PDA

View Full Version : Need supply help for my box build!

kevin25
03-27-2008, 05:12 PM
Can you guys please tell me what exactly I need?
I am getting a jl 12w7 and want to build a box to specs. Will this plan work?
The Jl specs are 1.75cu and 32hz. This box is the same but why are some measurements different between than the jl audio and this one? For instance Jl audio is asking for a slot width of 1.75 while this box width is asking for a 2.25? Does it matter?
http://img62.imageshack.us/my.php?image=175cubes32hz26sqin2rg.png
I would like to know what is the thickness of the mdf in the pic?
What size screws do I need for box build?
What size screws do I need for the speaker to be installed?
What kind of wood glue?
How do i cut out perfect circle for this speaker? With a jigsaw? How do I get the perfect size of hole?
Thanks

dB-SPL
03-27-2008, 06:03 PM
Does it matter?
http://img62.imageshack.us/my.php?image=175cubes32hz26sqin2rg.png
I would like to know what is the thickness of the mdf in the pic?
What size screws do I need for box build?
What size screws do I need for the speaker to be installed?
What kind of wood glue?
How do i cut out perfect circle for this speaker? With a jigsaw? How do I get the perfect size of hole?
Thanks

1) The only difference between JL's specs and the above plan is port area.
2) For your application, 3/4" MDF all the way around will be fine. Or double baffle if you want to be safe.
3) You don't even need screws. Clamps & glue will be plenty strong. If you don't have clamps, 1-1/2" wood/drywall screws will work. Just pre-drill the holes to prevent splitting.
4) Some drivers come with hardware, some don't. 1-1/4" wood/drywall screws will be fine.
5) Jigsaw will work, just take it slow. Routers with compass jigs work the best for making a perfect circle.
6) Look at the specs from JL's site to determine cutout diameter.

Good luck and have fun. :)

-Bill-

Immacomputer
03-27-2008, 06:05 PM
I would go with the one in the picture over the JL spec enclosure. It has more port area which means less port noise at high volume levels. JL has always low balled the port area figure to save space but it's not optimal.

Wood size: 3/4" MDF
Wood Screws: 1 1/4" course threaded drywall screws work well but if you have clamps, just clamp it and don't worry about screws. That's only if you prefer that look as both methods are strong. Always make sure to pre-drill first and don't put any screws within 6" from the edge and keep them more than 6" apart. You don't need a ton of screws as their purpose is to hold the wood together as the glue dries.

Speaker Screws: As big as will fit in the mounting holes.
Glue: Titebond II is about the best you can get for your money.
Hole cutout: Some people use a router and jasper jig and others make their own jig for routers (basically like a compass that attaches to the router and spins around a screw in the center). If you use a jigsaw, use a compass to draw the circle and then slowly cut the hole out. Just take your time and move smoothly while always keeping an eye on the line.

EDIT: ****, dB-SPL wins and his is easier to read. :(

kevin25
03-27-2008, 07:36 PM
Thanks alot guys that is exactly what I was looking for. I think your right I will go with the box in the picture I posted. Thanks