PDA

View Full Version : Tried searching couldn't find what I need for components

tigerf117
03-26-2008, 11:46 AM
Looking for some 6.5 component sets that can be abused a lot and still stay true (if that makes sense). I listen to a lot of rock and really kick the **** out of my speakers especially some of the live music I listen to. I would like something that doesn't mind being a little distorted and thats just an all around really tough speaker, something that can take a lot of abuse and hold up pretty good. Not too big of a preference on silk/titanium tweets. Something with better midbass than tweets honestly is what I'd like.

Price range is $150-200 and am running 120wrms to each speaker on an mtx4ch amp.

http://sonicelectronix.com/item_7446_JBL+P650C.html Current speakers, they were on sale for $80 so I picked them up. Not too bad for a cheapie comp set, and have taken a helluva lot of abuse so far, but just don't get low enough for me.

Thanks for the help guys as always

CrossFired
03-26-2008, 12:51 PM
I've got these and I beat them all day long, They sound great!

http://sonicelectronix.com/item_7537_Pioneer+Premier+TS-C720PRS.html

snb778
03-26-2008, 12:56 PM
why don't you do the wise thing and look into something that will be louder than what you are used to so you don't have to beat on em....

cause with that criteria nobody is really gonna help you

tigerf117
03-26-2008, 01:02 PM
Because I love concerts and try my best at recreating that experience and part of that experience is loud distrorted amps. My best bet would probably be PA speakers, but no room for that. Its kind of hard to describe the sound I'm looking for. Not necessarily clean, but not dirty. If anyone has seen a Jucifer show, I want something similar to that noise.

tsenfw
03-26-2008, 03:07 PM
As long as the music is recorded how you like it should be fine on clean power. Therefore you just need more clean power and speakers that will handle it and get very loud. There is never a reason to want distortion in car audio. Your thinking of distortion of guitar tube amplifiers which is different.

tigerf117
03-26-2008, 03:27 PM
Oh ok. That makes sense. Thank you tsenfw. So loud clean components below $200 running off 120wrms, 6 1/2s. Something not too harsh and piercing on the high end for the tweets. Something that will really bring the bass from primus, hendrix etc come to life.

djman37
03-26-2008, 03:30 PM
Pioneer Revs come to mind. I don't know about the $200 thing though.

tigerf117
03-26-2008, 03:44 PM
As long as the music is recorded how you like it should be fine on clean power. Therefore you just need more clean power and speakers that will handle it and get very loud. There is never a reason to want distortion in car audio. Your thinking of distortion of guitar tube amplifiers which is different.

Actually, Jucifers shows are pretty much distorted the **** out similar to the way a distorted speaker in a car is. Its rather ridiculous but its part of their show. If you like LOUD music I definitely recommend them. Two person group, put on an awesome show in little hole in the wall bars.

DejaWiz
03-26-2008, 06:18 PM
Cerwin V-Max65's would probably be a good choice.

Also check out:
-Pioneer TS-C160R (old REV comps)
-Pioneer TS-D720C (new comps to replace the old REV set)
-PG RSd65cs (may be hard to find nowadays, and need a clean 2x120-150w rms to get the best out of them)
-Polk MMC6500

teamd0m1nat3
03-29-2008, 01:32 AM
i think you're still confusing the difference between harmonic distortion(like the guitar effect) and BAD distortion by overloading a speaker and clipping, which will ruin your speakers... and your speakers aren't necessarily going to add anything to the sound from the cd or radio.. so if you have a song that you really like just turn it up... and make sure the speakers you get can handle high SPL.

one more suggestion... if you're trying to recreate a concert experience... put a 5.1 setup in your car!!! and listen to music that's created in 5.1!!!! haha. crutchfield sells center speakers if you're interested.