PDA

View Full Version : installing a turbo

frankjuda
03-25-2008, 10:45 PM
i got a quick question
my friend has a 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX and wants to upgrade the turbo i was wondering if it was just as simple as changing the injectors and bolting on the new turbo

05gliguy
03-25-2008, 10:54 PM
I'd try to find a Mitsubishi eclipse forum

19psi
03-26-2008, 03:04 PM
does he already havea tbe, fuel pump, IC upgrade, blowoff valve upgrade, mbc, datalogger, boost gauge? all that stuff is necessary before cyhanging the turbo, or else it won't do any good. a huge turbo breathing throuhg a stock exhaust will make no power. also, a larger turbo will heatsoak the stock IC within 2 pulls on a warm day. the stock blowoff valve leaks at more than 12psi, so it must be changed. fuel pump must be changed to keep up with the demands of the larger turbo. also, you'll need a way to control the larger injectors, either old school with an safc or step up to dsm link. either wya works, but there are disadvantages to both.

theCybe
03-26-2008, 03:16 PM
DSM + n00b turbo + injectors - tune = 98 Mitsui Grenade

theCybe
03-26-2008, 03:16 PM
Did I mention DSM

lol

lil_italy773
03-26-2008, 03:43 PM
the side mount intercooler is not rated for more that 15psi anymore and that will cause back pressure making huge turbo lag beside that the exhuast will not be as free flowin. and u will need a bigger oil pump more HP more oil is needed and bigger oil reaturn lines to the turbo back to oil pan ....as for the bigger injectors 650cc at the least....and u will need a mp senser over ride u just simply splice this in the wires so the compuer wont go ape **** with more boost than the computer is tuned for... u can have the computer dyno tuned for the increased fuel curve, but a full out computer from jet will be much better..bigger turbo needs a bigger exhuast manifold the flang on the bigger turbo wont match that little G18s. in most cases the bigger turbos will need a wastegate just in case of to much exhuast pressure witch will cuase the turbines to melt from excessive heat build up. ur gonna need a new head u get the air in u got to get it back out... im very doutful that the stock internals will handle a big amounts of boost,. ur gonna need a better clutch with that much more HP that other clutch will burn out stage 3 at least... there is more but not gonna evern go any ferther in to it....its alot more that ur thinkin u better look into it further i was a huge tuner and turboed ever turd burner i ever owned. i know what a pain in the *** they are.

19psi
03-27-2008, 10:47 AM
the side mount intercooler is not rated for more that 15psi anymore and that will cause back pressure making huge turbo lag beside that the exhuast will not be as free flowin. and u will need a bigger oil pump more HP more oil is needed and bigger oil reaturn lines to the turbo back to oil pan ....as for the bigger injectors 650cc at the least....and u will need a mp senser over ride u just simply splice this in the wires so the compuer wont go ape **** with more boost than the computer is tuned for... u can have the computer dyno tuned for the increased fuel curve, but a full out computer from jet will be much better..bigger turbo needs a bigger exhuast manifold the flang on the bigger turbo wont match that little G18s. in most cases the bigger turbos will need a wastegate just in case of to much exhuast pressure witch will cuase the turbines to melt from excessive heat build up. ur gonna need a new head u get the air in u got to get it back out... im very doutful that the stock internals will handle a big amounts of boost,. ur gonna need a better clutch with that much more HP that other clutch will burn out stage 3 at least... there is more but not gonna evern go any ferther in to it....its alot more that ur thinkin u better look into it further i was a huge tuner and turboed ever turd burner i ever owned. i know what a pain in the *** they are.

wow. just wow. i really try not to be rude, but seriously, you know nothing about turbo dsm's. :rolleyes:
a jet computer? are you serious? those things are worthless on dsm's.
a new head? again, are you serious? teh stock turbo head is good for 400 hp.
stock internals can handle ~20psi on 93 octane on a good tune, and 24-25 psi on race fuel.
the manifold is fine. there are many large turbos that bolt right onto the stock manifold; FP green FP red, mitsu flanged 50 trims, 60-1's, etc.
larger oil pump? you're crazy. stock oil pumps are fine for any street driven dsm.
he has 2G anyway, so he doesn't even have to upgrade the oil feed line. any of the garrett based compressors will come with a new oil drain line too.

seriously, i already told him what he needs, leave it at that. you just confused the **** out of him if he read your post.
i'm not trying to be an *******, but don't say anything else about what he needs for a turbo dsm.

dman4486
03-27-2008, 11:52 AM
All i had to do to get 300hp 350ft/lbs was change my cam.....how much did you spend on all the msd equip?

grimreper912003
03-27-2008, 11:58 AM
I find it funny your compairing turboing a DSM to a civic. Does that mean because you need all that **** to turbo a civic, its the exact same for every other car on the market? He dosent need half the **** you told him to buy, but if he had the money to do it, it wouldent be a bad idea.

lil_italy773
03-27-2008, 12:04 PM
All i had to do to get 300hp 350ft/lbs was change my cam.....how much did you spend on all the msd equip? close to a grand, 5000 over 2 years on all of it. u prob have v8 this is a 4cyl

dman4486
03-27-2008, 12:05 PM
close to a grand, 5000 over 2 years on all of it. u prob have v8 this is a 4cyl

yea...i was just yankin your chain....5L in mine...5000 is alot for motor work, but on 4 cyl that's respectable

lil_italy773
03-27-2008, 12:07 PM
I find it funny your compairing turboing a DSM to a civic. Does that mean because you need all that **** to turbo a civic, its the exact same for every other car on the market? He dosent need half the **** you told him to buy, but if he had the money to do it, it wouldent be a bad idea.
to turbo it right and make it last u need all that "****" let him do that in 2 month time it will be broke down. ive been there and ive learned a big lesson do it right or DONT!

528hz
03-27-2008, 12:09 PM
i got a quick question
my friend has a 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX and wants to upgrade the turbo i was wondering if it was just as simple as changing the injectors and bolting on the new turbo

Definitely go to a DSM forum. I don't know all that much about the mechanics of an Eclipse, but it's similar to a Civic, except the 4G is an iron block and they like to crank walk. But switching out to a bigger turbo pretty much only requires new injectors and a tune, depending on how much HP your putting out. PSI has nothing to do with the longevity of the motor or parts.

lil_italy773
03-27-2008, 12:17 PM
PSI has nothing to do with the longevity of the motor or parts.
what are u kidding those cheaper rings will break after time with to much pressure even thoe its a turbo and would need heavier valve springs or it will make the valves chatter. but maybe im thiking he wants to race the thing everyday and beat on it. i might be thinking over kill then. my fualt.

528hz
03-27-2008, 12:29 PM
what are u kidding those cheaper rings will break after time with to much pressure even thoe its a turbo and would need heavier valve springs or it will make the valves chatter. but maybe im thiking he wants to race the thing everyday and beat on it. i might be thinking over kill then. my fualt.

Well I just meant because your throwing more lbs. of boost, which is sort of irrelavent to his question, does not matter. It matters how much HP your putting down. It's all subjective to how much bigger the turbo is and EVERYTHING is tune dependent. Even your comment about the rings; tune dependent. If you have a good solid tune, you can make any mechanical part hold up. Hell I ran 300 HP on my fvckin Si for over 2 years before I built it, and even then my sleeves, rings and pistons (ALL STOCK) were still fine.

dman4486
03-27-2008, 12:34 PM
Well I just meant because your throwing more lbs. of boost, which is sort of irrelavent to his question, does not matter. It matters how much HP your putting down. It's all subjective to how much bigger the turbo is and EVERYTHING is tune dependent. Even your comment about the rings; tune dependent. If you have a good solid tune, you can make any mechanical part hold up. Hell I ran 300 HP on my fvckin Si for over 2 years before I built it, and even then my sleeves, rings and pistons (ALL STOCK) were still fine.

:laugh:

528hz
03-27-2008, 01:12 PM

Tis true...On uberdata none-the-less...

fasfocus00
03-27-2008, 03:36 PM
wow, I love the childish online fighting. the dude is a noob trying to go Fast and Furious style. just point him to someone that really know the deal on DSM motors.

for DSM parts www.dsmtrader.com
for step by step DSM mods www.buschurracing.com

I built a 500+whp GSX back in '99 with Dave Buschur's step by step mods, which btw was mainly bolt-on and some tranny work. Dave Buschur even give you a step by step tune.

19psi
03-28-2008, 11:04 AM

no they won't. the rings are fine, good for 400hp all stock.
heavier valve springs my ***! no need for valvesprings unless you're putting a set of high lift cams in the head. do you even know what valvesprings do?
there is no correlation between valve springs and larger turbos.
300 whp is an easy cheap goal on these cars if you know what you're doing.
on a 2g its' a bit harder as the T25 just won't flow the air to make 300 hp.
so basically on a 2G this is the order to buy and install parts.
1. boost gauge and datalogger, so you know what the hell your ecu is doing. $100 if you know how to find deals.
2. fuel pump, without more fuel, you'll blow it up. $79 for a 255 lph. do the fuel pump rewire with a relay and run 15psi.
3. 3" downpipe and exhaust, no cats. $300
4. hi flwo air filter $40
5. manual boost controller $50
6. upgraded turbo, at least an evo3 16G. they can be had used for about $350. new they're about $500. keep it at 15psi or less until the new injectors are in.
7. front mount intercooler $250 off ebay, yeah they're chinese but they do the job.
8. safc, to control the fueldelivery, used about $150
9. injectors, about $200.
10. tune it at about 19-20psi and you'll easily be over 300whp.

anything else anyone says is bullshit.

www.dsmtuners.com
www.dsmtalk.com
www.vfaq.com

05gliguy
03-28-2008, 11:09 AM
I'd try to find a Mitsubishi eclipse forum

no they won't. the rings are fine, good for 400hp all stock.
heavier valve springs my ***! no need for valvesprings unless you're putting a set of high lift cams in the head. do you even know what valvesprings do?
there is no correlation between valve springs and larger turbos.
300 whp is an easy cheap goal on these cars if you know what you're doing.
on a 2g its' a bit harder as the T25 just won't flow the air to make 300 hp.
so basically on a 2G this is the order to buy and install parts.
1. boost gauge and datalogger, so you know what the hell your ecu is doing. $100 if you know how to find deals.
2. fuel pump, without more fuel, you'll blow it up. $79 for a 255 lph. do the fuel pump rewire with a relay and run 15psi.
3. 3" downpipe and exhaust, no cats. $300
4. hi flwo air filter $40
5. manual boost controller $50
6. upgraded turbo, at least an evo3 16G. they can be had used for about $350. new they're about $500. keep it at 15psi or less until the new injectors are in.
7. front mount intercooler $250 off ebay, yeah they're chinese but they do the job.
8. safc, to control the fueldelivery, used about $150
9. injectors, about $200.
10. tune it at about 19-20psi and you'll easily be over 300whp.

anything else anyone says is bullshit.

www.dsmtuners.com
www.dsmtalk.com
www.vfaq.com

What do ya know... Links to forums. ... :)

lil_italy773
03-28-2008, 11:40 AM
i didnt want to be like this but my buddy brad at hahn racecraft the guru of those applications will tell him all he needs to know. call today i talked to him and he will be more that glad to tell him u dont know nothing.

ask for brad, hahn racecraft (630) 553-6830 yorkville, il
if u dont know bout them ur not a tuner at all.

jdawg
03-28-2008, 12:42 PM
I could get pretty close to 300 with one of these using mostly junkyard parts.
<--------
The problem is the head starts to be a bottleneck being only 8V, then you can either hog the **** out of it or do a 16v conversion

19psi
03-28-2008, 03:42 PM
I could get pretty close to 300 with one of these using mostly junkyard parts.
<--------
The problem is the head starts to be a bottleneck being only 8V, then you can either hog the **** out of it or do a 16v conversion

4g63t's are 16v heads. stock head, stock cam is good up to about 400hp with the right turbo and tune.

19psi
03-28-2008, 03:46 PM
i didnt want to be like this but my buddy brad at hahn racecraft the guru of those applications will tell him all he needs to know. call today i talked to him and he will be more that glad to tell him u dont know nothing.

ask for brad, hahn racecraft (630) 553-6830 yorkville, il
if u dont know bout them ur not a tuner at all.
i hope you 're not talking to me, because if you just talked to a guy at hahn, you obviously learned nothing from him, because all your info is wrong unless you're talking about the non turbo dsm's. maybe you need to call him again and listen to what he says closely. hahn definitely knows their stuff, they were one of the original 4g63 tuners but if this is the info you're getting from your guy up there, i suggest nobody ever go up there and buy anything from them or get advice ever again!

lil_italy773
03-28-2008, 10:14 PM
i hope you 're not talking to me, because if you just talked to a guy at hahn, you obviously learned nothing from him, because all your info is wrong unless you're talking about the non turbo dsm's. maybe you need to call him again and listen to what he says closely. hahn definitely knows their stuff, they were one of the original 4g63 tuners but if this is the info you're getting from your guy up there, i suggest nobody ever go up there and buy anything from them or get advice ever again! yeah that my buddy thats the shop manager. he told me he would would do more upgrades but u didnt call him instead u want to talk **** on here while i offered a soutuion u just ignored so dont say anything more till u talk to brad aight. he said ur not the expert u clam to be i read to him the post and he laughted. dont get all mad.. he said ur a lil misinformed and that he would gladly talk this matter over with u on monday.

Keith H
03-29-2008, 04:21 AM
i got a quick question

Throw on a 14b turbo off a 1g (90-94). There a little bigger than a t25 turbo which is what comes stock on 2g's (95-99). You can find a good condition 14b anywhere from $100-150. I actually have one layin around if your friends interested. You'll get a very noticable gain from doing this. Especially top end wise. Also get a boost controller and a boost gauge, and turn it up to 15psi. A full exhaust and a K&N air filter too. You'll swear you just picked up 100hp. A data logger is also a great idea as someone mentioned above.

Here's a link for a few free mods.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/sub.php?page=2gtstage0power

Also have your friend read the entire vfaq a few times over. This will tell you almost everything you need to know about DSM's.

http://vfaq.com/

Make an account on dsmtuners so you can ask any questions if you need help with anything.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/

If you have any other questions about anything feel free to PM me.

Have fun!!!!

fozzymuphet
03-29-2008, 04:14 PM
www.team-2g.com

A new turbo isn't a bad idea you just need to know the limits. On a GSX or anything with the 4G63 you can go up to (I believe) 12psi and I think you need a t3/t4 flanged turbo or else you'll also need a new header.

The turbo install itself is pretty easy. There are a few steps you need to consider first before you go run the car on a track because you WILL **** up your engine if you don't prime the turbo. You will also want the **** thing tuned or again, you will either **** up your engine or the turbo. I would tell your friend to do some serious reading before installing. If he doesn't want to take the time to learn up on his car then he should pay a shop.

Luckily for him there is a TON of info on eclipses. Good thing he has a gsx too. AWD launches are fun. I'm stuck with an RS and I wish I would have known more about eclipses before I bought mine. I bought mine thinking I could swap a 4G63 into it...LAWL

fozzymuphet
03-29-2008, 04:28 PM

There is of course a limit. And PSI (boost) creates HP so while your argument is valid that HP is what kills engines, PSI is what is creating the HP when applied with turbos. I can't remember the exact number of a 4G63 but the boost on a 420a is 8psi with stock internals. Anything over that and you'll be running into problems over time. That is why boost gauges and monitoring equipment is so important. Maybe you have 20psi coming from the turbo but you've got a boost leak from the stock intercooler so your car only sees 12psi at the engine. Gotta fix those leaks too.

well I'm rambling and I'm also not the guy to ask. I have a general knowledge of turbos, especially on 420a's but the specifics are something you need to find for yourself.

Everything that you could learn from this thread is NOT enough info to do a turbo build. It's probably just enough for you to go to a DSM thread and not get laughed at.

Ferendon
03-30-2008, 01:20 AM
There is of course a limit. And PSI (boost) creates HP so while your argument is valid that HP is what kills engines, PSI is what is creating the HP when applied with turbos. I can't remember the exact number of a 4G63 but the boost on a 420a is 8psi with stock internals. Anything over that and you'll be running into problems over time. That is why boost gauges and monitoring equipment is so important. Maybe you have 20psi coming from the turbo but you've got a boost leak from the stock intercooler so your car only sees 12psi at the engine. Gotta fix those leaks too.

well I'm rambling and I'm also not the guy to ask. I have a general knowledge of turbos, especially on 420a's but the specifics are something you need to find for yourself.

Everything that you could learn from this thread is NOT enough info to do a turbo build. It's probably just enough for you to go to a DSM thread and not get laughed at.
The 420a didn't come boosted... It's a ****ing Neon engine, crammed in the DSM to make it cheap. A 420a DSM runs a 16.6 in the 1/4, IIRC.

SilverSquared
03-30-2008, 01:36 AM
teh stock turbo head is good for 400 hp.
stock internals can handle ~20psi on 93 octane on a good tune, and 24-25 psi on race fuel.
the manifold is fine. there are many large turbos that bolt right onto the stock manifold; FP green FP red, mitsu flanged 50 trims, 60-1's, etc.

400+ on a 2nd gen WILL produce crankwalk in a gst with 5speed. No doubt in my mind. A gsx with 5 speed is a little less likely to get it, like a FRACTION of a percentage, but it will still happen. A DSM isnt a bullet proof system. And yes, I would DEFINATELY change the head. Specifically a 1g head. The runners are larger and smoother. I put a 1g head with HKS cams and I was at 315 at the wheels along with the normal intake/exhaust system, with a warlboro 255 hp in the tank. And that was on the T-too-tiny25 turbo. After it was all said and done, I WANTED to go with the FP Green, but I ended up with a MachV Rocket Alpha turbo. Had a little lag, but my X was auto, so I was able to build boost for the launch. I went with 770 injectors, a GReddy e-manage, GReddy profecB, and the turbo timer as well. I had a B&M FPR, and I think it was Venom fuel rail. Cheap for me. Was given to me. LOL. Was a very fun car to drive, and it was mostly budget built. My very last mod was the exhaust manifold, I went with an equal length tube one from SS Autochrome...huge difference. O, my wastegate was a tial 46mm, and my bov was the GReddy type RS, venting to the atmosphere, and I had the GM MAF conversion with that retarded lil box under the hood. as far as my FMIC, I got one off ebay with piping for like, $300. Was pretty nice.

dbhittin
03-30-2008, 01:40 AM
the answer your looking for if bolting on a replacement turbo ect. 14b, 16g ect.. nothing it bolts right up.. anything else really, u will need to modify oil/water lines, ic piping ect

jdawg
03-30-2008, 01:41 AM
The 420a didn't come boosted... It's a ****ing Neon engine, crammed in the DSM to make it cheap. A 420a DSM runs a 16.6 in the 1/4, IIRC.

most NA engines can take some boost without problems. I dunno if 8psi is too much, I would guess 5psi but because it didnt come boosted doesnt mean you cant. Actually you can pull some serious numbers with that engine after you lower compression. No that engine did not ever come boosted factory. Not sure what the argument is here.

dsmdylan
03-30-2008, 05:37 AM
so much misinformation here. 19psi is the only one who seems to actually have first hand experience. he did a pretty good job of answering your question. if you have any more, try a performance forum instead of an audio one ;) www.dsmtuners.com

i'm bored so i'll address a couple of the false claims:

1. every single thing lil_italy said was wrong.
2. nothing like a civic.
3. crankwalk was an issue in the 95-96 models. it was addressed and corrected. any car can crankwalk. it is not related to how much power the engine makes.
4. a 14b is a good upgrade but don't just turn up the boost without logging and knowing what you're doing, you'll melt a piston or spit a rod out real quick doing that. this is why dsm's have a bad rep.
5. the exhaust manifold has a mitsubishi flange. the stocker is good for quite a bit of power. tubular ones are useless for the most part and WILL crack.
6. your limits aren't going to be based on boost pressure alone. different turbos flow different amounts of air at a given pressure. there aren't set numbers on how much boost you can run safely. this is why you need to log and understand what you're looking at.

if you're coming on an audio forum and asking what you need to do to upgrade the turbo, don't touch anything turbo related, or adjust the boost. install an aftermarket boost gauge and stick to bolt-ons until you learn what you're doing, or you'll screw something up. some mods, even things as simple as exhaust piping, can have an effect on how much boost you're going to see so keep on eye on that. if you see it go higher than what it should, find out why and fix it.

there are plenty of dsmers on the internet willing to help you, but ask in the right place and don't be stupid about it, follow the recommended upgrade path that has been established and proven to work for over a decade.

ligo12
03-30-2008, 11:31 AM
close to a grand, 5000 over 2 years on all of it. u prob have v8 this is a 4cyl

to turbo it right and make it last u need all that "****" let him do that in 2 month time it will be broke down. ive been there and ive learned a big lesson do it right or DONT!

you rock!!!! i like your brand of stupid,please continue.

www.team-2g.com

A new turbo isn't a bad idea you just need to know the limits. On a GSX or anything with the 4G63 you can go up to (I believe) 12psi and I think you need a t3/t4 flanged turbo or else you'll also need a new header.

this is just a taste of whats on team 2g.btw stock is 14psi.i need more batt.s for da bass!!!!

Ferendon
03-30-2008, 01:15 PM
you rock!!!! i like your brand of stupid,please continue.

:rotflol:

bastard dsm
03-30-2008, 01:29 PM
lil_italy773 reminds me of this guy with the corolla........watch the whole thing.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3Ry6Cf4EHI0

bastard dsm
03-30-2008, 01:38 PM
hey lil_stupidity773.......i make 445hp/434lbs of in your face with a stock block and head on my
91 galant vr4.i have had this motor for 2 years now and it still has 170com on all 4 cyl. now to
make this more interesting,i built it 2 years ago and it has vatozone piston rings and bearings in it and cost me 300 bucks to make it 500hp reliable.you really souldnt be giving advice to any one......

dman4486
03-30-2008, 01:40 PM
lil_italy773 reminds me of this guy with the corolla........watch the whole thing.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3Ry6Cf4EHI0

hey lil_stupidity773.......i make 445hp/434lbs of in your face with a stock block and head on my
91 galant vr4.i have had this motor for 2 years now and it still has 170com on all 4 cyl. now to
make this more interesting,i built it 2 years ago and it has vatozone piston rings and bearings in it and cost me 300 bucks to make it 500hp reliable.you really souldnt be giving advice to any one......

way to join a forum just to bash people....what's the galant run 1/8 and 1/4...slips or bs

PSA
03-30-2008, 01:50 PM
way to join a forum just to bash people....what's the galant run 1/8 and 1/4...slips or bs

HAHA
You're about to look pretty **** silly in a few...

EDIT: What the hell? d-a-m-n is filtered?

dman4486
03-30-2008, 01:52 PM
HAHA
You're about to look pretty **** silly in a few...

EDIT: What the hell? d-a-m-n is filtered?

yes it's filtered, and how am i going to look silly?

bastard dsm
03-30-2008, 01:55 PM
galant ran a 7.8@ 95mph and 11.9@ 120mph, i have a very crappy pic of my dyno graph ill post that in a sec. this is a non gutted 91 gr4 on a 17 year old motor.

dman4486
03-30-2008, 01:57 PM
galant ran a 7.8@ 95mph and 11.9@ 120mph, i have a very crappy pic of my dyno graph ill post that in a sec. this is a non gutted 91 gr4 on a 17 year old motor.

not bad numbers....waiting on the ****** pic

bastard dsm
03-30-2008, 01:59 PM
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii11/bastarddsm/bastarddyno.jpg

http://img299.imageshack.us/my.php?image=thomasenginecf9.jpg

dman4486
03-30-2008, 02:02 PM
you're right...****** pic....can't see the curve well

bastard dsm
03-30-2008, 02:02 PM
that guy dosnt have a clue and he is giving false info, im just saying that the factory motor is a beast and is not a honda that has to be built like a mofo. the link under the dyno sheet is my engine pic

dman4486
03-30-2008, 02:05 PM
that guy dosnt have a clue and he is giving false info, im just saying that the factory motor is a beast and is not a honda that has to be built like a mofo. the link under the dyno sheet is my engine pic

i saw the engine pic....

welcome to ca.com

Ferendon
03-30-2008, 02:33 PM
I can vouch for the new guys. They're from a local forum I crossposted on. This **** was too funny to NOT bring it to their attention.

dbhittin
03-30-2008, 02:43 PM
i had the nicest lookin dsm ive seen

lil_italy773
03-30-2008, 09:59 PM
hey lil_stupidity773
:laugh:with that childish name i know u dont have a drivers licence. what are u 12:rolleyes:

lil_italy773
03-30-2008, 10:02 PM
i could sit here and get diff screen names and come on here talkin trash too. but i dont have to, what ppl will do when they are wrong just to make them look good...knowing they arent as smart as they seems on a subject. good way to look like fools

Ferendon
03-30-2008, 11:42 PM
Oh, those aren't my screen names. They're members of Dallasimports.net, a local car forum. We have a Mitsubishi section. They think you're funny.
http://www.dallasimports.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=98894

Amber@FP
03-30-2008, 11:50 PM
I'm sorry I had to join just to post in this 1 thread, but d.amn.

To the original poster, I really hope your buddy does not take a single word of advice from lil_italy773 as everything he has said in this thread is complete BS in regards to DSM's. He has obviously never laid his hands on one or even been near one, or anyone who has a clue about them. If you buddy has any questions, and wants real answers regarding upgrading the turbo on his 98 GSX, just ask anyone what FP is in regards to DSM's and have him give my shop a call and ask for me. I will set him straight.

Boosted98gsx
03-31-2008, 12:23 AM
i could sit here and get diff screen names and come on here talkin trash too. but i dont have to, what ppl will do when they are wrong just to make them look good...knowing they arent as smart as they seems on a subject. good way to look like fools

#1 You're wrong
#2 You're an idiot
#3 Shut up because you know nothing about DSMs

Another DSMer coming from Dallas Imports am I. lil_italy you are retarded, and you need to shut up because you know jack about dsm performance.

I currently run a GT35R powered 98 GSX that runs 7.56 @ 92 mph in the 1/8th on 20 psi and pump gas. Self wrenched, self tuned.

To the thread starter, listen to nothing this idiot has to say, because he is just that, an idiot, trying to strut his e-peen about a subject he knows NOTHING about.

Back on topic, to upgrade a turbo you need a lot more than just a GSX. there are a lot more mods that need to be done in the process to get the car prepared for the increased airflow and boost. Fuel being the biggest factor, and what you're going to use to control it. More air means more fuel needed to compensate.

What about an intake? The OEM filter box can't flow worth anything, and a K&N replacement filter is recommended as well as a hard pipe between the MAF and the turbocharger (with BOV recirculation of course) to increase laminar flow between the filter and the turbocharger. Keep the future in mind when deciding on an intake, you don't want to get one that is the exact size of the compressor inlet, because when you upgrade in the future, it will choke the turbo. I would recommend a 3" intake pipe, and just use a silicone coupler to downsize it to the inlet of your turbo.

The 2g OEM blow off valve is a piece. Get an aftermarket upper intercooler pipe with a DECENT aftermarket valve (such as a 1g BOV, or HKS with recirc fitting). I would steer away from Greddy for valves.

EXHAUST!!!!!!! There are many designs out there. If you stick with an OEM O2 housing, get it ported out IMMEDIATELY, because you are going to start creeping once you open up the post turbine exhaust., or you can go with an o2 eliminating exhaust and not have to worry about it. Just do your research and find one that is not going to cause oil filter change issues.

Next up being a new fuel pump. Only one you can use in the OEM 2g saddle fuel tank is a walbro 255lph high pressure pump. Good for about 450hp worth of fuel. After that, TUNING!!!!!

Here's a HUGE important factor. The more you spend on tuning equipment, typically, the better you are off in the long run. DSMlink is the tried and true method for dsm tuning (for timing and fuel control), and can compensate for 1250cc injectors to make them idle and cruise like stock (and still retain decent gas milage, I get 29mpg on my 1000's on the highway with some "play time" as well).

BOOST GAUGE / GAUGE POD!!! I'll leave this one to you.

After this, you can probably safely turn the boost up on the t-25 to 16lbs on a boost controller (i would recommend a Halman). No more than 16psi because that is the limit of that turbo's efficiency, after that you're blowing hot air, overwhelming (heatsoaking) the sidemounted intercooler and risking severe detonation.

Now it's time for injectors. If you get DSMlink, I would recommend going with the biggest injectors you can fork the cash out for, because again, DSMlink can neck down whatever you throw at it to work well on the street. I would say limit yourself to 1000cc injectors. They will last you a LONG time.

NOW you can start thinking about a turbo upgrade. For a beginner / newbie into the DSM world, I would not recommend going larger than an MHI evo3 16g. Mind you, DO NOT BUY THE CRAP TURBOCHARGERS FROM EBAY!!!!! They WILL fail on you and can take your engine out with them. Buy quality turbochargers from reputable companies, such as Forced Performance. You will spend a little more money on them, but with that comes ease of mind that your money bought you a quality part, not some joe-blows rebuilt/resell turbo.

After that, learn how to tune your car for yourself and you are on your merry way to having a happy DSM.

Then you can start thinking about the high end performance mods. Front mounted intercooler, sheet metal intake manifold, cams, methanol injection.... the fun stuff.

bastard dsm
03-31-2008, 01:23 AM
:laugh:with that childish name i know u dont have a drivers licence. what are u 12:rolleyes:
im 23 and im sure i know a lot more than you.....but seeing your posts makes me wonder if its safe for you to be around anything with 2-4 wheels and motor.

lil_italy773
03-31-2008, 01:46 AM
im 23 and im sure i know a lot more than you.....but seeing your posts makes me wonder if its safe for you to be around anything with 2-4 wheels and motor.i ride a unicycle thank u very much

dsmdylan
03-31-2008, 06:30 AM

to the op: you may not realize it but the people coming on here to give you advice are some of the most knowledgeable people in the dsm scene. Forced Performance is known and respected worldwide,way beyond dsmers. do not take their advice lightly.

19psi
03-31-2008, 10:14 AM
glad some other dsm people joined in, i was beginning to feel like bashing my head into a wall faced with such block headed misinformation.

dman4486
03-31-2008, 10:15 AM
glad some other dsm people joined in, i was beginning to feel like bashing my head into a wall faced with such block headed misinformation.

:wallbash:

19psi
03-31-2008, 10:27 AM
that's the one i was thinking of!

dman4486
03-31-2008, 10:29 AM
that's the one i was thinking of!

Runt
04-07-2008, 01:23 PM
I'm just here for the laugh I would post something helpful but all the bases have been pretty much covered up to this point.

Runt