PDA

View Full Version : i cant take it out!!!

Sspider
05-06-2003, 10:21 PM
i am planning on building a glassed bix taht goes with my contours...the problem is that i'm going to have to work with it in my car, and never really be able to take it out, what are your thought on something likes?

is there another way?

sspider

fantomas
05-06-2003, 10:26 PM
well...hopefully you know what you're doing so you can do a good job....cuz you had better like it. and i dont know if anyone would buy the car if you ever wanted to sell it...are you talking about the trunk, im assuming? make sure you still have room for the spare.

Gauntlet
05-06-2003, 10:30 PM
As long as it's not a leased car/you don't plan on selling it.....then go for it.

evo2k3
05-06-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Sspider
i am planning on building a glassed bix taht goes with my contours...the problem is that i'm going to have to work with it in my car, and never really be able to take it out, what are your thought on something likes?

is there another way?

sspider
do you plan on damanging / altering the interior pannels? if not you can always cut the cut out.....and it you are, and need to sell it you can cut the box out and reglass the pannels to make it look relativley stock.

awalbert88
05-06-2003, 11:39 PM
I'd suggest if you have to remove panels to keep them intact somewhere so you can replace them if you decide to sell the car. Also, try to build the box in such a way that it can be cut apart and removed later if need be, so avoid locking anything down in a non-reversable manner.

ramos
05-07-2003, 07:27 AM
There is nothing wrong with building it to the car. If you decide you want it out later. You can always take a saw and cut it into pieces. Just leave the trunk open and the windows down while the glass is curing. That will help cut down on the smell some. :)

Sspider
05-07-2003, 11:24 AM
its going into the hatch of my 94 golf, since i dont want to loose all space, i figured i could work with the contours to gain the extra needed space...but i dont really kno what type of design i want..any suggestions on that...?i am building a box for 2 DD 3512's powered by one RF bd1500.1

Sspider
05-07-2003, 11:27 AM
ohh yea, and my car is really geared more towards looks...
so i would like the system setup to be looking real g0od but nothing crazy...
the most spcae i can give up is around 3-4 cubes with a box, now with the added space of the contours i dont kno yet, but i cant imagine it being to much more....

so with that in mind can yall give me ideas for the design..

tyia

sspider

ramos
05-07-2003, 01:41 PM
how about something with the subs in the corners toward the seats with the amp in the middle. Instead of using a solid front baffle. You could glass mounting rings in for the subs. That way you could angle them towards the center of the car. For that little bit of extra cool factor :)

Sspider
05-07-2003, 01:54 PM
u mean something like this?

Sspider
05-07-2003, 01:56 PM
wait, kind alike that, but instead of the subs in th emiddle they would be in the corner angled toward the front....
am i following?

how would that sound with the subs facing that way, isn't it better to have them facing the back?
or are the rules different in a hatch?

sspider

ramos
05-07-2003, 02:25 PM
Excuse my crappy a$$ drawing. :D Something like this

Sspider
05-07-2003, 03:05 PM
i'm alittle confused..
is the box being mounted to the side of the hatch..

ramos
05-07-2003, 03:18 PM
Yeah. I just can't draw very well. :D The sides would be shaped to fit your hatch. :)

Sspider
05-07-2003, 03:51 PM
now, that a great idea, and i really like, especially the subs angled to the center, but i dont think i'll get enought interior space, any thoughts on that?

sspider

ramos
05-07-2003, 04:32 PM
Make yourself a cardboard template. it's pretty simple. Layout some cardboard on the floor of your hatch. Then take a thin piece of 1" x "1 scrap that is about 12" long. Round one end of so that it will slide along the interior panels of your car without snagging. Then drill a hole about 6" away from that end. just big enough for a pencil to fit in snugly. Now take your wonderful tracing tool you just made. :D And with the rounded point against the interior panels. Follow along the contours keeping the tool perpindicular to the panel. What you will have just done is create a line that you can now cut out of the cardboard. And it should perfectly match your interior panels. Now do the same to the other side. Once both sides are done. You can take those two pieces. And put them on there respective sides of the hatch floor. Then tape some cardboard together to make the floor section. This will give you the exact length and depth of your enclsoure. now you can figure out the how high you want to take it up. Then you can pretty much guess where we go from here once you have all three dimensions. If you have uneven sides which I imagine you will. Just take the average of the dimesnions to use for your calculations. :)

Sspider
05-07-2003, 10:01 PM
wow...dat is all i have to say...
thanks i will do that... and work some numbers out...
with that out the way, will the position of the subs in the hatch make audiable differences?

sspider

fantomas
05-07-2003, 10:06 PM
well...i would think that having the subs face the same direction is ideal, unless somehow you aimed them to where you're sitting. the reason: the sound waves will either cancel eachother out (causing a valley) or amplify eachother (causing a peak). peaks and valleys are not the way to go in terms of sound. its impossible to tell which frequencies will be cancelled out and which will be amplified without actually installing them.

however, as you said before...you're going more for looks, and to be honest with you, as long as they aren't facing eachother (the subs) you shouldn't notice too much of a difference. take pictures of your install!

Sspider
05-08-2003, 01:04 AM
as soon as we got some consitant 68+ degree weather around here i will start...
thanks for the help yall...

sspider