PDA

View Full Version : how do u measure a fiberglass box before u build it

nismboy6986
05-04-2003, 07:27 PM
how do u measure a fiberglass box that conforms to the contours of your car before u build it. the only i can see to measure a enclosure like this is to pour water into it and then measure the water after u pour it back in some big graduated cylinder or something

Matador
05-04-2003, 08:04 PM
i would like to know this, there r gotta be some other way besides using water or sand.

MikeofTulsa
05-04-2003, 08:06 PM
other than estimating...thats probably one of the most accurate ways to do it.....jus figure out the volume of a given amount of water or sand and fill it up and measure how much u put in........sorry.........

Mark_ab
05-05-2003, 12:01 AM
Measurements, and a rough estimation is the best you can do until the box is actually built.

awalbert88
05-05-2003, 01:45 AM
Well, if it's possible, fill a plastic bag with styrofoam peanuts or something and work it into the area you're going to make the box in. Might have to use some cardboard to support it, depending on the shape. Other than that, there's not a lot of stuff you can do short of estimation.

ramos
05-06-2003, 07:48 AM
The way I alwasy use. Is to figure out the largest box I can fit into the space. Then use some packng peanuts to fill in around the edges. Then figure out the volume of the peanuts. And combine that with the volume of the box. :)

Sspider
05-06-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by ramos
The way I alwasy use. Is to figure out the largest box I can fit into the space. Then use some packng peanuts to fill in around the edges. Then figure out the volume of the peanuts. And combine that with the volume of the box. :)

geez, thats a grat idea...
so you would see the space of taken up by the box, and in the contours just stuff the bags full of peanuts?

sspider

ramos
05-07-2003, 08:24 AM
Yep. That's the easiest way I have found. :)

audiomoney
06-11-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by ramos
Yep. That's the easiest way I have found. :)

me too.:D