PDA

View Full Version : Help with box for 95 Olds Aurora...

Aurorav8
05-05-2003, 08:44 PM
I'm trying to figure out how I'm supposed to go about building this box for my car. I'd like something that will look half way decent when I open my trunk, but, the only solution I have come up with is more or less a rectangular sized box...which I guess with my limited experience I should probably stick to.

Does this sound like it will be alright to build?

Width 19"
Height 15"
Depth 24"
Thickness of .75

It came out to 3.07617 cu. ft. sealed.

Would this be alright for a 12" Brahma?

Or is the box way off?

Here is the area I have to work with, hard to relay exactly how much room there is by a photo, but it gives you an idea. Anything special you would do that would look nice, and hopefully preserve some room in my trunk?

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/p31140cda31fc7d2357044ed192135ead/fc347dec.jpg

gellis4
05-05-2003, 09:50 PM
well, w/ a box that big, you should take a peice of like 5-6" PVC pipe, and port the box to like 30htz. I'm assuming that it would be louder than a sealed box. :). And you probably won't have to make a box that big for only 1 speaker, cut it in half, and you should have more than enough airspace for the brahama sealed.

Aurorav8
05-05-2003, 11:51 PM
Didn't realize I didn't need that big of a box. I talked to a rep. for Adire and he said make the enclosure anywhere from 3.0 cu. ft. to 8.0 cu. ft. ported?

Aurorav8
05-06-2003, 07:53 PM
Nobody has any ideas for a custom box? I changed my set up, so I am going to stay around 1.2~1.5 cu. ft.

mgaidica
05-06-2003, 09:38 PM
auroras have huge trunks, u can do a lot wih them. I dont really have one to look at, just create something, use ur imagination and creativity:)

Aurorav8
05-07-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by mgaidica
auroras have huge trunks, u can do a lot wih them. I dont really have one to look at, just create something, use ur imagination and creativity:)

Scrap the custom box idea...I'm just looking for a box with approx. 1.3 cu. ft. of space. But am unsure about proper box dimensions?

Can the box be more or less square?

Rectangular better for a single 12?

I'm just lost on proper dimensions?

tommyk90
05-07-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Aurorav8
Scrap the custom box idea...I'm just looking for a box with approx. 1.3 cu. ft. of space. But am unsure about proper box dimensions?

Can the box be more or less square?

Rectangular better for a single 12?

I'm just lost on proper dimensions?

Why don't you just build a box? It's not hard. Here's a site that'll help you with dimensions.

http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/spboxnew2.htm

Aurorav8
05-07-2003, 04:09 PM
I think you misunderstood me...I still plan on building my own box, but instead of making a "custom" box, as in one to fit just my trunk, I will make just a general box.

Just wasn't sure on what kind of dimensions are the best?

Also, If I were to go, say 18" Wide, does the woofer need to be centered in the middle of it? Or can it go off to one side? This would be in a selaed enclosure?

mgaidica
05-07-2003, 04:16 PM
l x w x h / 1728= cu ft. a box mad to fit ur trunk would be custom.. to me at least. A rectagle shape will work, along with a lot of others, sub can be possitioned however u want it, just make sure u got at least 2" from the back of the box to the back of the sub.

tommyk90
05-07-2003, 05:07 PM
I think you misunderstood me...I still plan on building my own box, but instead of making a "custom" box, as in one to fit just my trunk, I will make just a general box.

Just wasn't sure on what kind of dimensions are the best?

Also, If I were to go, say 18" Wide, does the woofer need to be centered in the middle of it? Or can it go off to one side? This would be in a selaed enclosure?

Oh, oh. I get what you mean. I just think that any box you build is custom. Well, that site will help you determine what kind of dimensions will get you the airspace you need. As for sub placement, it doesn't have to be in the middle like mgaidica said.

Aurorav8
05-07-2003, 05:19 PM
That web site was great! Alot of information. I think I will just go ahead and mount it in the center, for simplicity.

I didn't realize I didn't have to go that deep. The dimensions for the B12 are like 7.25 deep. So my box won't have to be as deep as I though it would be.

The only dimension I am sure of at this point is height....I can't go much bigger than 13" high, to get it to fit.

Is 13" going to leave me enough room to mount the driver?

tommyk90
05-07-2003, 05:26 PM
That web site was great! Alot of information. I think I will just go ahead and mount it in the center, for simplicity.

I didn't realize I didn't have to go that deep. The dimensions for the B12 are like 7.25 deep. So my box won't have to be as deep as I though it would be.

The only dimension I am sure of at this point is height....I can't go much bigger than 13" high, to get it to fit.

Is 13" going to leave me enough room to mount the driver?

Oooo, i don't thingk 13" is enough seeing as the wood is gonna be a total of 1.25". Maybe you can mount the driver on an angle? That wouldn't hurt anything and would let it fit with the 13" height.

EDIT: Theres a program on that site for angled boxes too.:)

Aurorav8
05-07-2003, 05:34 PM
I seen the program for angled boxes...I just have doubts that I could successfully build one, seeing how this is my first attempt at building a box.

You think 14" tall would fit? That's going to take some manipulation to get it in the trunk, but I think it will work.

tommyk90
05-07-2003, 05:39 PM
I seen the program for angled boxes...I just have doubts that I could successfully build one, seeing how this is my first attempt at building a box.

You think 14" tall would fit? That's going to take some manipulation to get it in the trunk, but I think it will work.

14" is still cutting it pretty close, but it might work. Just remember, measure twice and cut once. Angled boxes aren't that tough, just requires a little more patience and a little more use of your noggin.

Aurorav8
05-07-2003, 05:42 PM
Using my noggin lately has been a tough task..lol. But I may see what I can come up with as far as an angled box goes.