PDA

View Full Version : how to tune boxes?



FalconXtreme
05-05-2003, 02:06 AM
hey i've been hearing alot of stuff of boxes tuned to 40hz and such. i was wondering how exactly you tune a box? also how do u know what hz value to tune the box to and how does it affect sound? also can someone spread some light on what sq and spl is? thanks.

Brock
05-05-2003, 08:57 AM
Well I'm not that informed on tuning boxes, mainly because I'm a sealed type of guy, but anyways heres what I know, the short version. The tuning of your box depends on the port size / length in vented boxes. Generally speaking the lower the tuning frequency, the more SQ (sound quality) oriented the box will be, as opposed to higher tuning frequencies which are used for SPL (sound pressure level) applications.

ShaunMac
05-05-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by FalconXtreme
hey i've been hearing alot of stuff of boxes tuned to 40hz and such. i was wondering how exactly you tune a box? also how do u know what hz value to tune the box to and how does it affect sound? also can someone spread some light on what sq and spl is? thanks.

Tuning is done by changing the size of the port in an enclosure. In length, height and
width. There are programs that help out with determining these port dimensions.

Determining the Hz to tune at depends on what type of sound your looking for.

A lower tuned box(25-33Hz) will have more output in the lower bass region, giving
you deeper and fuller sounding bass response. Good for SQ "Sound Quality"
A higher tuned box(35-50Hz) will have more output in the middle bass region, giving
you a punchy, hard impacting bass response. Good for SPL "Sound Pressure Level"

Both set-ups can rattle your head with the right source material.

FalconXtreme
05-05-2003, 04:43 PM
well i like to "feel" my bass so which should i go for spl or sq?

FalconXtreme
05-05-2003, 05:51 PM
both. i like my bass to hit fast and hard on the short notes but also vibrate my a$$ real good on the long notes.

ShaunMac
05-05-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by FalconXtreme
both. i like my bass to hit fast and hard on the short notes but also vibrate my a$$ real good on the long notes.
You would probably be happy with a box tuned around 33Hz.
It's a good mix of SPL and SQ.

What types of music do you listen to the most?
What subwoofer/amp do you have in mind?

FalconXtreme
05-05-2003, 08:32 PM
i listen to rap, rb, and techno. all i know is that im looking for :crazy: :eek: faces whenever im cruzing and i dont wanna spend more than 600 for my sub/amp combo.

ShaunMac
05-05-2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by FalconXtreme
i listen to rap, rb, and techno. all i know is that im looking for :crazy: :eek: faces whenever im cruzing and i dont wanna spend more than 600 for my sub/amp combo.
Well me personally, I love really low bass coming from cars. Lower the better. :D

With $600 for a sub/amp you have a lot of options.

Have you checked out Elemental Designs? You could get their top of the line
subwoofer(E15A) with an Avionixx 800.2 amp for $580. Monthly Special!
The E15A should be shipping June 1.

This would effectively get the :crazy: :eek: faces!

Check em' out
www.edesignaudio.com

FalconXtreme
05-05-2003, 09:24 PM
wow thats a real good buy. what size box would i need for one of those? also whats the rms on that sub?

gellis4
05-05-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by ShaunMac
Well me personally, I love really low bass coming from cars. Lower the better. :D



Yep, and if you're into *** shakin bass the 15" would suit your pleasure... My 15" will shake your insides 6 feet or more away from it w/ the back of my car open... not to mention that if the doors are open when the gate is closed it will shake change in the car 2 parking spots next to me.

buuuuuuuuttt... I live in a small town where noise pollution isnt a problem @ all, many people in this forum would frown upon people w/ systems that set off car alarms, and actually set off car alarms w/ them.

ShaunMac
05-05-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by FalconXtreme
wow thats a real good buy. what size box would i need for one of those? also whats the rms on that sub?

Check out their website. It's all there!
www.edesignaudio.com

It's a great deal! :D

FalconXtreme
05-06-2003, 02:15 AM
bah i missed it. their site isn't the easiest to navigate.

ryanmach1
05-13-2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by gellis4
My 15" will shake your insides 6 feet or more away from it w/ the back of my car open... not to mention that if the doors are open when the gate is closed it will shake change in the car 2 parking spots next to me.

I live in a small town where noise pollution isnt a problem @ all, many people in this forum would frown upon people w/ systems that set off car alarms, and actually set off car alarms w/ them.

Man! that's what i bought my system for! it is listed in my Sig .. you think I'll be able to do that when i get it installed?:D