PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the best 6x8" speakers (current Infinity kappas **** IMO)

Mach1threat
03-28-2008, 11:01 AM
I have a 2004 mustang mach 1, without the mach 460 stereo system...

No matter how I adjust my High pass filter, EQ's, gains & crossovers my current infinity kappas sound like crap other than the tweeter. There is basically NO midbass, and compared to my old system in my old car (Pioneer HU & 6x8's) it just makes my ears bleed especially if I do not have the subwoofers In or on. I have dynamatt xtreme on the doors also to try to help with rattles and midbass.

I listen to mainly Rock & Rap...So what I would like is four 6x8 speakers that will work good with two 12's. I do not want to drill holes for a tweeter or make any changes that cannot be changed back to stock.

Cost is NOT an option!

Here is a link for some 6x8's that crutchfield has:

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Group/ProductMenu.aspx?g=52200&c=3&tp=92&avf=N

I was eyeing this pair up, let me know what you think!

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=52200&i=500SPR57C&c=3&tp=92&avf=N

Thanks in advance for your help!

tRidiot
03-28-2008, 11:05 AM
Pioneer Revs have a great rep for this kind of thing... drop in performance.

And your links don't work.

explorer2
03-28-2008, 11:07 AM
I have two sets of diamonds that I was very impressed with for the time they were installed. Pm me if your interested. Although they sound great, they cant compete with a set of good components.

jco1385
03-28-2008, 11:08 AM
round > oval

Mach1threat
03-28-2008, 11:16 AM
round > oval

Oh, Does that make a big difference? I noticed crutchfield says 5-1/4" component speaker's seem to fit.

So 5 1/4 > 6x8?

Alpine SPR-13C, & JL Audio VR525-CXi look good?

jco1385
03-28-2008, 11:19 AM
make sure you know that you will need some sort of baffle to go from a 6x8 to a 5.25

Mach1threat
03-28-2008, 11:23 AM
make sure you know that you will need some sort of baffle to go from a 6x8 to a 5.25

Oh ok, I just checked the install guide for crutchfield, they have me covered...

Use the factory speaker brackets.
Use the factory speaker grilles.
A speaker adapter bracket is required, and it's included free with your purchase

DejaWiz
03-28-2008, 07:21 PM
A good set of 6x8's will do just fine. Pioneer REVs or the new D series are worth a look.

snelllevi07
03-29-2008, 01:31 PM
What About Boston's S85's? I've heard good about them...

LaserRed38
03-30-2008, 01:48 PM
STOP!

Everyone is just throwing info at you. First of all, don't bother ordering speakers from Crutchfield. HUs are one thing because of all the stuff and tech support they throw in, but other than that order elsewhere for cheaper (for example woofersetc.com).

Second, it is very easy to fit 6.5 comps in the doors. You won't get anymore midbass out of a 5.25 woofer compared to a 5x7 version of the same speaker. What are your amps and what subs are you using? Post everything in your system so we can make a better recommendation. BTW, I thought all the Mach 1s came with the 460 system? Guess not, but I think every one I have seen for sale did, so your car might be really rare. If cost is no option, there are SO many choices out there, but we need to know what the rest of your system consists of (exact model numbers).

Nevermind, just saw your sig, but actually still post the exact model numbers. Did you order all your stuff from Crutchfield btw? Or get it at BB/CC? Where did you hear about Ascendant Audio? I'd think if you know about them, you would have better/different stuff for the rest of your system...

DejaWiz
03-31-2008, 10:24 AM
1. Everyone is just throwing info at you.

2. First of all, don't bother ordering speakers from Crutchfield. HUs are one thing because of all the stuff and tech support they throw in, but other than that order elsewhere for cheaper (for example woofersetc.com).

3. Second, it is very easy to fit 6.5 comps in the doors. You won't get anymore midbass out of a 5.25 woofer compared to a 5x7 version of the same speaker.

4. Or get it at BB/CC? Where did you hear about Ascendant Audio? I'd think if you know about them, you would have better/different stuff for the rest of your system...

1. Makes sense since he asked. What are we supposed to throw at him? Monkey poo?

2. Agreed.

3. I agree what 6.5 comps would fit, but they probably won't be an easy drop-in solution. A bit of fabricating to fit the mids and tweeters will be needed.

4. It's quite possible he had all his equipment before coming to this (or another) forum and learning about Ascendant Audio. Which is probably the case. Probably a good 95% of members here haven't heard of 95% of the brands that are out there until doing so.

Mach1threat - I'm going to stick with my recommendation for the old REV or new D-series coaxs as a replacement for the Kappas. Might prove to be all that the OP desires to fix the issue since he already has the doors deadened and an amp in place. If not, then a good set of comps would be the next step.

Mach1threat
03-31-2008, 02:42 PM
Ok, thanks for all the replies. My mach1 had the mach460 stereo stock, but i removed whole system because i was hoping for better sound, and that amp rack was a PITA & heavy. I heard of AA from an old board that I used to frequent, http://www.3.8mustang.com/forum/ . Now that I have better pay, i would like to probly replace the head unit and 6x8's for the time being. The bass is holding up better than expected. My equipment is as follows:

Panasonic CQ-C8803U Head unit

Kicker KQ9 Equalizer

Kenwood KAC-8401 4-channel amp - (60 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms (90 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms)
180 watts RMS x 2 bridged output at 4 ohms (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)
2-, 3-, or 4-channel output)

MTX Thunder 801D Mono Amplifier (800 watts RMS at 2 ohms)

Two 12" Ascendant Audio Atlas Subs

4 guage Power wire to a fused distribution block giving two 8 guage power cables to both amps, 4 guage ground for both amps ~ 3 foot long. Speakers have 14 guage wire, and subwoofers have 10 guage wire.

DejaWiz
03-31-2008, 03:14 PM
Ever considered running active?

Get a Pioneer DEH-P880PRS or the new DEH-P800PRS (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/Source/CD-Players/Premier/DEH-P800PRS), use the built in crossovers, and run a good set of comps up front to run off your 4 channel, like the Pioneer TS-C720PRS (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/Speakers/PRS-Series/TS-C720PRS). (nice review here (http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showpost.php?p=75125&postcount=21), and keep in mind these guys are hard-core SQ guys). Ditch the rear speakers.

Just an idea, and if you don't want to go that route, maybe replace the Kappas all around with the new D-series (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/Speakers/D-Series).

Gary S
03-31-2008, 09:47 PM
Image Dynamics has a great set of 6X9 comps in the XS series.

LaserRed38
04-01-2008, 02:58 AM
1. Makes sense since he asked. What are we supposed to throw at him? Monkey poo?

2. Agreed.

3. I agree what 6.5 comps would fit, but they probably won't be an easy drop-in solution. A bit of fabricating to fit the mids and tweeters will be needed.

4. It's quite possible he had all his equipment before coming to this (or another) forum and learning about Ascendant Audio. Which is probably the case. Probably a good 95% of members here haven't heard of 95% of the brands that are out there until doing so.

Mach1threat - I'm going to stick with my recommendation for the old REV or new D-series coaxs as a replacement for the Kappas. Might prove to be all that the OP desires to fix the issue since he already has the doors deadened and an amp in place. If not, then a good set of comps would be the next step.

Everyone was saying different stuff that probably was confusing. I have a Mustang and anyone who has made 5x7 or 6x9 adapters for 6.5s would know it is VERY easy. I have had very good luck mounting the mids in the doors and tweeters on the kicks aimed at the dome light. I would recommend this, and as stated above (if you have the time) go active with some comps. Or...you could bridge the amp and power a nicer set of comps passive. You really do not need rear speakers in this car. I took mine out. Let more bass in...and no more pulling the sound to the rear.

DejaWiz
04-01-2008, 12:49 PM
and as stated above (if you have the time) go active with some comps. Or...you could bridge the amp and power a nicer set of comps passive. You really do not need rear speakers in this car. I took mine out. Let more bass in...and no more pulling the sound to the rear.

QFT