PDA

View Full Version : Does a shallow box negatively affect acoustics?

HmoobVaj
04-01-2008, 06:19 PM
This will be for a single 10" Image Dynamics IDQ v.3. The sub has a mounting depth of 5.75". Because I will be hanging the box from underneath the rear deck I want it as shallow as possible so that it wont hang too low. Outside dimensions are 24" L x 14" H x 8"D. Using 3/4" mdf will leave 6.5" of internal depth with an overall internal volume of 1.1 cubic ft. I believe this is within ID's specs.

Would having just .75" clearance between the magnet and the back of the box negatively affect the sound?

Mr Cabinetry
04-01-2008, 06:31 PM
This will be for a single 10" Image Dynamics IDQ v.3. The sub has a mounting depth of 5.75". Because I will be hanging the box from underneath the rear deck I want it as shallow as possible so that it wont hang too low. Outside dimensions are 24" L x 14" H x 8"D. Using 3/4" mdf will leave 6.5" of internal depth with an overall internal volume of 1.1 cubic ft. I believe this is within ID's specs.

Would having just .75" clearance between the magnet and the back of the box negatively affect the sound?

Nope.