PDA

View Full Version : New Box Design, Need Opinions

IDSkoT
04-01-2008, 03:32 AM
Okay, I have two 10" GTO1002D's [JBL's attempt at subs. You can scoure all of the internet and not find one review-- so I guess I feel special that I'm the only person that has 'em... :rolleyes:]

Anyway, 250-RMS, 2-Ohm DVC wired in parrallel to 2-Ohm off a Boss 1200M [600x1 @ 2-ohm]. They hit hard enough, I suppose. It manages to rattle my mirrors, but I don't really like that. It doesn't sound that good, and I'm just gunna blame it on my box. So, I'm gunna re-do my box and hope it sounds better, and if not... RE here I come!

I was thinking a simple ported box. These subs are 1.25Ft^3 for Ported. I'm thinking about a dual-chambered box, 1.25ft^3 tuned to...40 Hz? It's for a DD, so I was gunna do somewhere between like 35-ish to 45-ish. In that range.

My only curiousity is where to put the subs / port.

I have a '98 Mustang Coupe, and as of yet I haven't matted anything. And I don't really plan on it, since I'm trying to save up to put a down payment on an '01 3-series (BMW :D:D:D)

And if that doesn't work out, I'm going to make another sealed box. But which way should I put the subs? ATM They're facing in the cab of my car. I can't really "Just test it" since... yeah. I'm odd and I have this thing with making my boxes flush with the back of my car so when the seats fold down you see no extra space around the sides.

BrianChia
04-01-2008, 04:19 AM
whats your current box?

DBDRAGGUY
04-01-2008, 04:36 AM
Build the correct enclosure and tune it to 30-35 hz. JBL has been making subwoofers longer than most of the main stream favorites today. I have owned quite a few and have never had anything bad to say about them. Good stuff, in the right enclosure you will be happy with the GTO series.

IDSkoT
04-02-2008, 09:01 PM
whats your current box?

Sealed Dual-Chambered .75Ft^3. But it was my first box... so it was constructed moderately... I siliconed the inside all up. But, Idk.

Build the correct enclosure and tune it to 30-35 hz. JBL has been making subwoofers longer than most of the main stream favorites today. I have owned quite a few and have never had anything bad to say about them. Good stuff, in the right enclosure you will be happy with the GTO series.

I've come to realize that it wasn't my box, or my subs. But my mid-range. They're garbage. I'm getting a new pair but still wanna re-do my box, and make it nice and carpet it and such.

They hit surprisingly hard for only getting ~300 RMS.
They shake my side view mirrors at like 75%, and at like 30% they shake my rear view mirror (which is bo-bo! It always falls off :crap:)

skateboardkid
04-02-2008, 09:13 PM
edited - for unecessary bashing of BOSS product

port your subs and tune it low it will help with efficency and really maximize the power you have to work with.

BrianChia
04-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Upgrade the amp and put them in a low tuned ported box. :)