives it a good shine for cheap

Scoobydoo
04-05-2008, 02:08 AM
spray it down with gasoline or lighter fluid, turn on the engine and let it burn off

dman4486
04-05-2008, 02:09 AM
spray it down with gasoline or lighter fluid, turn on the engine and let it burn off

:laugh:

86yota
04-05-2008, 02:09 AM
My process at the detail shop I work at is soakin it down with an all purpose cleaner, let it sit, and pressure wash off, keep around 15-20" of distance with the washer tho. Try not to directly spray the alt with cleaner especially. I spray a dressing on it while its still wet.

Alpine CDA-9815
04-05-2008, 07:37 AM
You don't have to cover up anything. Just get a can of engine degreaser at Auto Zone. Some you do it when the motor is hot and some you do it when it's cold, do whatever it says. Spray it on, scub the bad areas, let sit on there for awhile and then take a hose to wash it off.

Ferendon
04-05-2008, 02:58 PM
purple power. spray it on, turn the truck on and rinse everything off really good. dont shoot water directly down on the engine..water sits around my plugs and works its way into the cylinders and it makes for a ***** till the water works out. keep the pressure washer a good distance away from all wiring..from everything actually.

after your done and its dry, go buy a can or 2 of wd40 and spray everything down. gives it a good shine for cheap

Wow.

Wow....

Wow.......

Where to begin... I'll start by saying, YOU'RE ****ING RETARDED. First off, the water isn't getting into the cylinders, it's saturating the spark plug boots. You need new plugs and wires. If it IS getting into the cylinders, then your dumb *** didn't use di-electric grease or torque your plugs properly. Wrist tight plus and 1/8 - 1/4 turn. And chances are, if you go to pull one off, the contact is going to snap off and stick to the spark plug. And secondly, WD40 is a cleaner, not a lubricant. Cleaners evaporate and remove residue as they do so. WD-40 will also cause cracking and whitening in plastics, not to mention IT'S FLAMMABLE.
Hand cleaning the engine is the only proper way to do it.

Ferendon
04-05-2008, 02:59 PM
I just spray on gunk and do it all by hand:D.
WINNAR

hatemonger
04-05-2008, 03:01 PM
a can of coke does just fine.

Ferendon
04-05-2008, 03:04 PM
Coke can be used to clean corroded parts, like battery terminals. Diet coke works even better. I wouldn't use it to clean the parts that are just greasy.

hatemonger
04-05-2008, 03:07 PM
Coke can be used to clean corroded parts, like battery terminals. Diet coke works even better. I wouldn't use it to clean the parts that are just greasy.

we used it all the time when i was a kid to clean all the farm equipment. it's more cost effective than the best substance to use. but it works pretty well.

theothermike
04-05-2008, 03:08 PM
if u really want to learn how to clean a car properly i read a 363 page article on autopia-carcare.com by one of the most renound professional cleaners who does car's before car shows inside and out, engine and undercarriage.

Read it. learn about products, steps in the order in which you should clean, and a **** load of other stuff about using the right stuff in the right places.

as a result my 1994 camry i have with a new paint job looks brand new daily and only wear on it is some slight wrinkles in the leather but ressembles that of a 2000 + leather.

Mike-

theothermike
04-05-2008, 03:09 PM
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-engine.html

specific link to engine care.

Take care

notoriousroc1
04-05-2008, 03:15 PM
if u really want to learn how to clean a car properly i read a 363 page article on autopia-carcare.com by one of the most renound professional cleaners who does car's before car shows inside and out, engine and undercarriage.

Read it. learn about products, steps in the order in which you should clean, and a **** load of other stuff about using the right stuff in the right places.

as a result my 1994 camry i have with a new paint job looks brand new daily and only wear on it is some slight wrinkles in the leather but ressembles that of a 2000 + leather.

Mike-

Do you have the link to the full 363-page article?