PDA

View Full Version : Questions on custom box creation...

nyclancer
05-05-2003, 08:40 PM
A member of a different site I am a member of is creating this custom box for his car. Since I have the same car I am going to create the same since its ideal for alot of trunk space.

My questions is where would I found the positive/negative terminal hook up? I did a search on the site but wasn't too sure what topic it would be under...

Also, where is the best place to find cheap carpeting by a small roll? Home Depot?

nyclancer
05-05-2003, 08:42 PM
Here is what the box will look like.

paikiah
05-05-2003, 08:47 PM
The terminals can be anywhere...

you can either use a cup or simply a hole for the wires to come through (don't forget to use silicone).

I can see that you've got a bit of space toward the right side of the box. (aft of the car) You could place your terminal cup there. Terminal cups are already sunken in, so it won't protrude, only the terminals themselves.

nyclancer
05-06-2003, 12:09 AM
anyone know any sites where i can get the terminals??

paikiah
05-06-2003, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by Jmac
Don't use a terminal cup if you're going to be using over 1,000 watts ...

hmm, this is something new to me...

why can't I use a terminal cup for a box over 1000w? I mean, I don't think the cups would be blown out or something...

andy00018
05-06-2003, 01:15 AM
Don't use a terminal cup if you're going to be using over 1,000 watts ...
Yea iam curious too now???

andy00018
05-06-2003, 01:23 AM
Most of them flex under the pressure ... Which means less SPL and worse SQ ...
You mean the Plastic literally flexes???

paikiah
05-06-2003, 01:23 AM
Most of them flex under the pressure ... Which means less SPL and worse SQ ...

but what if I were to strengthen the cups using fiberglass or something? Better yet, get a 3/4" plexi, drill holes for terminal posts? That wouldn't have any problems, would it?

paikiah
05-06-2003, 01:31 AM
Yes ... 1/4" plastic doesn't exactly have the same rigidity as 3/4" MDF ...

But if it's a small O type of cup... there would be very little to flex...

my current one is fairly large... about the size of a dollar bill, maybe slightly wider.. it's made for 2 DVC subs (8posts). I didn't order that, but they sent me the cup anyway.

WEll, I'm not too worried about flexing my cups with a mere 200+watts on my twin 8 ohm 10"..;)