PDA

View Full Version : Sound deadening in a ported box

fozzymuphet
03-28-2008, 07:50 PM
I'm building a fiberglass enclosure for my 2g mitsubishi eclipse and I was wondering if anyone knew the effects of putting sound deadening material inside of the enclosure itself. I asked the guys at the local shop if they've ever tried it and i was just wondering what the effect might be. I thought it might be cool.

Also, I'm using the spare tire compartment and I'm putting MDF on the top so it's flat, just as it would be if there were no sub at all (except for the sub bolted into the top of course). Is there any special tricks to securing the fiberglass to the MDF or will the resin itself hold good enough?

And as a final question, is it a good Idea to do a baffle in this type of enclosure and what thickness of mdf should I use? (for both the baffle and the top plate)

fozzymuphet
03-29-2008, 03:24 PM
Why is it that nobody responds on this forum? Do I need to add pictures or what? I've posted a bunch and i never get any responses.....I feel like I need to find a new forum

krisfnbz
03-29-2008, 05:18 PM
^^this forum is only good at certain times. Their are alot of BS posts non related to car audio.

Random1010
03-29-2008, 05:24 PM
use 3/4 in mdf

WrenchGuy
03-29-2008, 05:27 PM
Join them together with resin and cat hair mixed. 3/4 for everything.

I've deadened the inside of an enclosure and it seems to take away resonance from the walls.

fozzymuphet
03-30-2008, 03:43 AM
Cool, well that answers that question.

I did go out and buy 3/4" MDF. I got a sheet for $24 from home depot. Not to bad I guess. I cut the first layer of the top out today. My back was killing me so I decided to wait until tomorrow for the second layer.

I also bought a router and some bits for that so I can round out the edges of the MDF so it looks nice.

Then I went to my buddies shop and he answered a few more of my questions and said that the fiberglass will adhesive itself to the mdf but I'll do the kitty hair too since I have it.

I also scored a free circle jig from the guy. He had an old one that he replaced with an aluminum one. Ohh and he might give me a job as well.

Today was good.

So I think I'll take some pics tomorrow and start a worklog.

helotaxi
03-31-2008, 06:58 AM
There is no point to adding deadener inside the enclosure. It won't make it any stiffer and stiffness is what kills resonance best.