PDA

View Full Version : carpeting the inside of port?

Natheo
05-04-2003, 07:11 PM
is this a good idea? could it possibly slow down air movement, or do anything to the tuning? what about fiberglassing the inside of the port to increase airflow?

MikeofTulsa
05-04-2003, 07:29 PM
how would fiberglassing the inside of the port increase air flow???? as for carpeting the inside i wouldnt advise it.....

Natheo
05-04-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Goddyd4me
how would fiberglassing the inside of the port increase air flow????

a nice fiberglass surface is way smoother than mdf right? just my ****ed way of thinking i suppose.

ss3079
05-04-2003, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Natheo
a nice fiberglass surface is way smoother than mdf right? just my ****ed way of thinking i suppose.

Doubtable that it would make that much of a noticeable difference (Im talking lots). If you want to do it, go ahead, its not going to do anything negative if done correctly.

- Steve

mgaidica
05-04-2003, 10:04 PM
yeh, ive heard of fiberglassin the inside, i guess just for over smoothness and no port noise etc. I know loyd uses resin, along with some others..

awalbert88
05-05-2003, 12:48 AM
Sounds like doing a port/polish job on the intake on a car. Carpet wouldn't make sense, though. Fiberglass wouldn't either unless you really, really sanded it smooth.

mgaidica
05-05-2003, 12:44 PM
talking about fiberglassin the port, im talking about resin, not the actual matting, hope u all understand that.

MaXiMa
05-10-2003, 04:40 AM
**** talk about attention to detail......... fiberglassin a port!!! crazy

mgaidica
05-10-2003, 11:32 AM
i beleive some fiberglass resin the whole box. I'm not sure, but it would also insure a nice seal. For those compeitiors that need that extra .2 dB's.

ss3079
05-10-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by mgaidica
i beleive some fiberglass resin the whole box. I'm not sure, but it would also insure a nice seal. For those compeitiors that need that extra .2 dB's.

Bah, a properly built box wont need that:D

- Steve

mgaidica
05-10-2003, 02:23 PM
true steve, but supposidly it adds a little dB gain, i dunno, i remember readin it a long time ago. And loyd told me he used it.... need his comment...

ss3079
05-10-2003, 02:45 PM
true steve, but supposidly it adds a little dB gain, i dunno, i remember readin it a long time ago. And loyd told me he used it.... need his comment...

For the serious SPL competitor, sure...why the hell not...those .2db's could quite possibly make a huge difference.

- Steve

mgaidica
05-10-2003, 03:21 PM
true, i think that its a waste of money/time for the daily driver.

ss3079
05-10-2003, 03:22 PM
true, i think that its a waste of money/time for the daily driver.

Unless you want it to look good...even then, screw the MDF and just build a fiberglass box.

- Steve

HUDI
05-10-2003, 04:30 PM
even just using resin u wont get it smooth still . Uwill have to sand it like a bastard with some 600 grit wet dry to gett it that sooth even that wont get it that smooth.i think u will be sorry if u do it

evo2k3
05-12-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by HUDI
even just using resin u wont get it smooth still . Uwill have to sand it like a bastard with some 600 grit wet dry to gett it that sooth even that wont get it that smooth.i think u will be sorry if u do it

if he has any skills with fiberglass whatsoever he will be just fine....I have done numerous fiberglass jobs and had no trouble getting them smooth......ESPECIALLY since he only plans to use resien and no matting.

Trixter
05-14-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by HUDI

600 grit on resin:eek:.You would have to sand for about 3 years!!

Knock it down with 60-80 grit. Put on another thin layer just to fill in any pin holes ( you could even use bondo at this point). Finish it up with some 400 and paint away. If you want to get a perfect finish, prime it, wet sand with 600, and then paint.