PDA

View Full Version : can i temporarily sub other Xovers for my CMXs?

fatryan
04-01-2008, 12:23 AM
so i FINALLY am getting my CMX kicks back after rainbow f*ckin around with the warranty for like 6 or so months. im pretty sure the xover ARE functioning but they were damaged also (didnt realize until recently), so since i still have the warranty id like to exchange them. but god knows its probably going to be several months till i see them again. so would it be possible to sub other Xovers in their place till i get mine back (im assuming i wont find someone selling ONLY their CMX Xovers)? cant go active b/c i dont have the spare channels or the processing to do so.

fatryan
04-01-2008, 02:01 PM
bump

tsenfw
04-01-2008, 02:14 PM
Best thing to do would be to find the literature on both crossovers to find out what the crossover points are. If they are the same or very close then yah you should be able to swap them.

fatryan
04-01-2008, 02:33 PM
so the crossover points is the only worry?

tsenfw
04-01-2008, 02:34 PM
I was bored at work. Looking here:
http://car.rainbow-audio.de/products/details.php?lan=2&pro=1&lin=6&art=231160

And clicking the technical data link on the lower right looks like your crossover point on the cmx 265 crossovers is 3200hz.

Yeah, your only worry should be the crossover point (assuming your using a HPF off your HU before the passive crossover). You don't want the speakers playing frequencies they can't handle. Some sets will have different crossover points.

fatryan
04-01-2008, 02:41 PM
I was bored at work. Looking here:
http://car.rainbow-audio.de/products/details.php?lan=2&pro=1&lin=6&art=231160

And clicking the technical data link on the lower right looks like your crossover point on the cmx 265 crossovers is 3200hz.

Yeah, your only worry should be the crossover point (assuming your using a HPF off your HU before the passive crossover). You don't want the speakers playing frequencies they can't handle. Some sets will have different crossover points.
wtf, i could find that earlier lol. well what about the slope? impedance? i never quite understood how you can take 2 drivers that are 4ohm and 100wrms each and put them together with a xover to have a final load of 4ohm and final power handling of 100wrms...

tsenfw
04-01-2008, 02:56 PM
wtf, i could find that earlier lol. well what about the slope? impedance? i never quite understood how you can take 2 drivers that are 4ohm and 100wrms each and put them together with a xover to have a final load of 4ohm and final power handling of 100wrms...

That "technical data" link on the page I linked says: 2 x 12 dB/Oct crossover slope.

From what I was told in threads here, presumably the crossover splits input power by only sending the high frequencies to the tweeter and the lower ones to the mids, resulting in only a 4ohm load. There's probably a very tiny unnoticeable loss of power I would think though.

tsenfw
04-01-2008, 03:03 PM
What set of crossovers are you planning to swap in temporarily, let compare them.

fatryan
04-01-2008, 03:10 PM
That "technical data" link on the page I linked says: 2 x 12 dB/Oct crossover slope.

From what I was told in threads here, presumably the crossover splits input power by only sending the high frequencies to the tweeter and the lower ones to the mids, resulting in only a 4ohm load. There's probably a very tiny unnoticeable loss of power I would think though.
well ive heard its something like 30% loss actually

fatryan
04-01-2008, 03:11 PM
What set of crossovers are you planning to swap in temporarily, let compare them.
i dunno, havent looked for any yet. i wanted to see if it was possible first.

tsenfw
04-01-2008, 03:15 PM
I have some from my pioneer rev component set. Crossover point is 3000kz, I'll have too look up the slope though. You can borrow them if you want just pay the shipping.

tsenfw
04-01-2008, 03:26 PM
Whoops ... just looked it up these cross at 5kz. It be fine for your tweeters but don't know if you kicks can handle that.

fatryan
04-01-2008, 03:27 PM
yeah i think thats a bit too off. thanx though man :)

not much in the classifieds. perhaps some type X xovers. i dunno their crossover frequency or anything else for that matter. alpines website sux.

tsenfw
04-01-2008, 03:36 PM
I know the rsd's cross at 3kz, that's what I got the rev's confused with. You might be able to find some of those if you post a WTB.

fatryan
04-01-2008, 04:02 PM
yeah, i thin im gonna run this buy aaron at premier audio first though.

belbo
04-01-2008, 05:01 PM
I would laugh at your comments except for the fact that it took them about the same amount of time to replace a tweeter under warranty for me. Good luck.

so i FINALLY am getting my CMX kicks back after rainbow f*ckin around with the warranty for like 6 or so months. im pretty sure the xover ARE functioning but they were damaged also (didnt realize until recently), so since i still have the warranty id like to exchange them. but god knows its probably going to be several months till i see them again. so would it be possible to sub other Xovers in their place till i get mine back (im assuming i wont find someone selling ONLY their CMX Xovers)? cant go active b/c i dont have the spare channels or the processing to do so.

fatryan
04-01-2008, 10:53 PM
I would laugh at your comments except for the fact that it took them about the same amount of time to replace a tweeter under warranty for me. Good luck.
yeah, and the fact that virtually NO ONE sells rainbow makes it that much more of a pain in the ***.

Aaron doesnt like the idea of running other Xovers, so i guess i gotta try to find some CMX xovers or just wait :(

NE14MX
04-02-2008, 09:26 AM
I'm going to be selling my set of CMX kicks if you're interested. I don;t want to have to wait on parts or warranty again. The two mids and two x-overs are preactically new. One mid and x-over have never been wired while the other mid and x-over have about 5 hours playing time, were gently installed and never abused. One tweeter is new, never seen power but the other tweeter is bent from being caught in the door jamb. I don't want to have to buy another tweeter and wait who knows how long. The bent tweeter plays and I can't really tell a difference in its sound from before. I bough tthe set new and still have hardware and everything. LMK if interested.

yeah, and the fact that virtually NO ONE sells rainbow makes it that much more of a pain in the ***.

Aaron doesnt like the idea of running other Xovers, so i guess i gotta try to find some CMX xovers or just wait :(