PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Ext. Cab Chevy (Avatar)

KurtisLow
03-27-2008, 01:46 PM
I have 2 JL Audio 10W3V3s each in its own sealed enclosure made from 3/4" MDF and built to JL Audio's specs (18"Wx11"Hx9"D) *0.625cu. ft.* I was wondering how to mount the enclosure under the seat........Firing up into the bottom of the rear seat? Firing out from under seat towards the back of the front seats? Firing down into the floor? Any info will be GREATLY appreciated.

jdc753
03-27-2008, 07:40 PM
I was workin on a project for my friends 05 chevy extended cab and looked like most were downfiring, with a couple being forward firing, not too many choose the up firing design. Personally I would probably put them downfiring.

I just reread your message though, looks like you already have the enclosures built?? I forget the measurements but I think there was about 13" of room towards the front of the back seat but only about 8 or 9" towards the back. To downfire you would most likely need an inch or two between the sub and the floor, so it doesn't hit the floor when pounding, even even then I would worry about junk sliding under the sub and damagine it.

I guess without building a new box I would just slide em under the seat as far as they will go and up fire them. You could always build your own box and still have about the same internal volume when all done, just gets tricky when doing it all out of MDF seeing the floor isn't symetrical and the back hump eats up a lot of room too.

KurtisLow
03-27-2008, 10:52 PM
Yea I'm thinkin' about outfiring them right now. I'm scared of upfiring b/c i do ride around with a lot of friends on the weekends (backseat passengers) and i would hate for one of them to put too much pressure on the seat and damage the sub. I'm hopin' the outfire method will still sound ok....

ProgMtl
03-28-2008, 07:47 AM
Downfiring will sound the best...tried every direction in my 2001 xcab

Joseph K
03-29-2008, 12:11 PM
Downfire sounded the best in my truck (I took out the rear seat now and built a big box)... pretty much everyone chooses downfire on underseat boxes on the chevrolet/gm truck forums I'm on as well.

fshanda
03-29-2008, 12:34 PM
Heres what I came up with. No room to down fire the 10" Type R , to tall. Its sitting about 1/2" off the bottom of the enclosure. Bottom and back is fiberglass moulded to the floor. Sides are 3/4" MDF, front and top are 1 1/2" MDF, two pieces glued together. Rounded the face freehand with a belt sander. 4" port firing foreward, can feel the air thru the cracks in the front seat when the sub hits. The back seat sits about 1" off the top of the box when its down. Havent had any problems yet with people sitting on it.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/191/448842757_bec91a2d34.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/154/381075163_4b50e72aa5_o.jpg

ProgMtl
03-29-2008, 02:04 PM
nice