PDA

View Full Version : 880prs pico fuse

skydeaner
03-28-2008, 09:33 PM
Just to let you know, i successfuly did the pico fuse mod with running 1 strand of copper from a stranded copy wire across the points.

The reason i needed to do this is because my midwoofer amp wasn't turning on, so i was disconnecting the speaker leads to it and touched the screwdriver from the speaker lead to the case of the amp (with the car on because i was too lazy to go from the backseat up to the front) and then the horrible hum came.

Pico fuse fix was very easy as all the pictures show. Works like new now. Everyone complains about it, but i think since i didn't fry the deck it is well worth it. Not to mention there is no way to tell that i busted into the deck so my warranty is still intact.

Oh yeah and the midwoofer amp problem ended up being gunk on the fuse that goes into the amp, so if i woulda just checked the fuse in the first place i wouldn't have had to go through the hastle. But live and learn i guess. I just didn't think gunk would/could build up while it was still in the ****in amp lol.

tcguy85
03-28-2008, 09:40 PM
yea i tore mine apart and let my dad solder a strand of copper across my pico fuse. taking it apart was cake, the soldering looked tricky cause it's so small, but like i said i had my dad do the soldering. the 880 looks pretty inside though. :)

skydeaner
03-28-2008, 09:45 PM
you ****ed up your pico too? I didn't even know. We both have rsd's and love them so i pretty much stalk your threads lol. You now have the dd amps which are just bliss though and i have seperates.

tcguy85
03-28-2008, 09:50 PM
you ****ed up your pico too? I didn't even know. We both have rsd's and love them so i pretty much stalk your threads lol. You now have the dd amps which are just bliss though and i have seperates.

well when i put the DD amps in a had a noise issue. i had a pretty bad alt whine through the tweeters. tried everything, at one point figured i had to have somehow blown the pico. i did the fix but the noise was still there. problm ended up being ****** rca cables. but on the way to figuring that out i did the pico fuse fix. lol

skydeaner
03-28-2008, 10:32 PM
dude, you should find someone that has a best buy discount. My "relative" (his relativity to me shall not be revealed so he doesn't get fired lol) works there and i got some rocketfish home audio cables from there, they are ******, they are multiple shielded, and they have a braided loom, kinda like chinese finger traps on the outside so they are abrasion resistant, ****** stuff and to be honest with the discount the 16ftish (might have been 15 or 18 ot whatever i don't remember) only cost like 5 bucks a piece.

tcguy85
03-28-2008, 10:36 PM
dude, you should find someone that has a best buy discount. My "relative" (his relativity to me shall not be revealed so he doesn't get fired lol) works there and i got some rocketfish home audio cables from there, they are ******, they are multiple shielded, and they have a braided loom, kinda like chinese finger traps on the outside so they are abrasion resistant, ****** stuff and to be honest with the discount the 16ftish (might have been 15 or 18 ot whatever i don't remember) only cost like 5 bucks a piece.

hmmm sounds good. but i went with the knukoncepts krystal kables and it solved my problem. :)

how are the rsd's treatin ya active? what points and slopes you using on the 880?

nismos14
03-29-2008, 08:26 AM
DId you take pics? or just go off the pics on diyma?

tcguy85
03-29-2008, 08:35 AM
for me i used the pics on diyma. but the problem i had didn't end up being the 880 anyway. but at least i did the fix. :)

nismos14
03-29-2008, 08:38 AM
True, I think if I get a 800prs I will do the fix right away, regardless of if it happens or not... lol.

jrwalte
03-29-2008, 09:46 AM
True, I think if I get a 800prs I will do the fix right away, regardless of if it happens or not... lol.

It happened on my 800PRS. After reading online I found that my friend who was helping me to install didn't follow all the necessary safety precautions when messing with the RCAs with a Pioneer. Like disconnecting the negative!

I've sent the 800 back to my insurance company for a replacement (my 880 was stolen). I plan on creating a second ground close to the HU this time and I will always disconnect the negative. If it blows again I plan on trying out the PICO fix on the 880 (which is also getting noise) I have left since the 800 faceplate works on it. This way I have one to screw up :)

jrwalte
03-29-2008, 09:51 AM
If you connect another source (laptop) to the RCAs on the HU side and it works without noise and install a different HU with no noise, it's most likely the PICO issue, right?

skydeaner
03-29-2008, 09:30 PM
most likely yeah

tcguy85
03-29-2008, 09:48 PM
If you connect another source (laptop) to the RCAs on the HU side and it works without noise and install a different HU with no noise, it's most likely the PICO issue, right?

very good possibility. :(

TrIgZ
04-12-2008, 02:37 AM
i have horrible noise comming out of my speakers and my subs arent playing at all. its the pico fuse right?

nismos14
04-12-2008, 09:56 AM
The sub issue is something else, the whine yes.

TrIgZ
04-18-2008, 10:25 AM
wut causes the pico fuse to blow? that way it dont happen again. im getting mine fixed for free all you need to do is call pioneer and fax them a reciept. u have a 2 year warranty on all premier hu's.

dman4486
04-18-2008, 10:33 AM
i have pics from when i did mine, so ill post them when i get home:D

nismos14
04-18-2008, 10:35 AM
wut causes the pico fuse to blow? that way it dont happen again. im getting mine fixed for free all you need to do is call pioneer and fax them a reciept. u have a 2 year warranty on all premier hu's.

I hope you bought it authorized, if you buy it un-authorized they may well keep your HU.

TrIgZ
04-18-2008, 08:54 PM
its a store by me that fixes them. u get a RA# from pioneer and then they fix it and pioneer pays them. wut causes it to blow tho?

ebrunn
04-18-2008, 11:37 PM
i have horrible noise comming out of my speakers and my subs arent playing at all. its the pico fuse right?

I had the same problem with mine. When I switched to NW mode, my subs didnt work. Also got a turn on/turn off bump. Brought in it to get fixed, said they had to replace the fuse. Part number on the invoice was CEK1286. Hope that helps.

TrIgZ
05-05-2008, 03:32 PM
ok im going to pick my HU up tomarrow from getting fixed. Wut causes this to happen so that it dont happen again? i was without it for like a week and half cause i couldnt find my reciept, and i had this ****** JVC someone let me borrow and it was hell. i need to know how to prevent this from happening again haha thanks

dman4486
05-05-2008, 04:59 PM
ok im going to pick my HU up tomarrow from getting fixed. Wut causes this to happen so that it dont happen again? i was without it for like a week and half cause i couldnt find my reciept, and i had this ****** JVC someone let me borrow and it was hell. i need to know how to prevent this from happening again haha thanks

make sure the chassis of the unit is grounded, and be sure to pull the battery negative before working on anything and replace it after you finish you install/work

TrIgZ
05-06-2008, 12:52 PM
wut do you mean by grounding the chasis isnt it grounded in the harness or so i have to ground it again off a screw on the chasis

dman4486
05-06-2008, 01:25 PM
wut do you mean by grounding the chasis isnt it grounded in the harness or so i have to ground it again off a screw on the chasis

run another wire from a screw on the chassis to ground