PDA

View Full Version : Customizing Trunk Install - False Floor

james33440
05-07-2003, 03:20 AM
I am curious on how to do this. I think that it has a real professional look. What steps would I have to take, and what materials would I need in order to have my amps and EQs to look flush with my trunk floor? Pics would be great if possible, too... :D

paikiah
05-07-2003, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by james33440
I am curious on how to do this. I think that it has a real professional look. What steps would I have to take, and what materials would I need in order to have my amps and EQs to look flush with my trunk floor? Pics would be great if possible, too... :D

Ok, first, you need a thick MDF board, if your'e gonna load stuff on top of your amps, like what I do. (obviously, not when the system's blasting)

Make a cutout with a jigsaw.

now, make another board with arms and attach your amps, xover, whatever to it and fix that onto the cutout. Make sure you take accurate measurements with the arms. It's not going to be very thick, if you are using a 3/4" MDF board as the floor.

Be aware that the size of that kind of board is gonna be heavy. I'm fixing an old worn out air suspension to my floor, so that I can have easier access to the spare, if need be.

ramos
05-07-2003, 08:28 AM
Like what he said. But I wouldn't use 3/4" it's too heavy. I would lean toward 1/2" after all it's just an amp rack. :)

james33440
05-07-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by paikiah
Ok, first, you need a thick MDF board, if your'e gonna load stuff on top of your amps, like what I do. (obviously, not when the system's blasting)

Make a cutout with a jigsaw.

now, make another board with arms and attach your amps, xover, whatever to it and fix that onto the cutout. Make sure you take accurate measurements with the arms. It's not going to be very thick, if you are using a 3/4" MDF board as the floor.

Be aware that the size of that kind of board is gonna be heavy. I'm fixing an old worn out air suspension to my floor, so that I can have easier access to the spare, if need be.

Any pics or drawings? I am having a difficult time picturing this?

ramos
05-07-2003, 05:50 PM
Please excuse my $hitty drawing :D This will either give you the general idea or confuse the living hell out of ya :)

paikiah
05-08-2003, 12:20 PM
http://gallery.caraudio.com/pp/data/501/5134DSCN1595-med.JPG

that would be the cut out from the top...

http://gallery.caraudio.com/pp/data/501/5134DSCN1598-med.JPG

this is the rear-view... the black portion is the frame with the arm. The black paint is actually spray-on damping. Hope that helps. :)

ramos
05-08-2003, 01:16 PM
ahhh much better than my crappy drawing :D :)

james33440
05-08-2003, 02:45 PM
paikiah, do you have any pics of your false floor installed? I would like to see it. Nice pics. I may even think about putting plexiglass on the holes to protect my amp and x-overs and eqs.

MikeofTulsa
05-08-2003, 07:00 PM
http://sl.wus0.com/quclk.go?rd=http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/fibrglas.htm&res=7&crid=4cbfbaae6e2ef51d&pos=1&mr=25&qu=fiberglass

should be quite helpfull....enjoy

paikiah
05-08-2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by james33440
paikiah, do you have any pics of your false floor installed? I would like to see it. Nice pics. I may even think about putting plexiglass on the holes to protect my amp and x-overs and eqs.

fitting a plexi on top of your amps will mean additional fans. It also raises the possibility of electrical noise in your system. If you insist on plexi, then get a DC brushless fan, it's supposed to make less electrical noise. Most PC fans would suffice. You could try a mesh grille, but make sure it doesn't look too tacky. It'll protect and ventilate. :)

Plexi is easier to scratch than CD's, so you gotta be really careful. I scrapped the plexi idea myself, since my parents often borrow the car, and they have a lot of luggage at times.

this is a pic of the system while I was still deciding on whether to flip the box or not. It is not flipped, but didn't take pics of it yet. Hmmm, no opinions about cleanliness, mind you. I DID say it was a test fit to see if things ran ok. The bags and stuff, they all contain audio parts.

http://gallery.caraudio.com/pp/data/2/5134DSCF0006-med.JPG

The inline fuse holder is not my main fuse. Not really anything, only to extend the power cables. The center trapdoor is where my CD changer rests. Again, the inline is not therre anymore, the ground wires have been relocated below,solid and noise-free. Subs have been switched to face the front (rearward subs gave me TOOOOO much cancellation) The amp "wings" or side covers are in place now. I was actually thinking about re-doing it all..we'll see how that one goes.

And like mike said, fiberglass. It'll look so much more professional. I just couldn't be bothered (more to being blind about fiberglass) so I made mine with MDF and carpeting. :)

paikiah
05-08-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by ramos
ahhh much better than my crappy drawing :D :)

;) I can't draw for nuts either on PC or free-hand... that's why I take pics instead..:)

I say your drawing's really good:cool:

nismboy6986
05-21-2003, 10:44 PM
the hard part to me is making all the contours for the sides of the trunk. i don't think that the whole carboard cut out thinkg would work well for me since i can't even cut window tint perfectly straight

paikiah
05-21-2003, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by nismboy6986
the hard part to me is making all the contours for the sides of the trunk. i don't think that the whole carboard cut out thinkg would work well for me since i can't even cut window tint perfectly straight

if you want it that flush with your trunk, then fiberglass is the answer. I haven't had experience with it, only resin (easy to work with, think of it as hardening play-doh).

nismboy6986
05-22-2003, 06:13 PM
i know but i don't like the idea of itching for a week. i'm really trying to figure out a install that looks sick but clean at the same time, some what simple to do (woudn't need "The Fishman" to do it) and still keeps a good amount of trunk space which is dificult to do with the funny shaped trunk of a 95 sentra

ramos
05-23-2003, 07:50 AM
You can cut MDF to match the contours. And it's not really that hard to do. Lay some cardboard out flat in your trunk. Then use either a tick wheel or a compass. And trace the shape of the sides of your trunk onto the cardboard. Then cut the cardboard out. And place it back in your trunk to check for fit. Bingo, you now have a perfect template of the curvy sides of your trunk. Now get to cutting the MDF :D :)

mblicker
05-26-2003, 11:55 PM
how do you prevent everything from rattling

paikiah
05-27-2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by mblicker
how do you prevent everything from rattling

By applying lots of damping mats (stuff like dynamat)

arc_55
06-10-2003, 02:18 PM
I have a 1991 civic and i plant on bulding my system myself but i have a qustion before i start. If i making a base board in my trunk out of high density partical board and wished to make sure it fits nice and tight and doesn;t move. is there any way i could drill it or anything without damaging my car. I was thinking to have a velcrow strip along all the edges but that sounds preety stupid, ne ideas.... i know this is a stupid question but everyone has to start from somewhere

ramos
06-10-2003, 02:31 PM
The easy way is to apply a couple dollops of silicon glue like shoe goo. THen press the board to the floor. It will hold it secure but allow you to remove if you ever need to.